Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Changing it up a little bit this year..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Changing it up a little bit this year.. Next Topic  

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2012 :  10:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
My hubby, little girl and I were out shopping at Big Lots today and when we got to the Christmas Decor my daughter found these ornaments that she just fell in love with. They are these clear birds with bright pink and glittery big swirly wings and tails. I honestly think they are kinda wierd but she is 6 so to her they are awesome, lol. The sheer look of delight on her face melted me and we ended up deciding that we are going to change our decor up a bit this year and instead of the normal country/rustic theme tree, our tree will be decorated in a bright glittery kind funky style. Im looking forward to getting started decorating next weekend. Has this ever happened to any of you farmgirls? :-)

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  03:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Hi Colina,
Sounds fun! Now all you need is a vintage silver tree with the color wheel to go with! Now that sounds awesome!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  07:57:21 AM  Show Profile
We went through this one year with my son. Not so much the funky, but wanting to change ornaments, so that we redid our whole scheme. We put toy ornaments on the tree and loaded up under the tree with vintage toys, and added some old fashioned decorations around the house. It made him very happy. The following year he went right back to where we had been before, so it was a nice memory.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
Teri.. I remember having one of those when i was younger! Phyllis.. that sounds nice :-) She is our only child so I try to go along with her ideas because I know Ill never get these moments back and the enjoyment she gets out of it is worth so much to me. Happy holidays ladies!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  08:42:21 AM  Show Profile
I've changed a lot in my decorating style since Violet was born. She's almost 4, and I found myself, last year, oohing and aaahing over display Christmas trees that had colored lights and all sorts of "candy" and cupcake ornaments. Violet has a REAL sweet tooth and she walked right up to that tree in Macy's and tried to take a bite out of the ornaments :) Like you, when I saw those eyes light up and sparkle, I bought some colored lights and a bunch of ornaments that are shaped like sweets. I bake, so it works :)

I find that I'm trying to recapture my own favorite parts of my childhood, especially in decorations since she was born. My Great Grandmother had this lovely little paper mache Christmas village and though I can't find it (I've seen it here and there at antique shops and WOW is it pricey!), I've found some similar Christmas houses at Homegoods and they have LED lights and they're just adorable. Last year, Violet kept climbing up on the desktop where I had them displayed and would peer into the windows and knock on the little tiny doors. Really sweet!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Nov 19 2012 08:55:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  10:34:04 AM  Show Profile
Colina - I LOVE that you are letting your daughter fly with this! What a wonderful mother! Christmas is really a time of wonder for children, and letting her choose and make a special contribution is such an awesome thing! Kudos to you! You're mother of the year in my book!!!

I change up my decorations every year! I think it's really important to take cues from your kids to bring out the wonder and magic of Christmas! We've had many different themes over the year, and I cherish every one. But the funniest story I have is about the year that he decorated all by himself when he was about six years old - he was a big boy, after all, so we weren't allowed to help. This was HIS thing. I swear he spent a good two hours adding ornaments all over one small section of the tree - it was such a hoot! After he went to bed, I re-arranged a few of them to make it look a little more spread out. At the time, we had a couple of stuffed Christmas elves under the tree, watching and reporting in to Santa every night. In the morning, he was really furious with them for playing with his creation. He said, "Oh NO! MOM! Those creepy little elves made a mess of my tree!" and then stomped over and kicked one clear across the room! LOL!!! 'Sure glad he didn't figure out it was me! He really doesn't enjoy decorating as much now as he did when he was wee little, but I'll be danged, if I move even one ornament that he has placed on the tree, he raises his eybrow, gets that evil little sparkle in his eye, glares straight at me, and I just KNOW he's remembering the joy he got out of kicking that poor little elf! LOL! Oh... and if you're wondering... those little elves haven't been seen in years... I'm sure they're still hiding in the attic amidst a box of tinsel somewhere! ;)

Happy Christmas!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile
My grandma used to buy us our own little tree in our room to decorate however we liked and have a decoration making party for us and we loved that!! But I also think that changing up the deco style brings a new freshness to Christmas and living in your kids delight is a wonderful way to share it through their eyes. What ever you do have fun and joy with each other!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  7:16:29 PM  Show Profile
We change ours now and then, but mostly it's every time we bring a new furbaby in the house. We end up with the "little" tree when there's a new one. Otherwise, they think it's a new toy.

Hang on to your children's antics, ladies. They don't stay young and the memories will be wonderful when you are older.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs

Edited by - pinokeeo on Nov 19 2012 7:18:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  10:12:49 PM  Show Profile
Your daughter will feel more at home if she has some input about things. Tell her you will take turns with each family member decorating if they wish. Take lots of pictures and make it a real memory. Another thing you might do is to get a small tree for her room and let her decorate her room. Have fun.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Colina
Homosassa FL
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  5:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Send rubyleesmom a Yahoo! Message
Im loving the stories ladies :-) Thanks for the sweet comments (although I am waaaaay far from being mama of the year, lol). Hopefully we will be able to at least get the tree decorating started tomorrow once we get home from celebrating with the in laws!
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2012 :  7:21:00 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I am smiling as I read everyones comments. When I was a child, my great-great uncle bought a silver tree and color wheel for our family. I still feel a thrill when I remember laying under that tree and watching the colors change. Magical.

Pam
Farmgirl #1075
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Changing it up a little bit this year.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page