Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 We bought a bigger chunk of dirt!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We bought a bigger chunk of dirt! Next Topic  

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  08:36:42 AM  Show Profile
Hubbs and I got a wonderful deal on 18.86 acres just a few miles from where we are now.
Our current house is 100 yards from I-80, and across the little valley are the train tracks. The ranch that was there when I grew up was sold to the County and is being developed into a railport. Good for diversifying the local economy, smart idea to put it right of I-80 and the exits/on-ramps, but it has created headaches for us.
Town is finally growing around us (parents and Hubbs have only been talking about "when town makes its way out here" for 15-20 years!). The lots around us are being developed quickly and the open space I used to ride my horses through is quickly disappearing!

BUT our new place is 3 more miles down I-80 for the exit, and then 12 miles off the pavement. A much better main road than we currently have, WAY more space and open land. Nearest neighbors are at least a mile away. We'll be in between 2 ranches that we have friends living on/owning. Maybe we'll do more "cowboyin", have our Hay burner horses earn their keep a little!

One side is bordered by BLM land, so no building will happen there, just open range cows (a headache themselves!). We'd like to see if we can get a hold of the owners of the lots bordering ours and eventually buy those too.

It's literally nothing but sage brush right now.
Developing it is going to be a few years, a little at a time. First will be surveying to find our borders, then fencing (to possibly put our animals on in the spring), witching it to find water and then putting in the well. Somewhere in there we'll have to put in a new, easier access road.

It's exciting to have papers in hand tho! Just waiting on transfer of deed from the County!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  09:06:25 AM  Show Profile
Yahoo! Always nice when you can find a chunk of property. Sage brush gets better over the years too. My folks started with 13 acres of sage brush. :) It's pretty nice now.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile
Congrats to you and your hubby.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  05:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations Alicia. What a wonderful find!
How exciting all that planning and dreaming
for your new homestead.
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We bought a bigger chunk of dirt! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page