Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  11:58:40 AM  Show Profile
This morning is SO cold at our house! AND...to make matters worse, I don't want to turn the furnace on at all until I get new filters, AND...my fire wouldn't start! I burned up all of the junk mail I had trying to get it to start, then I remembered someone here saying something about dryer lint and paraffin - I didn't have any paraffin, but I had some dryer lint (thanks to the rainy weather lately) and so I stuffed an old 18-pack cardboard egg carton with it and then made the little teepee of kindling around it - then lit the carton, and voila! A no-fail fire-starter!!! Yay! Warmth!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  12:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Isn't life great when something finally works after trying

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 04 2006 12:20:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  12:07:22 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,
Wow to think of all the dryer lint that I threw out over the years, I do so much laundry we could all start a fire. Glad that worked for you, I will remember that tip should I run into the no start fire problem.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  12:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
nancy
I think we all could have so much I know some people who save it to stuff dolls they say it is clean link I always have to laugh at that. It is true but such a weird statement

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  4:27:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Libbie, So glad you found some warmth today!!
Also coffee grounds (dried) with paraffin works and pinecones (with or without paraffin).

I am looking forward to fire weather. DH is out cutting up a dead oak, on our property, that he and 13 yo took down the other day. That should last a week or so LOL!!

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 6 months!!
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Our boy scouts carry dryer lint on every campout. It's the VERY BEST fire starter! Never know if there will be enought dry kindling to be had! BSA motto is, after all, BE PREPARED!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2006 :  11:35:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
One thing I learned on a camping trip is about heat saps. Sometimes a cold fire place or cold ground can actually lower the temperature so much that even dry stuff won't get started, so next time build as "fire protector". If I was burning junk mail, I would lay two or three pieces on the fire grate or bottom of the fireplace and prop up two more in an inverted V shape. Then in the center of the inverted V ontop of the several pieces of junk mail I would try to start with crumpled paper and dry small sticks. Dryer lint is great too. Just remember to clean out the inside of your dryer as all the flamable stuff sometimes gets stuck around the heating element too!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2006 :  09:14:20 AM  Show Profile
Another take on the dryer lint parafin Boy scout fire starters are to save all your candle remains(you know that last little bit you can't burn) and melt them all down in a low temp pan. Stretches the parafin/wax a little and dryer lint is never in short supply!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  08:55:52 AM  Show Profile
Here's another easy fire-starter. Form a bundle of wooden matches (6-8) and tie with cotton string, leaving about a four-inch tail. Holding the tail, dip the bundled matches into melted candle wax, getting the wax about an inch up the string. Let it dry on wax paper. To start you fire, just pile your kindling around it and light the "wick" on the bundle. It will burn down and once the wax melts the matches will ignite. It gives a constant, slow burn so the kindling has a chance to ignite. Another benefit of the wax is that it makes the whole affair water-proof (and thus a great light-weight fire starter for camping). Also would be a good activity for a scout group before a camping trip.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2006 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Here is what I make!

Save dryer lint, old candles and the cardboard style egg cartons. Fill each hole of the carton with dryer lint. I pack mine pretty full. Then melt old candles and wax and pour over the lint being careful not to pour too much too fast or it soaks through the egg carton. You probably want to set them onto a newspaper first. Let cool and harden. When you are ready to start a fire just tear or cut off one section of the eggcarton and take a match to the carton part.

It works great but MAKE SURE you store them in a cool place because since the wax is not tightly compacted it melts a little easier than a regular candle. Maybe even store them in the freezer in the warmer months!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  04:45:43 AM  Show Profile
Another fire starter -

We gather pine cones in the fall and put them in a basket next to the fireplace. They dry out and burn very quickly due to the resin in them, and they burn just a little longer than paper or cardboard. Sometimes that makes all the difference in the world when trying to start wood that is just slightly damp.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2006 :  08:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Not a fire "starter" but fun...I keep little bundles of dried herbs and things from the garden to toss into the fire...sure makes it smell wonderful in here!!
It has been wood stove weather for sure this past week...brrrrrr

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile
We just lay the wood like log cabin style, place rolled paper under them, and open the door a little as we are lighting it. The opened door creates an updraft helps the fire to start much quicker. Our electric went out last night due to an accident close by but the house was really warm. My puppies were pretty warm with mom even though they did not have their heating pad. There's nothing like the warmth from a woodburner.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2006 :  3:31:03 PM  Show Profile
If you have any cedar trees, even small ones, anc can cut them down, instead of cutting 18inch pieces, cut them into 6-8 inch pieces, and then you can use a hatchet to slice off some slivers each night. Our littel 6-8 inch piece will start 3 or 4 fires. Cedar is easy to chop with the little hatchet and it burns well too.
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile
MMMMMmmm....I'll bet the cedar smells just wonderful when it burns, like the herbs would. Those are the reasons that I'd just love an open fireplace, but the woodstove just heats the house so well, it would be REALLY hard to give it up.

Thank you all for all of the ideas - it's no fun to have the "makings" for a fire and then not be able to get it to light. Never again!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

KittyJo
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

KittyJo
Morral Ohio
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  2:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Mornin', Ya'll! I just ran across this thread (and this site, for that matter)by accident when I was looking for ornaments to craft, and had to join to add my 2 cents worth.
We've battled the fire starter thing too, and have gone through many, many boxes of newspaper and sales flyers (the glossy ones are definitely no good!) I really like the dryer lint idea... I'll be saving mine from now on!
We've had more of a problem finding kindling that will burn long enough to catch the wood on fire. The other day I was looking out and realized that we have a vast supply of kindling all around us.... Cornstalks! We're surrounded with harvested fields covered in short pieces of cornstalks that are just the right size and they burn just the right length of time! Now I can just wrap them in waxed fluff and light them!

~Be Blessed!!!~
KittyJo
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2006 :  5:29:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey - we have cornstalks all over the place, too! I'd never thought of them... Thanks, KittyJo! And welcome to the 'Connection! Be sure to head on over to the Welcome Wagon section and introduce yourself so we can all give you a proper farmgirl welcome...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2006 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I finaly got a new dryer (after 2 years) and have started using the lint as fire starter...it is wonderful! Not only does it start the fire quickly, but it is free and abundant! This was a great tip!

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  5:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I hate to burst everyone's bubble about the dryer lint but I have some concerns.

I too used dryer lint as well as the cardboard toilet paper rolls as a fire starter the past couple of years.

We had several chimney fires which was unusual so that got me thinking as to why this was happening.

I decided that it could be from the glue in the toilet paper rolls OR it could be the polyester/nylon/etc. in the dryer lint.

So this year, I banned these items from the wood stoves. Instead I have been melting old candle pieces and pouring the wax (thinly of course) over sticks, bark, popcicle sticks, corn cobs, and cardboard egg cartons (got a bunch at an auction with other stuff). I use newspaper, NOT the colored glossy stuff, that's bad stuff, crinkled up in a pile laying wax sticks on the newspaper then putting kindling over that. Once it gets going I add the firewood.

So far, the chimney is not showing any signs of build-up.
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  1:45:37 PM  Show Profile
Libbie.. I share the same routine every morning. We have no furnace and the wood stove is a antique round oak parlor stove in my dining room. It happens to have a vent on the top and my trick is to use the lint stuffed into a toilet paper tube along with a pine cone, I make up a bunch of these. And to really get it ripping I use the hair dryer in the vent, works great!!! Nice to hear that I'm not the only one freezin'

In His presence
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Starting a stubborn fire... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page