hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  7:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever tried to can meals in jars wet or dry? Id love some instructions!

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet elev.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2012 :  9:11:41 PM  Show Profile
I have not yet been able to do so, Terri, but the farmgirls told me to pressure cook your canned meals for the ingredient that requires the highest pressure and longest time. (I.e. if beef is your ingredient that requires the highest temp and longest time, then you use that as your guage for canning.) It's my plan to do so, but I keep hitting speed bumps that don't allow the time for me to do this, so I've been freezing. Canning will be a much better option for me as soon as I can get to it, though. I'll get there! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  07:14:25 AM  Show Profile
Nini - that's great advice!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2012 :  6:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks farmgirls!!

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2012 :  8:26:13 PM  Show Profile
Yes! I can those types of things quite often. Teriyaki chicken, sloppy joes, spaghetti sauce with and without meat, sweet and sour chicke, BBQ Beef, Taco meat, chili, soups, etc. Then there are the end of the season or too much of one type or another vegetables... use those to make soup basics or black bean salsa.

I learned I don't like the way canned soups with noodles turn out, so I now add noodles in the pot. Rice is ok in very small amounts.

I pretty much can anything that sits around the kitchen when I heat up the canner. =) Plus I try to make double and triple batches of things to can as well.... It's WONDERFUL to have meals in a jar. Especially on busy days or when the power goes out!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  05:34:47 AM  Show Profile
I like to can beef stew, soups, turkey that I use for pot pies and such, ham and rump roast for starters. All require pressure canning. I cook the turkey and ham first, before canning and then take it off the bone. The rump roast is just browned and then put into the jars raw with beef broth and then pressure canned. And I use wide-mouth jars to make it easier.

I also dehydrate foods and put mixtures for soups, potatoes au gratin and that kind of thing into jars and then vacuum seal them. For example, for a 10 bean soup, I'll put the dried beans into a jar and then put a ziploc bag with the dehydrated onions, peppers and spices on top of the beans. That is sealed with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer using the jar accessory. Another thing I like to seal is broccoli cheese soup. I put dehydrated broccoli, dehydrated onions, dehydrated potatoes and celery with a few dehydrated green peppers plus a cube of chicken bouillon into the jar and a ziploc bag of powdered cheese on top of that. I seal it and when I am ready to use it, just add water to the veggies and bouillon to boil until tender. Then I add the cheese that I've mixed with a can of milk. simmer that and I've got soup!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2012 :  05:55:30 AM  Show Profile
This has been great info! I have never canned before other than homemade jams.
I would like to try this!

Farmgirl blessings,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot
Go to Top of Page

LNsGirl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Debbie
Hawkins TX
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2012 :  2:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, this sounds like a great idea! I am wanting to get more into canning meats. With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, this will be a great time to start it. I have canned roast, and use wide mouth jars for it. Do you buy your powdered cheese? I have been thinking of buying some and also some dehydrated whole eggs. I also make a lot of mixes and with the dehydrated eggs, it will be great to just add water to whatever I cook.
One other thing that I do is to used the non-dairy creamer in my creamy soups that call for milk. It is just so creamy!

quote:
Originally posted by Okie Farm Girl

I like to can beef stew, soups, turkey that I use for pot pies and such, ham and rump roast for starters. All require pressure canning. I cook the turkey and ham first, before canning and then take it off the bone. The rump roast is just browned and then put into the jars raw with beef broth and then pressure canned. And I use wide-mouth jars to make it easier.

I also dehydrate foods and put mixtures for soups, potatoes au gratin and that kind of thing into jars and then vacuum seal them. For example, for a 10 bean soup, I'll put the dried beans into a jar and then put a ziploc bag with the dehydrated onions, peppers and spices on top of the beans. That is sealed with a Foodsaver vacuum sealer using the jar accessory. Another thing I like to seal is broccoli cheese soup. I put dehydrated broccoli, dehydrated onions, dehydrated potatoes and celery with a few dehydrated green peppers plus a cube of chicken bouillon into the jar and a ziploc bag of powdered cheese on top of that. I seal it and when I am ready to use it, just add water to the veggies and bouillon to boil until tender. Then I add the cheese that I've mixed with a can of milk. simmer that and I've got soup!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19

Living in the wrong century!

LNsGirl
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2012 :  07:08:54 AM  Show Profile
i grew up with parents who canned everything. we gathered most of our food. i learned right off that when using a pressure canner to adjust your pressure to fit your altitude. i forget the difference. even a slight one can be risky. so i call my county extension agent and she tells me the right pressure and time for our elevation. just thinking of farmgirls in the mountains like me.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

hialtfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Terri
WA.
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2012 :  03:17:24 AM  Show Profile
WOW!!!
I am soooo very grateful to all of you that posted,,,I have learned more thatn I thought I would...Your all sooo "Homey"...this is wayyy more than I expected....I am going to put this to work...
got hamb for $3.18 per pound. bought lots...80 percent lean....
AGAIN....."thanks" more than you know....

"LOVING" life at 4000 feet..."LOVE" is a very splendid thing...
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning meals in jars? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page