Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is it just me? Next Topic  

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  12:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Or are they really rushing Christmas this year. Saw my first Christmas ad (Target) in mid-October and the closer to Halloween, the more ads I started seeing.

I for one am totally turned off by this blatant pressure the stores bring to try to force you to buy early in the hopes that you will buy more. It's gotten so bad I just don't want to buy any gift from any retailer.

What happened to Thanksgiving? It's completely been over run by commercialized Christmas. And now they are ignoring Halloween.

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  1:19:13 PM  Show Profile
It's not just you. I can't even get ready for one holiday, before they are pushing the next. I
wish the retailers would pay attention to how the customers really feel about this. I will say,
though, I make as many gifts as I possibly can each year, just so I don't have to mingle in the
holiday crunch in stores.

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  1:41:41 PM  Show Profile
My daughter just said they were having their Christmas party tonight at work. Good grief! I don't even want to hear a Christmas song. Or see any Christmas stuff. Nothing! I will not even look at holiday stuff in stores. It is getting bad. But I bet we won't see many Christmas decorations like there was for Halloween. What happened there? I see so many houses and yards with Halloween stuff than Christmas anymore. Something is very wrong with that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  2:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
I like to celebrate the holidays as they come... not skip ahead of other holidays. Goodness! We haven't even had Thanksgiving yet and there are Christmas parties being held? Life goes by too fast as it is why rush it? lol

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  2:50:04 PM  Show Profile
The decorations are already up on our main street in town and I can't believe it. What happened to waiting until Thanksgiving? Makes me want to boycott the whole thing. Can't we just take one at a time and enjoy it for a while before rushing the next one.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated about this. I was in Jo Ann's today and they had all the Christmas stuff out and had Christmas music on. It's all about the dollar anymore. Greed abounds and it makes me sick. Kathy, I'm with you, I don't even want to participate anymore. The only thing I want to do for Christmas is go to church and celebrate Jesus' birth. I don't care for gift giving, I don't care for the holiday meal (way too much pressure for a 20 minute meal). Family get togethers don't really happen anymore and if they do everyone is so stressed out that a fight is bound to occur or someone's feelings will be hurt. It's too stressful, too expensive, and too fake.

Kris, I can't believe your daughter is having a Christmas party tonight! I'm just shaking my head at that one!

Julie, I agree that handmade gifts are the best but I've ran into so many people who look down on them. Lucky for me I have a pretty thick skin so if they think my gift is beneath them, I feel it's their loss. Next year they probably wont receive anything from me.

Julie/ClaireSky, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving too. I think it's probably my favorite holiday. I just wish the retailers would celebrate this holiday too.

Audrey

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  3:24:09 PM  Show Profile
you go into the stores and you see Fall, Halloween,Thanksgiving and Christmas all with in a few feet of each other! I started seeing it here in September!
Just trying to get more of your hard earned money, if they put it out early, people will buy it early then they can just keep restocking ... therefor selling way more!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  4:02:21 PM  Show Profile
I agree with all of you. Kind of takes the enjoyment of the holidays away with all the earliness.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  6:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I know it is really sad by the time Christmas does come around you are so tired of it, the enjoyment is gone! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  6:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Oooo. This is such a touchy subject. I sell handmade items, and our first show is the week before Thanksgiving. I am always reluctant to sell Christmas type items because I do not want to be part of the "gimme". I don't like the rush of one holiday before the previous one, but there are only so many shows that we can do before Christmas, and it's the only way that I have to make money for my own Christmas shopping.

What is the solution? Big stores hurry to get in ahead of us and the public gets angry because we are out there selling Christmas. We have only five weekends and we're done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  6:36:41 PM  Show Profile
Sadly,,,, I can walk into nearly any store and go down one isle hearing ghoshty howls and turn down the next isle and smell pumpkin candles, and see turkey feather decorations only to turn the isle again and be bombarded with twinkleing holiday lights and animated santas & snowmen...
I remember seeing a card once that said,,, "Happy Everything" with all the holiday icons on it...is that what we have become, reduced too?
I would love to get through one holiday at a time, to enjoy them...
I once read,,, if you want to buy winter clothing,,, shop in the middle of summer... and if you want a bathing suit, shop for it in winter...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2012 :  7:22:31 PM  Show Profile
The reason the stores have Christmas out so early is because they have to order it in February and it is getting shipped from July on. I used to own a craft store and we had to have our Christmas orders in by mid Feb. , Easter by October 1st, etc. That way they know how much to order from China and then they are not stuck with alot of stuff that did not sell. I would get my Christmas stuff from July on, and my Easter came before Christmas!!!! I think the stores have to put it out because they do not have the space to store it. So, it really is the wholesalers that are to blame, unfortunately.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  05:47:30 AM  Show Profile
I think Christmas is great and enjoy all the extra time to see everything. For some reason it doesn't make me feel rushed, just happy.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile
I get it in the craft stores as if you are making things you need time before the holidays to get it done but when the regular retail stores start in September it's bit much. Same goes for decorating the streets and stores. Last night one of our neighbors had their Christmas lights on, what's up with that? UGH!!!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  08:26:13 AM  Show Profile
For me, it's been sort of "urging" me to get happy and festive, and that's not a bad thing. I was in a bit of a funk all through October and I'm feeling more "festive" walking into stores and seeing decorations and thinking of gifts. Oddly enough, it has had the effect that I feel like I must be late or that I'm somehow behind. Maybe for procrastinators like me, all this early transition is a good thing!!!

I'm still not putting up a tree or anything (though I did see someone actually looking at live Christmas trees a few days back (????). I put toys in layaway from "Santa" because it's easier for me to pay like that (and I get what I want) and I plan on doing some Christmas shopping at Miss Wilma's antique/Christmas primitive show this weekend so that will also put me in the mood.

I decorate like mad for Halloween and took all that down on Sunday afternoon. For Thanksgiving, I have many "autumn" inspired items that aren't Halloween related (like a Lenox cornucopia that I fill with bittersweet, nuts, etc...) and some lovely spicy candles and I usually just keep every service clutter free (almost bare, like the trees, now), with adornment that is largely white or cream in color.

December 1st, I get out the advent calendar and we're off and running!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2012 :  1:43:17 PM  Show Profile
I agree that those who make their Christmas gifts would need to get their supplies early but surely the store can put the items out without having to put up the tree or play the carols in October. Shoot if they did that they could leave it up all year for those who shop all year long for Christmas. Why not dedicate a section of your store to a Christmas aisle? This way those who want to be constantly bombarded with all things Christmas can indulge whenever they wish but those of us who don't can always avoid that aisle.

I worked with a lady who loved Christmas so much she would decorate her house and have a big family dinner complete with gift exchange not only at Christmas but the whole month of July also. To each her own I guess!

Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is it just me? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page