mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  11:20:14 AM  Show Profile
There were two little sisters killed by Mr. Roberts on Monday at the Amish school and they will be buried together. Another little girl who died was the seventh child of a couple who prayed for a girl. She has six brothers who are older than her. The things the police found in his bucket are too gruesome to even tell you. They will be tearing the school down as soon as the police and FBI are done with their search. Two of the girls in area hospitals have been upgraded to serious. Last night, some of the Amish elders went to the home of Mrs. Roberts and said they have forgiven her husband. They also said they were praying for her and her family. A lot of people carry grudges and hatred towards someone around with them for years. And, then we see true Grace at work. Love, Susan

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  4:13:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update Susan, just too sad to think about, and so like the Amish to forgive and not hate, you can hate the deed, but don't hate the family. Why their are people among us like that we will never know. very very sad.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  4:27:46 PM  Show Profile
True grace - we see it lives on and is not gone from our human race! Is that the gift we should seek in all this heartbreak?

Peace
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  6:37:53 PM  Show Profile
I think so. Someone once told me that we don't forgive others for their sake....we do it for us. Hatred and bitterness is like a cancer. And, if we let it keep growing in us, no matter how big or small the tragedy has been, it consumes us to the point of becoming what we fear the most. What would I rather have my soul contend with...hatred or forgiveness? Does hatred prove anything? Or does the forgiveness that these fine folks exhibit every day make more sense. I vote for forgiveness. It's a lot easier on my heart. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  7:22:18 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you all. It's been very refreshing, for lack of a better word, to see the forgiveness of this community of people and their concern and prayers for the family of this man who committed such a horrible crime against them. I hope that above everything else their message of love and faith in God shines through...what an amazing group of people.
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  9:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I think it is a good thing to tear down the school. Maybe they need to plant a field of flowers there after the building is gone.
Susan, maybe you know...is there funds available to build a new school, or will they rebuild?
I heard there is a place to donate funds for the families. I think the news websites have this info, as this is where I heard it.
Also, is there a place to write cards of condolence? I'd like to do this, but do not know if it is appropriate or wanted.

Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  05:43:07 AM  Show Profile
Pamela, I was wondering the same thing. I know the Amish community are very private but I feel as if I should do something. We can learn so much from them about what is really important. Maybe Susan, if you see this, you will know if there is anything any of us can do since you are so close to the area. Of course there is always prayer which I know is very important to them. Thank you Susan for keeping us posted on this very difficult subject. I'm glad your friends are okay (Sadie). My heart goes out to you all.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:26:21 AM  Show Profile
There is no insurance to cover any of the surgeries or hospital stays for these girls. They have set up a fund with Fulton Bank which I'm pretty sure FultonBank.com is the e-mail address. The Amish communities have requested that the update on the remaining girls in the hospital not be aired to the public. The media is not to know of any of their conditions unless another one passes. As far as cards go, Annie feels that it would not be proper to do this. It would be too overwhelming. As far as the school goes, it has been turned over to the Amish community once again but everything has been boarded up and has yellow caution tape around it. My neighbors feel it will be torn down. There is so much blood and everything that she can't imagine anyone ever going in there again. There is talk of them simply burning it down. We'll have to wait and see. My family and I are going to send a check to help defray some of the expense. I think the remaining girls will be in the hospital for a long time and they are going to need big time financial support. Here is the address of one of the Fulton Banks:

Fulton Bank
1641 S.Market Street
Elizabethtown, Pa. 17022

Last night on the news they said that any Fulton Bank will accept donations made to the Amish Community. But, please specify that it is for the girls care or make it for the Amish Community. I'm sure that any and all amounts will be greatly appreciated.

We never know when we will need help. I am so thankful that you have been praying for these people. Love, Susan
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  5:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Susan, it has been good for us to have your insight.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  6:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan! Thank-you for the information about the bank accounts. I have a great respect for the Amish people and understand their request for privacy. My prayers are with them and your community.

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  8:56:11 PM  Show Profile
After reading your post last night I sat and cried. I have lived through some very rough times in my life (I was raped in '97) and knowing the hatred I carry in my heart for the man who did this to me. I do not know if I could ever forgive someone for taking the life of a child, mine or anyone else's. The anger should not be directed at the wife and children of this insane man.
The Amish have shown me how to forgive in the face of so much pain... I hold them in the highest level of respect. I do not have much money but I will gladly share with them. I pray those girls in the hospital live without the scars of trauma.

Cyn
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  9:09:29 PM  Show Profile
god bless the amish and their hearts which are truly one with God ... i must say that i do NOT have forgiveness for humans who commit such atrocities to innocents and may god deal with their souls accordingly. i know i am treading on personal beliefs here ... but want to tell about my beliefs too. if there is a heaven and if there is a hell .. i doubt there is much forgivenss in hell for such evil acts. i personally am sick and tired of people using 'childhood traumas' and 'mental illness' as "reasons" or "excuses" to commit evil acts. what about the 'victims'? what about those precious lives which will never be lived .. what about the profound pain to all who loved them? what if these had been our OWN children?

i rarely comment on things like this in public forums .. but gurlfrenz .. what i said above is what i would have said to any dear friend of mine. i surely do not believe that everyone must believe as i do .. nor do i tell others how they should believe ... but i surely am honest enough to confess how i believe.

terrible things happen to people every day ... i do not harbor hatred nor does it consume me .. it DISGUSTS me .. and all i have left is to pray fervently for some peace for the families and those who love these innocents ... (and that would certainly include the families of the perpetrators .. they did not do the evil deed ... and they certainly have to live with this pain for the rest of their lives too). and in additon to prayer .. i can VOTE for laws to punish severely (including the death penalty) people who take the lives of innocents. AND .. in this case, i can send money to help the these amish families. thank you susan for posting where we can send donations. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
I fully agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile
Susan, thanks for letting us know how we can help. It is so sad & when I listen to Amish people speak of forgivness for all, it really has an impact. Rage, anger, hate & all the other ugly words does no one any good. I just hope & pray I don't ever have to find out like they did. God bless them, they are true loving peole.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Update on the Amish Girls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page