Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Car Free Next Topic  

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  6:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I have been living without a car for about 7 months. I usually ride my bike or I walk to work. Is there anyone else that is car free?

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  8:28:39 PM  Show Profile
I wish. But being car free is not in my immediate future. For the time being... it's careful planning for trips to town. Picking up things from the stores on the way back from appointments. Trying to save gas as much as possible. And... I love the days when I just get to stay home and go no where!!!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  8:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Hi Angie, Have you ever thought of buying some of your groceries through Walmart online? They have free shipping if you order over $45 and it is delivered right to your door. Granted not everything is offered online but it sure has help me especially with the dog food. lol

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  8:53:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd surely order from Walmart if they delivered here, but they don't. I'll have to ask about that next visit there.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  9:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
You go to their website and order and it is shipped to you UPS. They ship all over the country.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  07:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Julie I had no idea they would ship any grocery items. I was wondering where I could do more of my grocery shopping online. Thanks for the info.

Malena
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  07:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Well, they don't ship EVeryThing, example fresh fruit, bread,.. things like that. But they do ship tons of other stuff. That's how I get most of my groceries. I still have to go to the store to get things like milk, bread (if I don't make my own), fruit, cheese, and butter.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  08:20:35 AM  Show Profile
We are 15 miles from town, and about 5 from our church and ladies club hall, so I am stuck with a car, actually a 4 wheel drive pickup. I sometimes wish I had a buggy horse.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2012 :  10:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Once I stop teaching 40 miles from home (last day tomorrow!) I will be able to cut down my car usage even more. Unfortunately, there is no bus service in our town, so that is not an option. But even so, I know we can do better about keeping trips to a minimum. The cost of living rurally is that a car is a necessity at this point.

I will check into the Walmart shipping. I have to wonder where the price increase is to cover the shipping because even though it says free, you pay for it somewhere. But I will certainly check!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  04:18:49 AM  Show Profile
Julie,
Will have to check out the online thing! Didn't know that.

I was car free for several years and had 4 small kiddos at the time!
We lived in an area that had a good bus system tho as well as we could walk a short walk to a large grocery store! I would have 2 in the double stroller and my son and his sister would walk with a wagon that carried a few groceries for our walk back!
Those days seemed a bit rough at the time?
Looking back now? Some great and fun memories .

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2012 :  04:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Now I know I couldn't have done it with 4 small children... God Bless You!

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2012 :  09:20:25 AM  Show Profile
I do know a few people who do not have cars. All single guys. It is hard out here, we are a long way from anywhere. We do have a post office, a little store for basic groceries, and a very good restaurant. But for anything else it is at least 15 miles. Some of these guys ride horses or 4 wheelers, around the valley, but others walk, 6 or 8 miles round trip from their places to the store or post office. They bum rides with neighbors, if they have to to town. Public transportation just isn't feasible, even if we all used it, there still wouldn't be enough users to pay expenses.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2012 :  09:24:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
WOW... I don't know what to say. I like the idea of having a horse... ugh...can't have one in town. Bummer.

Julie
Farmgirl #399

Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  04:28:56 AM  Show Profile
What a great topic..
Azure Standarad in Oregon ships all over the country also...and they are 99 percent organic...and bulk...

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic Car Free Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page