Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic lilpunkin's place Next Topic  

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  09:08:54 AM  Show Profile
Well Gurlz, I told you a few weeks back that we were in the process of buying our property (70 acres). We are in! We got our keys yesterday and signed the final papers. We will be living in temporary living on the property while we build our home. So we moved all of our furniture into it yesterday. Boy were we in for a suprise! I moved from a 2,000 sq. foot home into about 900-1000 square feet. My furniture is alot bigger than I thought it was, but it is going to work. My DH was so excited to be in that he wanted to spend the night over there. We put up our bed and were in it by 9:30. It was so quiet and dark, it actually made it kind of hard to sleep. Plus with all the excitement and all. There are some things that we will have to do like put more cabinets in the kitchen and finish out some things in the rest of the place. But it as all stuff that this farmgirl loves to do. I am also going to scope out the best place for a small garden and a chicken coop. I wanted to get started on that coop ASAP so my friend will give me those chickens. How exciting!!!
Well gurlz, I thought I would give you a little update. I will keep updating as new events arise. I am so glad that I can share this with all of you.
Oh by the way, we are trying to come up with a name for our ranch. Maybe you gurlz could give some sugestions. That could be fun!

lilpunkin

lilpunkin

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
ahh .. the stuff dreams are made of .. and that 'downsizing' is such a great thing to do i think. for the life of me .. i can't figure out why people MY age choose to buy big monster McMansions ... to have to caretake .. but .. different strokes for different folks .. and i'm sure not judging it .. that too, is some people's dream ..BIG! we went from a huge home to two small log cabins .. and it is delightful! congratulations and have lotsa' fun .. and post pics! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:09:45 AM  Show Profile
lilpunkin, Congrats!!!!! It sounds like so much fun. I know it will be a lot of work but it will all be yours from the ground up! Keep us updated!!
Kel
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  2:03:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting excited for just reading your post! Yes, please do keep us up to date! We love this stuff!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  3:18:31 PM  Show Profile
Where are you located? Do you have some pictures??? We wanna see!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  04:46:28 AM  Show Profile
Yippie, another farmgirl living her dream!! So happy for you, but do share more details so we can help you name it and post pics if you can, where are you?

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  11:22:14 AM  Show Profile
lilpunkin, this is so wonderful to read about. 70 acres-excellent! Yes, please tell us more about your farm!
Ellen in MI :)
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile
hey gurlz! OK well first we are located in Westcliffe, CO. A very small town which I love to pieces. Right now we are in temporary living on the property as we will build our house. But we wont start that until next year or so, maybe longer. In the meantime we will prepare the ground for our house. Up here its more like ranches not farms. But in my eyes it will be my farm. We do have some pasture area on the property, but alot of it is mountain. Can you grow a garden on a slant?! LOL!
We have all of our stuff moved in, now to find a spot for it all. I think I am going to make a run to goodwill to drop a few things off.
Now as far as the "ranch" name, i was thinking like Lonestar Ranch, or Aspen Creek. Something along those lines. I will send some pics as soon as I take some to give you gurlz a better idea.
OK well I am off to do a few things, like eat breakfast! I will be back later.
lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile
Lilpunkin,

Congratulations! It's so exciting to hear about your move.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2006 :  11:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Congrats, lilpunkin! Wow! 70 acres sounds like the Ponderosa to me! When you hear the 'right name' for your place, you'll know it. I doodled names on pieces of paper, thought about names the last thing before going to sleep at night, asked everybody I knew for ideas. Then one day, it just named itself! It flatly refused to accept any other name!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2006 :  4:46:30 PM  Show Profile
Well this week I have been working very hard. Whewww I am tired. But I am having a blast! I have been lining rocks in our drive, skip troweling on the walls, cleaning, unpacking, and mostly dreaming. Oh, I just cant wait til spring. I am thinking of all the things I want to plant and the chickens I will have. Does anyone have any good building plans for a chicken coop? I want to get that started. Right now my DH is out of town, but i am making a list for him...oh won't he be thrilled! Also the company that we gave our house plans to called today. She wants to set up an apponitment to talk it all over, pricing and all that kind of stuff. So that is vey exciting. I just dont know how long it will be before we actually build. Especially since winter is basically here. we are expecting snow this week again. It doesnt really last long, but it sure makes a mess. And you cant really build here in the winter. Anyway, I want you all to know that I love this site and I love talking to you gurlz. I really need to get my sister on here. She is the one that got me hooked onto MJ anyway. You will love my sis, she is fun!
We are still thinking over our name. I will let you all know when its "right". Also, what are some things that I should do now to prepare for my spring garden? I want to grow things like pumpkins, sunflowers, and some things to eat too.
ok gurlz, I am off for now. Gotta go get some things done. Until next time,
lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2006 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile
So, I was looking back in the past postings for chicken coop ideas for you (and for me, too - I'd just LOVE a new one!) and I found a link to this - a CHICKEN MOAT!!! I SO want one!!! It was posted by amystew, who I haven't heard from here in a long time, but it's on her blog...[http://humboldthens.blogspot.com/2006/03/chicken-moat.html#links]

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Libbie! I look forward to getting one built in the near future. Maybe when we get them done we could send pics to see how they came out.

lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  09:50:37 AM  Show Profile
YAY!! It's always exciting to move and explore new property, and find your paradise.

What about Aspen Hill?
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  11:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Wow Lilpunkin!!Congrats. It is hard to believe it was 30 years ago we found our place in the sun. We called it Horse Fever Farm. And sad to say our rural area became suburbia and we were not so gently moved out. We now live on a nice little place that once was a strawberry farn and left us the sign which I put up. It is Strawberry Hill Farm. So I guess we are named whether we want to be or not. So have fun dreaming and planning and just doing.

Life may not be the party we hoped for....but while we are here we may as well dance!
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  3:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
Sounds AWESOME lil punkin:)I'm envious

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  1:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Just a suggestion lilpunkin - you might want to wait before you put up your chicken coop or put a garden in, or even locate your house. After you experience all 4 seasons you'll have a better idea where the sun shines, where the rain runs, where the snow piles up. It may make it easier to build your house or knowing where to put your garden knowing you won't have mountain run off running through it!

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Tabigirl
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Tabitha
Kent WA
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  5:52:52 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new place. Reading you enthusiastic postings is inspiring to me. We have been having a lot of rain up here in Washington and I noticed my chicken coop has developed a couple of leaks. Must figure out something to keep my girls dry :>) Have fun with your wonderful 70 acres and enjoy your farm!
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  3:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Hey GURLZ! Thanks for all the awesome advice and congrats. I am loving my new place to pieces! We have been so busy lately working on our house. I think I told you gurlz before that we are in temporary living on our property until we build our house. So in our temporary home we have been doing a little fixin up. We have put in new light fixtures, knotty pine wains coating(the real wood), and I have been skip troweling all the walls. It has been so much fun. And its amazing how a little bit of work can make such a huge change. When we get our house built, the temorary living will become guest quarters for our company, if they want more privacy than staying in the house with us.
My husband did meet with the builder about our house plans, and we are getting all the estimates on building. I am looking forward to maybe building in spring. So I wont have alot of time for gardening if we do build then. But it will give me plenty of time to figure out the land and where we want to put everything. Until then, I am enjoying all the beautiful sunsets that God has painted for me everyday.
I hope all is well with all of you.
Lilpunkin
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  3:19:42 PM  Show Profile
Ohhhh! How exciting!!!! It will be a wonderful Thanksgiving, indeed!!!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  1:51:44 PM  Show Profile
I am so happy for you . . . trying not to be jealous but just happy! It sounds absolutely wonderful! Beautiful sunsets . . . Sunset Farm could be a possible name? Keep us posted! It is fun to hear of the progress from everyone!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  9:16:26 PM  Show Profile
oh chile ...congrats and happiness! and the perfect name will present itself when you least expect it. keep us posted! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic lilpunkin's place Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page