New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mmm....mmmm..turnip greens Next Topic  

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  07:14:57 AM  Show Profile
It's true, I'm from the south and yes, I've been growing and eating turnip greens my whole life. The trip to the garden each fall to pick the very first batch of greens of the season is always highly anticipated. Yum, yum...made that trip yesterday...and had a blend of red russian kale, mustard greens and turnip greens for dinner. Fall greens are one of the reasons I garden (tomatoes and sugar snap peas and garlic are a few others.) Anyway, I've been reading the book SuperFoods lately and now know how supercharged with nutritional value greens are. As it turns out, my Grandma was right about this too! Greens are so easy to grow and so healthy and such a breeze to cook (some varieties are also good raw) that I encourage even the beginning gardener to try their luck with greens. Turnip greens have vitamin K, A, C, E, B6, B1, B2, B5, B3, folate, manganese, copper, fiber, calcium, iron, typtophan, phosphorus, omega 3 fatty acids. And, guess what? Only 28 calories per one cup serving! How's that?! We'll be making a trip to the garden today for more greens...yum! (nutritional data from www.whfoods.com) Later in the season as they grow, we'll be roasting the turnips. Any other turnip green fans out there? (Don't know what that smiley face is, but I like it because it looks like it has lipstick on...I ALWAYS have my lipstick on...)

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time."
James Taylor

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  08:37:55 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah, we have always had insect problems with fall gardens--and the greens suffer most, with holes all over them and poop from these critters, too. Not very appealing. Do you spray yours with something like "safer soap"? We like greens (my DH LOVES them) and I also roast the root.

When we get chickens, they'll get greens even if I can't solve the insect problem.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  08:59:39 AM  Show Profile
I love turnip greens too. Next year that is on my list big time!! I grew quite a bit of swiss chard this year and was really pleased with that..but there is nothing like turnip or collard greens!! (southern grandmas got me hooked on greens and fried okra and other other southern stuff even though I grew up in a beach town in Calif)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  9:57:03 PM  Show Profile
I love greens! We bought some from a farmer, I think they were collard greens and turnip greens. They were so good.
I love to go to the farm for fresh, raw goats milk, and whatever fruits and vegetables that are in season.

Eldon cooked this up the southern way, like Grandma Lula used to...bacon, garlic, and greens. YUMMY!

kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  03:46:58 AM  Show Profile
MMMMMMM MMMMMMMMM We enjoyed our fist picking just the other day! I'm originally from Ohio, but can eat and cook a mess of greens as well as most Southern Biddies in these parts. Don't forget the pintoes and corn bread!

Hubby used to makes 'em and include his fried taters. He says The job is mine now 'cause they taste so good. Oh darn, there goes another day when I have to cook, but that's ok!
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  06:59:23 AM  Show Profile
How funny, Anna. Bet yours are great. That always happens to me too...you think I'd learn. And, Kate, "Grandma Lula" makes them just like my Grandma did. But, you might try them without the bacon next time. I've learned that the greens really don't need the bacon or oil(healthier without, of course..by the way,I'm on a health kick lately). I do love garlic with them too. Collards? Wow, did you like those? They have a strong flavor, don't you think? Aunt Jenny, where are your southern Grandmas from? They taught you well! Ann, I really don't have a big problem with the "buggies" in my greens. I never have them in my kale, but sometimes do in my turnip greens. I don't use a thing on anything in my garden for insect control. Now, I have bird feeders all around my garden and I've always thought the birds eat the insects in the garden while they are waiting their turn at the feeder. Speaking of garden instruders (cute ones)I do have deer in my garden. I saw hoof prints all thru the patch yesterday when I went to pick some more greens. But, they didn't really partake, thank goodness!
Any other fall greens fans? How do you cook them?

"All shall be well and all shall be well and all manner of things shall be well."
Julian of Norwich
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  09:38:05 AM  Show Profile
My beloved Grandma Johnson (originally Turner) was born and lived in Binger, Oklahoma until her family moved to Calif during the depression. She was about 16 I think at that point and the oldest of 12 kids.
My other Grandma..Grandma Padgett (originally Ramey) was from Arkansas. Her family moved to Calif. during the depression too. She was the oldest of 9.
They always sprinkled a littler apple cider vinegar over the greens before eating. And there was ALWAYS pintos and cornbread too. My grandparents (Johnson..the ones I was closest to) kept a little cruet of vinegar on the table all the time..right next to the salt and pepper. I love it that way but my family prefers it without the vinegar.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  06:49:14 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I spoke too soon. When I went to pick my greens late yesterday afternoon, I checked on the beet patch. I enjoy beet greens as well, but don't pick them much. I have the notion (could be wrong) that the root develops better when the plant is not working to grow more of the leaves. Anyway, the deer cleaned me out in the beet patch. No beets for me this year...

Julian of Norwich
James Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  07:25:26 AM  Show Profile
Rebekah, if you could plant a patch of clover for those deer closer to where they come from, you might save your garden. We're trying that this fall. They will clean us out of lots of garden produce if they come to investigate, so we hope to keep them at the clover patch. I don't think we ever tried growing kale in the fall.... will have to next year! Thanks for the tip.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mmm....mmmm..turnip greens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page