westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  11:30:38 AM  Show Profile
I narrowly averted disaster this morning. I was putting the last items in the big pantry cupboard that holds all my home canned stuff. The cupboard is 4 ft wide, 16 inches deep, and about 7 feet tall, and was completly full. I left the room, and came in a few minutes later to find the cupboard listing forward. It creaked and groaned and in a few seconds would have fallen forward. It is a big heavy thing, I never thought about it falling. I wedged my hip against it and started unloading it, putting the jars on the floor. In the process a big graniteware pitcher fell off the top and glanced off my shoulder. I finally could lean on the cupboard and push it upright. But I had nothing to put under the front edge. I kept looking around and finally could reach a small cast iron skillet, I slipped it under the front and stablized it, then unloaded everything else. So all my summer's work is on the kitchen table, the counter, the top of the washer, and on the floor in the kitchen and pantry. What a scare. Can you imagine the mess that would have made? If it wasn't for the doors the jars would have started falling out before I noticed it. Scary. I might have just run away from home.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  12:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Wo, what caused the listing? Was the floor uneven, or did something break off the cupboard. I'm glad you were able to save your harvest.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  1:02:00 PM  Show Profile
I think now's the time to seriously consider screwing it into the studs behind it. Just to think of all that hard work on the floor is humbling. Thank goodness you averted a disaster.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile
I have mine screwed into the wall just in case! So glad you saved everything!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  1:07:11 PM  Show Profile
I think I just had too much weight on the top and front. The floor isn't terribly level, but not that bad. The cupboard has been in the same spot for about 10 years. I have never had it this full. I am trying to decide the best way to anchor it to the wall.

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  6:06:14 PM  Show Profile
I think I would go to the local home improvement center and ask for some suggestions. They are usually pretty good at having the right stuff for anchoring.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  8:43:27 PM  Show Profile
Kennie Lyn, they make nylon straps that you can use to attach furniture to a wall to keep it from toppling over. It is used to secure furniture in earthquake areas and would work to keep your canned goods upright. I'm so glad you caught it just in time and were able to avoid a messy disaster!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  9:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Well thank God it didn't fall on you. Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  10:04:05 AM  Show Profile
I would have cried right there. All that hard work alone........not to mention the mess!

Glad the crisis was averted in time for sure!!!
Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2012 :  3:10:49 PM  Show Profile
wow, lol me too Netty, when I was reading. glad you are unharmed

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2012 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Get a carpenters level. You know the kind with the bubbles in it and is about 3 and a 1/2 to 4 foot long. Check the cabinet from side to side and front to back. The bubbles will center when it's level. Shim where needed with shingles or slats. Glad you were able to.save your canning.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  09:14:58 AM  Show Profile
WOW so glad that you saved everything. I always learn so much from all the ladies on here. Let us know how you work it out.
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2012 :  3:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions and good wishes. The cabinet was built as a tobacco cabinet in a grocery store, so it is heavy and well built. It has adjustable feet, so DH leveled the feet, then we screwed a rough cut 1x4 to the wall studs, then screwed the cabinet to the board. I have two of these cupboards, fancy dishes are in the other one, we fixed it to the wall also. They have adjustable shelves, so I moved them around, and managed to get more stuff in the canning cupboard. Now that is is screwed to the wall, I am not worried about it falling over. The worst part of the whole thing was when I was pushing against the cabinet keeping it from falling over, and thinking I might have to stay there all day, until DH came home. I am glad I could reach that skillet to prop it up. Everything is so well orgainized now, too bad it never stays that way.

Go to Top of Page

Beth Jones
True Blue Farmgirl

3196 Posts

beth
tallassee alabama
3196 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  06:04:07 AM  Show Profile
Thank goodness you found it when you did..So glad everything came out ok!! Smiles

You can never be to kind!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Cupboard nightmare Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page