RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  05:52:19 AM  Show Profile
My name is Taffy. I live in Southwest Florida. Lehigh/Fort Myers/Labelle area. I would love to connect with Farm Girls in Florida. I have lived here for 34 years, and I am 42.

I am struggling with gardening in Lehigh. This isn't soil. LOL I have chickens. I have hound dogs. I homeschool the remaining child still in school. The other two are in college.

Glad to meet you all. I have been away from here for far to long.
Taffy

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  06:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Taffy, I live in St. Cloud Fl. I have lived here all my life. I am 51 years old. I have 2 boys. Both are out on their own. I have one grandson that lives in Montana. So I hardly ever get to see him. I have been married to my high school sweet heart for 33 years. I have 5 cows plus 3 dogs . One cat. I love to garden. I am trying a new way of gardening right now. You can check it out in the gardening section. Started my winter garden. I posted some pictures there. Glad to meet you......

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

RosesAreRed
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Laurie
Lehigh Acres Fl
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  07:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Dorinda. I will check out the gardening forum. Among my local garden friends there has been a movement towards hydroponics or rain gutter gardening. I am curious to see what you are doing. I would love cows or goats, but I live in the rural like subburbs on a 1/4 acre. The 7 chickens I have are illegal in my county.
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  07:43:16 AM  Show Profile
Hello Taffy,

I do not live in Florida but wanted to say hello and welcome!

Annette
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  10:29:11 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Taffy! Enjoy your time with us.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  11:04:31 AM  Show Profile
My dear sis lives in New Syrmna. Does that count???

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Thirty-One Independent Consultant

www.mythirtyone.com/233237

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  3:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Taffy! I live on the East coast about 5 hours from you. Lived here all my 49 years of life!!! Hey Sherone your sis is just 40 min. from me!

Speaking of soil and gardening, I have a secret garden, the secret is it takes a year to harvest anything! My DH made me a raised box and we planted every seed I had in it. Well, sweet potatoes grew 6 months later. All of a sudden this vine was growing everywhere but not a single flower or vege so I did not even think it was a root vege. LOL

I told my DH go pull that weed out of my box!!! He came back to the door with a handful of sweet potatoes!!! Small and dryed up!!! Then, that same vine came back only to have 2 more small sweet potatoes.

And, it gets even more amazing and funny. The other day, now mind you this is from last summer's planting.....he decided to weed it on his own. Knock on the door....a nice beautiful red onion!!! LOL

The only vege that survived and was edible!!! Now, I ask all of you seasoned gardeners what in the world happened. Or, in this case what in the soil happened???? :D

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com

www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2012 :  6:26:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Taffy, I lived in Lehigh for a year, I was raised in Indiana lived there until we moved to FL in 98, North Port area for 3 yr., then to OK for 5 years, then back to FL, Lehigh for 1yr, Naples for 3yr., now back in North Port . Not moving anymore unless its to the nursing home. I have been attempting FL gardening since my first year here, its so different from up north. I haven't had alot of success, I think sometimes it would be cheaper for me to just buy at the store, but I refuse to give up. I thought you could have chickens in Lehigh, we lived on Susan Ave. N., 1 mile from the libary and they were around us. Welcome and lets stay in touch, maybe we can get together sometime. Karla

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2012 :  11:48:43 AM  Show Profile
I have gardened in north FLorida for many years. It is tricky. You would think it would be great since there is no snow. But there are a lot of pests and not great soil. I go home to my midweat family sometimes and marvel at the size of their tomatoes, etc. And the number of tomatoes, compared to mine, too. But I keep gong as you say. Right now I have broccoli doing well. And still have peppers coming on too. Happy southern gardening!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2012 :  3:07:08 PM  Show Profile
Hi Taffy, I live in Dunedin-just above Clearwater on the Gulf coast. Welcome here. We're so glad that you found us farmgirls. You'll have fun here.
My DD and SIL have a big farm in NC but are thinking about moving here and having a hydroponic farm.
What did you use for the bottom of the raised bed? I haven't grown anything here in Florida and I really want to try this year and thought raised bed may be the best way to go. I want to put it on a concrete slab but don't know what I should use for the bottom or how deep the dirt should be.
Again Taffy, Glad to have you here. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2012 :  2:12:19 PM  Show Profile

Hi Taffy,
Welcome to the forum. I live in Florida also and have a small winter garden going now. It is only about 7 weeks, but as you can see my plants are showing signs of growth. Carrots, Japenese eggplant, tomatoe and green beans. I have a small raised bed garden 4 x 4. I filled the bed with inexpensive top soil and added manure from the school barn. I also added mushroom mulch (Lowe's). We are certainly challanged here in FL do to the sandy soil. I am not an expert by no means. This is a learning experience for me and trying to get that brown thumb into green!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  06:26:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Taffy!

Welcome from Minnesota! I don't know anything about Florida soil, but you might want to check out the documentary, "Back to Eden." It's about turning your yucky soil into something usable. You can see it free online here: http://backtoedenfilm.com/

Have you ever tried Square Foot Gardening? You basically bring in all your organic matter and don't even really use your soil underneath it all. I did that when I lived in the burbs and it did really well. The organic matter is called "Mels Mix" after the author Mel Bartholomew. Basically it's compost, peat moss and vermiculite. You might want to check that out too. You can go here: http://www.squarefootgardening.org/home and here: http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/

Well, welcome back and enjoy your time on the "farm!"

Farmgirl Hugs,
~April :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Taffy!
I'm not from Florida . . a long way from there but . .
a big, huge, Colorado Rocky Mountains sized welcome to you!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2013 :  05:19:06 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Taffy. I live in the northeast corner of Florida. I live in Fernandina Beach by Amelia Island. You will have so much fun and meet so many wonderful ladies here. Have fun.

Nancy
Farmgirl Sister 32301

Make everyday a celebration of the heart.
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Florida Farm girls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page