City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  05:54:31 AM  Show Profile
We're looking to simplify our Christmas. In the past we normally did an adult grab bag in my family. Since money is tight for everyone we decided that we'd just buy for the kids - within limits.

I'd like to incorporate some new traditions this year. For adults as well as the kids.

What happens at your house?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My new blog - http://citychickadventures.blogspot.com/ Come visit me!

Farm Girl #790

http://pinterest.com/debbie_s/

https://twitter.com/EllieFunt

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Most of our giving is homemade. We make jams, jellies, butters and relish during our harvest season. Then for Christmas we bake loaves of bread and make cookies. Put them altogether in a small basket and hand them out to neighbors. We also send a care package to my elderly mother in another state.

We make toys and clothes for the grandchildren. And tickets to events for the adults in our family.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  09:38:32 AM  Show Profile
White elephant $20.00 max on a gift. We usually do a theme, books, crafts, hunting, tools, kitchen /garage. For each person participating put that many numbers in a hat and each person draws a number.#1 goes first they pick a gift and then the fun starts #2 can either pick a new gift or steal #1 gift. When you gift gets stolen that person who's gift was stolen picks another gift. Each gift has a 3 time limit to be stolen then it is frozen and can't be taken again. At the end #1 has the last chance to pick any gift not frozen for his. You can make your own rules but we have some fun with this concept. We have enough kids and adults to do separate games but it can be modified for all to play the same game.

Diana

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  10:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
We stopped exchanging gifts with extended family members many years ago. No one NEEDED anything, didn't have any WANTS and what we gave seemed unappreciated. My hubby and I are crafters and make some fine things, but these things just seemed to be TOTALLY unappreciated. The gifts we got in return were clearly not thought out. Examples? QUEEN sized sheets for our KING sized bed. She said she LOOKED at our bed . . hmmmm. A personal radio that you can only listen to with earbuds for our son who wears hearing aids and has for 30+ years . . hmmmm.
We did make that arrangement by carefully negotiated mutual agreement so noone was offended.
We do gift our adult children and son-in-law but with things we know they need/want. We give homemade/handmade for almost every gift.
The only other thing we do is monetary donations to Samaritans Purse and World Vision in "honor" of someone.
It can certainly be a challenge!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  1:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Diana, we do that game with friends, the day after Christmas. We have a potluck gathering, eat leftover food, play games or work puzzles, do the gift exchange, and get caught up on whatever is going on with everybody else.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Sue Feely
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Sue
Buffalo New York
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Deb for Christmas Eve we do a Christmas steal! It is really fun and it goes kinda like this: Set a dollar amount to spend, say $10.00. Everyone involved is to buy a gift that is suitable for a male or female for the designated amount. Bring your wrapped gift with no tag and place it in a designated spot (we use a laundry basket at the door) when the time time comes place all gifts in the center of table or floor. Have little tickets with numbers on them, 10 people in the group, make tickets that are 1, 2, 3 and so on up to 10. Everybody draws a number, the person that has number is the first to pick from the pile, he/she unwraps the gift then number 2 picks from the pile or may steal someone elses gift! A gift may only be stolen 3 times after that the third steal stays with that person!

I hope you understand these directions, if not let me know! This is really a fun game!
Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2012 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
We do not buy for adults or children other than our own. Many years ago we decided that exchanging a bunch of $10 gifts was silly. So we decided to just not exhange gifts at all and spend the money on our own children. Everyone is happy with that. We spend alot of time together with Grandparents aunts, uncles, cousins. We usually have several larger meals together and everyone pitches in with cooking.

we have made the focus of holidays about spending time with family, not about what kind of presents you are getting. I do make small gifts for my parents and hubby's mother. But they are thrilled with all my crafty stuff.

I also do not allow grandparents to 'overspend' on the kids. It can be something fun, but it has to be within a reasonable $ amount.

It has worked well. When Hubby and I got toether he was amazed at how stress-free my holidays were. (His ex-wife spent a fortune every year and created alot of drama). He loves simple holidays and doesn't dread them anymore.

Arttie
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2012 :  4:26:53 PM  Show Profile
The only extended family I buy for is my grandma and its usually something useful like a gift card.
We also do a White Elephant exchange, but its more for laughs than anything else. We take things that we dont use or want anymore and wrap them in the gift wrap and bags left over from that morning. The gifts may be useful to the receiver, but thats usually just a coincidence. We also draw numbers and allow "steals" like the other ladies said before. Its free, everyone looks forward to it and has a blast. It can be hilarious to see who gets what. Whatever we dont want, we offer to somebody else or throw it out. For added fun, you can add something really unusual like an ugly knick knack,etc. Then whoever gets that gift puts it back in the exchange next year and it ends up being a running family joke. Alot of fun!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  08:01:47 AM  Show Profile
Last year I suggested we all bring one item that could be donated to the food pantry. They all thought it was a dumb idea.

We don't exchange gifts either. I made homemade/handmade if I can, and only if I can.

In my own family, we open new pajamas on Christmas Eve. I am not prepared for it this year. I typically by the previous season, when they are dirt cheap after the holidays.

This year we donated to food pantry (our own family, not extended), and we donated from hubby's check to a food pantry.

Most traditions are family favorite foods and time together, watching movies that the kids put together from all of our videos.

2011 Farmgirl of the Year
July 2012 Farmgirl of the Month
Farmgirl #800
My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/

Edited by - FieldsofThyme on Nov 04 2012 08:02:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  2:52:49 PM  Show Profile
I don't know much about how to make it easier on the pocketbook other than buy less costly gifts. I only buy for hubby and my kids and their spouses and hubbys parents. My parents are passed away. And 1 special friend who is a widow. But a couple of traditions are we put a box with a slot with a pic of Jesus on it under the tree. The money that goes into it goes to an orphanage in India run by our church. But we also donate to it all year, but extra at Christmas from this box. As far as family gifts I put a monetary limit on how much spent on each person and put it all on a credit card and pay it off through the year. The limit is about 60 dollars each.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2012 :  5:03:17 PM  Show Profile
Spending family time with hubby and our adult children and grandchild on Christmas Eve. Everyone comes over to our house spend time together, eat and open up gifts. There is a monetary limit set. Since I sew and craft and bake that is what is given. If it is clothes I'll sew it up or make jams, breads, etc. It is so much apprieciated then buying something. I have done this for many, many years. I do buy for my grsnddaughter if it is toys. Otherwise clothes and stuffed animals are made. Happy Holidays to everyone!
Laurie

"Smile and be yourself everyday"
Country girl at heart
Laurie

Aprons and More by Laurie is on my FB page
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Christmas Traditions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page