Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New sewing machine help please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New sewing machine help please Next Topic  

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I'm sure I could google this and get an answer, but I want to hear from you ladies that sew.
I have my mother's old singer sewing machine, she bought it used in the 60's in CA. I am terrible at sewing, and I really don't know how to use the machine well. I can thread the bobbin, plop it in there and press the petal/ close my eyes/ and pray I get the fabric stitched together. My friend thinks I need a new simpler machine. Do I? If so what kind should I get? I can't spend much at all. I welcome any and all tips and help.
I really would like to make a simple square quilt from my 3 daughter's baby clothes

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  12:00:07 PM  Show Profile
You're right about Googling for info. I've even found entire instruction manuals for various products in PDF format that you can print out. Very handy. It's possible you'd be happier with a new model. Singer has their name on some that you can get for around $100. I bought one recently at Jo-Ann Fabrics and have been very happy with it. It even comes with a DVD full of tutorials.

That said, I'd love an old treadle machine for simple sewing. I learned to sew on one of those. I've seen some beautiful ones for sale online, but way too pricey for me.

Edited by - Rosemary on Nov 25 2012 12:01:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  12:08:25 PM  Show Profile
If purchased during the 60's, I would have to know the model name. I had a Golden Touch n' Sew that wasn't worth being used as a boat anchor. However, I believe Singer is now back on track to being a much better sewing machine. Downloading an instruction manual is a good idea and would help a lot.

I have a 1952 Singer Featherweight that IS worth it's weight in gold. But it is a very basic machine--sews backward and forward and that's about it.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  1:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Betty I too have the Featherweight Of my dreams. Heather there are some machines that are just a pain in the Butt But really it is just a machine and can do anything you want it to.

Good Luck
Diana
;)

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2012 :  5:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Heather, youtube would be a good place to look for videos on the basics of a machine - possibly even your model in particular.

Also, www.patternreview.com is a fantastic source for all things sewing related. There is a section devoted to sewing machines so you stand an extremely good chance of finding someone who owns your model and could help you.

Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

hwright95
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Heather
Murfreesboro TN
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  4:08:21 PM  Show Profile
thanks! , oops it's a White model, I can't find the model #. Funny I've always called it the old singer machine. it goes forward and reverse, I don't know if it does anything else.

Heather Wright~ Farmgirl Sister #2187 “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
#8213; Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
www.vintagekarmajewels.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2012 :  8:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Aw, ladies...I sold my 1958 Featherweight several years ago during a very lean time for my husband and me. It was nearly mint, in its pristine carrying case and everything. Y'all are making me cry!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New sewing machine help please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page