kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  3:55:13 PM  Show Profile
I have sold all my "laying" hens but 4 Red Stars and an Americana roo. He's going to a friend soon though. So this is the least amount of chickens I have ever had. These hens are all under a year old and never once laid an egg. The Barred Rocks. I got them the same time my friends up the road got some from the same guy on the same day. Theirs are all laying eggs. SO mine are outta here. Of the 4 Red Stars (the same age) 2 are laying and have been for about 2 1/2 months now. I know it's those 2 chickens because they are always getting out and they lay under the hay feeder. Every day, 2 beautiful dark brown almost red eggs.

And I butchered all 50 Freedom Ranger meat birds. Just finished the last 12 last Sat. I won't do any more of them unless I have a chicken tractor. None of them weighed over 4 pounds at 15 weeks old.

I will probably get more laying hens next year. Or maybe not. I think it's going to be cheaper to buy eggs.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2012 :  10:32:00 AM  Show Profile
We raised Freedom Rangers a couple years ago and they took around 20 weeks to get to a size we wanted for our family. It was just way too long and I was very disappointed too. I have to admit we went a different direction this year with our meat chickens and didn't go back to freedom rangers.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  02:40:07 AM  Show Profile
It might be cheaper to buy the eggs but the homegrown ones are soooo much better for you. I have seen articles where the vitamin content is like 10x more in homegrown eggs. My daughter has read some articles that say it is 100x more. The homegrown eggs are also raised in a much cleaner environment. I have been told that all storebought eggs contain traces of salmonella. It's not really enough to make us sick but it brings down our immune system a few notches having to fight it off all the time. Get some more red stars Kristin, dont give up. Just my 2 cents worth. I feel like getting rid of all of mine sometimes. I just get tired of going out in the cold and taking care of them. And I HATE cleaning chicken pens. But I continue because I think it's healthier for my family.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  06:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I seen eggs at the grocery store are at $1.89 now it cost me $2.00 a dozen so i will keep my chickens for now. I have heard about the freedom rangers and they frow so much slower than the cornish cross.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!

http://homesteddinmomsworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  08:43:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the review on the Freedom Rangers. I won't get those next time we order!

Kristin, I've had great luck with the Silver Laced Wyandottes. They lay nice brown eggs, have a good feed conversion rate, and are very friendly and personable to boot! They are by far my favorite hens.

I too feel that the cost of having hens, buying feed, cleaning coops, is worth it in the long run. Farm fresh eggs are soooo much better! You know just how fresh they are, or aren't. They taste better, bake better. Just my 2 cents =)

Hope you have better luck with your girls and future chicken endeavors!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  1:11:22 PM  Show Profile
WAY cheaper to buy the eggs but I can't stand store eggs anymore - they just taste bland and yuvcky to me! Always cracks me up when our 'city relatives' tell us how great it must be to save money and raise our own pork/chicken/etc/etc. It's all I can do NOT to laugh. Yeah, there is a reason we raise our own...but we aren't saving ANY money doing it (unless you're counting MAYBE medical costs in the future...but anyhow...)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  8:35:26 PM  Show Profile
I feel like I should tell you all how many happy chicken customers I have right now. I have had several calls from people wanting more FR chickens but they are all sold. They all say how good they are. So you all should at least give the FR a try. I will again, but in chicken tractors and not so many at a time again. I think that's where I went wrong with how long it took for them to get big faster. These chickens are not meant to get big fast like the CC. And that's what makes them taste so much better. So please don't let me discourage any of you from trying this chicken over the CC at least once. I think you will like their overall "chicken-ness". They are able to run and forage and eat frogs and bugs and grass and get around like a regular chicken.

And I so agree about the "real" farm fresh eggs. I have always had people tell me how good my eggs are. And how yellow and solid the yolks are. I still cannot make myself buy any from the store yet. I will pay $5 a dozen from the farmer's market first.

And I will probably get more of these Red Star hens next year. Right now I am just enjoying having only 4 to keep up with. I just need a little chicken break. I will always have chickens.

I am still not feeding them anything but kitchen scraps and am still getting 1-2 eggs a day.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  3:00:36 PM  Show Profile
The darker the yolk the more nutritional value in the egg.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2012 :  4:11:23 PM  Show Profile
I definitely prefer raising rabbits for meat than chickens when it comes to processing :) Plus, I get a useful pelt, too.

I did CornishXs for meat one year, never again! Maybe I'll try a few Freedom Rangers...

If you are finding the cost of feed prohibitive, have you considered a rare breed and incubating eggs to sell chicks? I paid for all my summer feed this year by selling chicks from day old to starteds :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Down to 4 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page