New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Let the junking begin! Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  3:49:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure this is the spot to post this what with all the decluttering and housecleaning going on but here goes...
It's that time of year and people are cleaning out amazing things they are leaving at the curb for bulk pick up days. I recently became the proud new owner of a very nice legless carved oak library case with the glass door intact! I also found a roll of cocoa matting to use in my wire baskets to be planted soon. A bike, an amazing assortment of oil paints and brushes also found their way home with me and there was plenty of stuff left to go around! Now I will put out an open bookcase I had been using for music storage, so someone else can get lucky! And not a penny exchanged hands! But I think I have to start cleaning out a few more things now! Something in , two things out is my new rule of thumb! Anyone else had a good "junking adventure lately?

with a happy heart

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  7:31:05 PM  Show Profile
We found a very nice Fisher woodstove (will hold a fire all night unlike the franklin stove we have now) at a yard sale for $20 last Saturday. We were thrilled!!! WE have a gas furnace but some years lots of power outages..which mean no heat so we use our woodstove alot..besides..it just feels better than gas heat!! It will go in our family room. It has a pine trees design across the front..I love it!! Just needs the two back legs fixed (welded. Looks like they had the back on something..only has front legs..and they are longer than normal..so my husband can fix that and it will be just what we needed. If only someone had a perfectly good used piano for cheap..hmmm.
Our town had its city wide clean up thing about a month ago. One year we got a perfectly good swingset for free and a bookshelf too. I have put out alot of thing and someone always seems to take them. It is a fun way to get nw stuff and find a home for old stuff!!! We got a new lawn mower one year and put our old one which my husband had said was dead out front and the neighbor kid down the street..about 11 years old...asked if he could take it..of course we said sure..and he fixed it and sold it to another neighbor for $50!!!! Smart kid. Too bad he wasn't my kid!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2005 :  8:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like junking in Utah has been bountiful! I love the sound of your woodstove and not loading wood in the middle of the night is a definite advantage. Now I need some of that lawnmower magic here, we need a new one too! We were told at the John Deere repair place that our lawnmower was now obsolete and parts were no longer available so you know it is O-L-D!!! And it was second hand when we got it!

You might want to try the woodstove company directly, we had a door fall off and crack one time and they replaced it free of charge. You might get replacement legs for the cost of s+h. It's worth a try!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 04 2005 :  11:03:41 AM  Show Profile
Good morning girlfriends!,
I just have to brag a little bit about my wonderful find. I got a Pampered Chef tm heritage collection 16 cup clay baker at a thrift store yesterday for $2:00. It is in perfect condition and originally sold for $32.75 plus tax and shipping. It is now a retired product. I just used it to raise todays batch of bread. I warmed it up in a 200 degree oven and then let it cool in the warm oven while I mixed and kneaded my bread. Put it in the bowl and returned it to the warm oven for 25 minutes. The bread rose very well and was ready to shape into loaves in record time. I am so tickled that I could dance! Can't wait to use it to make Macaroni and cheese!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 04 2005 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile
Wow Eileen what a find! The mac n cheese sounds yummy! I found a air bake cake pan at a Big Lots for three dollars, regular price was twenty something. It was probably mis-marked but I got it anyway. Love those bargains!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  08:28:14 AM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Help .. my computer is in for repair. I recently exchanged addreses with, short term memory loss, I think Bramble for teh blue materials I've have. In teh moving I'm putting aside material for you. If you're the one, please email me your address. I'm using my beau's computer.

Bless,
Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 07 2005 :  8:34:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes Suzy it was me. I never got your adress either so let's try this again. I sent you e-mail via MJF, so let me know if you did or didn't receive it. Thanks again!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 09 2005 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Well, I not only got rid of some "junk" on Saturday - I made $60 doing it. My church holds an annual "garage sale" indoors - you rent a table for $10 and bring in your stuff for 4 hours. I sold some things I had wanted to get rid of, left some for an upcoming church rummage sale, and $2, found a lovely teapot for an upcoming tea party! I am going to be saving things up for next year's sale, but this time I will label everything during the year, and have it ready to go.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  1:40:57 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor just told me that while we were away, this past Saturday our town had a town wide cleanup day where you could put anything out at the curb for pickkup ( or drive by junk napping!) Well , my heart started to beat a little faster thinking that my gosh we missed our chance to ditch some junk but also reclaim someone else's. She said that her husband was at the municipal building and they were talking about what a poor output there had been (Duh...maybe it was the 106 degree heat that made no one feel like dragging junk around?!) So... the plan is to do this again in the fall when it's cooler. Nice to know we didn't miss our chance to purge (or reclaim!) I've got it bad haven't I?!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey -- I always brake for free things by the curb! I need to have that sign on my bumper. The best thing I found was an antique square coffee table that had carved gingerbread on it. I painted that cutie a soft pink and then sold it for $50! Eileen -- great find on the PC baker. I would never have thought about using mine to raise bread in. I got mine at a garage sale for $2.75.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Oooh............ I used to love going Junking in Germany! I have a coffee table, old wooden crates, old sleds, etc.

I also once found a nice leather sofa and chair! Didn't nab it but I should have.

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Let the junking begin! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page