Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Oh No! Here we go again! Update 10/31
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Oh No! Here we go again! Update 10/31 Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  05:27:04 AM  Show Profile
A year ago this past August, we had a hurricane hit our area. It was the first time in twenty years something like that hit since I moved up from TX. It was awful. It was scary - we had big trees down and a tornado touched down in my back woods. Big trees almost hit my house and gas tank (we were so lucky). There was no electricity or water for a week, and schools were closed a week.

Then, a year ago Halloween, we got that freak winter storm. It was even worse. Again, no electric for a week. No water. Phone lines down. Cell service did not work. We had a tree down on the deck and one blocking our garage, so I could not get my car out. Two more trees blocked our driveway. I lost my beloved pear tree I planted when I moved into the house. It was horrible, as it was cold and no heat. Our generator blew up. And both DH and DD ended up with pneumonia. It was a disappointment to the kids because Halloween was banned. It hit our local economy hard, as well.

Now, here we go again. There is a hurricane brewing and it looks like no matter what, something is going to hit us. My dd is worried she'll have no Halloween again. (Least of our problems, but Halloween the weather is usually nice and it is a fun and happy time here). They are expecting ten inches of rain or more, high winds, no electric...I just don't even want to think about it.

I am really praying and keeping my fingers crossed that it will turn or just be a day of rain. Ugh!!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

Edited by - texdane on Oct 31 2012 3:41:42 PM

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Nicole! I know! I am so sorry you all were hit so badly last time, I can only imagine how upsetting the news of the oncoming storm must be. It was just a horrible experience everyone along the coast. So many of our friends and family are up there and experienced what you did last year. Most have already started to brace them selves with preparations and to batton down the hatches! I was just watching the news this morning and am just so shocked at the scope of the storm. We are pretty far inland and STILL we're supposed to get hit... My Mom and Stepdad are much closer to the coast in Maryland, so I think I'm going to call today to see if they would like to come stay with us for a few days. I really hope they'll come, or at least go visit my brother until the storm is over! My dad, on the other hand, lives a block away from the ocean on Cape Cod. I am very concerned for him and my stepmother, as both of them have serious health issues and incapable of preparing for this by themselves. My dad, especially, isn't well enough to travel at all, otherwise I'd be trying to get them to come here. I pray they will be able to travel well enough to stay with her family for the duration.

I feel so bad for your daughter, too! When I was a kid, I just loved Halloween. You know, even if they ban Trick-or-Treating, maybe when things settle after the storm you all could still have a little Halloween party for the kids either at home or at school. They could bob for apples, have a "corning" (which means having the kids race to remove the kernels by banging them on ground - the first one done, wins!), have a little costume parade around the outside of the house or school, and there are a whole host of other fun things you can do sans electricity that will still allow them to have some fun. It would be such a shame for the kids to miss out on something fun like that, especially after the trauma of such a nasty storm. I've got ideas if you need any; but I do realize that getting through the next week is first order of importance.

Hang in there - we'll all be crossing our fingers and praying! Let's hope for better than expected!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  08:16:24 AM  Show Profile
I am praying the hurricane moves away from the east coast. Keep us posted. Prayers to all of you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  2:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Okay... Now I am SO confused! Regarding superstorm Sandy, they were just reporting on the news about the statewide emergency plan for PA... Then they were discussing the main concerns being flooding and snow on the power lines... I'm not sure, but I think they were saying we'll be getting major wet snow with this? Eghads. I'm so glad I've been stocking up on water and batteries and preparing for winter. They said we could be without power for days. I feel so bad for all of you along the coastline! My mother told my son that they are staying put. She said she's an old New Englander and can handle whatever comes her way. I just pray she's right. This is very frightening to me. I hate living so far apart from my family in times like this. PLEASE be careful, everyone!!!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  2:32:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh no! Be safe sweetie! I'm scared to death of tornadoes and big storms. I am biting my nails here worrying about all of you on the east coast. Praying that everyone will be ok and that there will be minimal damage to things. I'm hoping it's just a lot of rain *hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  05:00:09 AM  Show Profile
I am also in the path of the this major storm. According to the weather
reports of the track of the storm, it appears to be going right thru our living room.
We are a direct hit. Storms always worry me but I also need to travel 2 hours tomorrow
to my parents home where I have 2 cardiologist appts in the area. I will need
to have a cardiac ablation done soon and this is part of the pre-procedure tests
that are needed. So I was already nervous. I am trying to be calm since stress makes my heart worse and I aften end up in the ER. Saying my
prayers here. Stay safe to all my farmgirl sisters in the storm path.
~blessings~
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, Jenne... I'll be praying for you! I hope everything goes all right, that the storm doesn't interfere with your procedure, and that the Lord give you peace when you face ANY storm. God bless you! Big hugs - Nnii

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7588 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7588 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  12:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh for Nicole, Nini, Jenne, and Marly,
My prayers are going up for all of you to keep safe in the storms and pray that it will be calm for you while you are going for your heart procedures Jenne, and that all goes well with the procedures too.
Nini I have never heard of a corning, that sounds like lots of fun and a good way to get your aggression out as well. Fun...a Halloween party would be a good stress reliever.
God Bless everyone
love
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  1:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls. We are hunkered down. I'll log in when I can. To all my farmgirl sisters facing Sandy please be safe, my prayers are with you all.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  2:53:43 PM  Show Profile
HUGS! Take care girls!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  4:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hunkering, preparing, taking all the steps to be safe . . . PRAYING! What else can you do!
I will be PRAYING!
Just stay safe and keep your family close!
Let us know what you can when you can!
PRAYING!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2012 :  6:46:18 PM  Show Profile
God be with you and protect you, Nicole! The same to all you other farmgirls in harm's way.

The parents in our school district received calls today announcing that schools will be closed beginning Tuesday and for the rest of the week. They told parents they just don't know what to expect, that they are anticipating a few days without electricity and in light of the state of emergency, they feel having the kids stay home is the safest decision.

We're hunkered down and ready. My hubby still has to go to work, though, which is making me very uneasy. And I'm supposed to have another round of eye injections on Tuesday, for which I am already a week late due to having the flu last week. I don't mean to whine, truly. I'd rather be safe than sorry. But if you all would please pray for my eyesignt, I'd really appreciate it. My left eye is dimming, sort of like having a shade slowly pull down about 2/3 of the way over a window. I can deal without my vision, though. I just want everyone to be safe.

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  03:04:35 AM  Show Profile
We're hunkering down here too - schools are closed, we've got the generator and sump pumps ready - flashlights and lanterns are ready and waiting. I'm an old New England gal too Nini - I understand your Mom. We've lived thru some real nasty storms up there too!

Keep safe everyone and report in when you can.

Hugs to you all,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  03:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Nini and everyone else sending good thoughts and wishes. I woke up to lotsa rain this morning. They are saying the heavy rains and wind will begin tonight.
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  09:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Thinking about all of you. Be safe. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  09:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Watching and waiting and hoping that all will be safe. Hugs to all farmgirls in the storm area.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  11:02:22 AM  Show Profile
At least you all know a little of what to expect and are prepared for it. Try not to worry too much, it'll just drag you down. If you have all you need, you will get through this. As long as you are all together and safe, you will be ok. I will be praying for your safety and security. I hope it won't be as bad as some think.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Homestead Dreams
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Carrie
Stephens City VA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2012 :  12:33:56 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for your safety ladies <3 Here in my part of Virginia we are just gearing up for the worst of it to come this evening...

Farmgirl #3028

http://www.spiritualhomesteading.blogspot.com/

St. Catherine's Apprentice
http://www.carriegoadportraits.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  03:14:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my... It sure doesn't look as though our sisters on the coast had a good time of it. I'm still praying and looking forward to hearing you all check in! I hope all of you are okay!

We only lost phone and online services for a few hours yesterday. Friends in the next town over lost power or a few hours yesterday, too, and her husband saw snow coming down late last night on his way home from work, but we didn't see snow - yet, anyway. That is supposed to possibly be headed our way tomorrow. They just really don't know what to expect becaus this is such a unique combination of weather systems. We did have a lot of debris hitting the house at times last night. At one point it sounded like furniture pummeled against the second story of the back of the house, but my husband ran out and was unable to see anything. Guess all will be revealed in the morning light. The news is reporting that there are power outages in our region, flooding, a mudslide/landslide, and a lot of downed trees and debris on the roads. Thankfully, we're okay and although more inclement weather is expected today, we haven't experienced anything nearly as bad as those in the coastal regions.

I cannot get through to my Dad on the Cape, nor can I reach my Mom in Maryland. I guess we'll just have to wait for the time being. I'm really, really concerned about my Dad because of his proximity to the water. If anyone lives on Cape or off Cape (Cape Cod, that is), I sure would appreciate hearing some news.

My son's friends are all in trouble, God love them, because they made the whole thing up about the schools calling. It's a long story, but I'm happy to report that despite a couple of hours delay this morning, they're all going to be in school and then grounded for the duration for their attempt at deceiving their parents. I guess they were hoping somehow they'd get the week off to play video games. My son is loving it because he thought he'd be the only one having to do school this week... now they will, too! BOYS!!! What on earth were they thinking?! The second parents started calling each other, they were busted! How dumb they must think we are! It's going to be awfully quiet around here for the next week or so! LOL!

Hugs and prayers -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 30 2012 03:26:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm back! Girls, it was the scariest thing I have ever been through. We are blessed! I had three, towering huge trees come down within INCHES of my home. I'll post pics when I can. It's unbelievable how close we came. If two of them had hit just a few inches over to the left, we would have lost a lot...two cars, all the dining room furniture, and possibly our lives as we were camped out on that side of the basement, next to the garage. We had a mattress down there from upstairs, and the whole thing jumped up off the floor. Another one is less than inches from the shed, pool and play set. I've been through hurricanes and storms, and some really big hurricanes in Houston, but the wind on this was like nothing I've ever heard.

We are okay...warm and fine. We've got a generator, so we have creature comforts and I was very prepared.

Sadly, there is so much damage and loss of life, especially in New York and New Jersey. My husband works with a lady whose children lost two friends who lives were lost to a tree that fell on their room. They were ten and twelve. Stuff can be replaced. Lives can't. Hug your kids and loved ones. Life can turn on a dime, for sure.

Nini...have you heard from your father???

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  5:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh ladies, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and to the many, many who have been through this terrible disaster.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, Annika, Nini: I was so happy to read your postings. Happy to hear y'all are okay. Nicole, I'm so sorry for the loss of the friends. Keep us posted.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  03:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Nicole - I'm so glad you and your family are okay, and that your home received God's hedge of protection during the storm! I am sure the clean-up will be no picnic, but I'm also sure it's such a relief to you that your home is in tact and that your family is safe. I am SO, so saddened to hear about your husband's coworker's children's friends. How absolutely heartbreaking. There are just no words. I will be saying prayers for them and for all who were affected by Sandy. Our best man is an attorney in NYC and lives in Brooklyn. We haven't heard from him, yet, but we are hopeful. We have yet to hear from my Dad, either, which is very disconcerting; but we also know that bad news travels fast. As he would tell us, "No news is good news." I would add to that, "Until you hear otherwise, keep a cheerful heart." We're also waiting to hear from our other friends and family up in Massachusetts and RI, but as of yesterday I know that a lot of people were still without power or communications, so we'll just have to wait it out. I have been watching the news and searching online for pictures and newspaper articles... It's just absolutely shocking to see all the devastation. The loss must be simply overwhelming. And what has happened to the coastline... Oh my gosh, inconceivable! I think that's what worries me most for my father and stepmother, because they really are terribly close to the water. Their home was severely damaged by flooding years ago (was it during Hugo, maybe?), but back then, they were both younger and much more healthy. When we talked just before the storm, not only is she suffering from her usual seriously limiting physical ailments, but my stepmother was also suffering with the flu, and my Dad is on oxygen 24/7 and has a seriously compromised heart. My Dad said they were ready and insisted on staying put, but after seeing all the reports, I'm not sure ANYONE remaining in their homes along the coast could possibly be ready for what ensued. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm sure he will call as soon as possible, and we'll keep trying on our end as well. :) I have to say, though, I am just SO relieved to hear from you, and that you're all right! I was really concerned! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 01 2012 03:04:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  1:38:40 PM  Show Profile
Good news! Dad and his wife are okay. They were at a friend's during the storm. My dad needed to be somewhere where he would be able to keep his oxygen tank running, so they went to stay over at his buddy's place because he lives on the hospital grid. Theír house did endure some flooding, but he said it was nothing major. He said what really caused them problems was wind sheer after the storm passed. It actually hit up the street, but it caused damaged to most of the homes in the neighborhood, including theirs. I didn't ask, but I'm figuring the damage was probably the result of debris flying(?). The wind sheer also was apparently the cause of their power outages, etc., as it left trees and power lines down in its wake. They're up and running now, though. Thankfully, my stepsister went over to check on them yesterday morning, and was kind enough to bring them some hot coffee and some supplies. Dad said hot coffee just tasted so good, that you always forget how important the little conveniences like that are until the power goes out. :) He sounds good... happy... I'm just very relieved! Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2012 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile
haven't really been on much - am praying all of you along the east coast etc are ok..

i'm in northern ohio- a few blocks south of Lake Erie and about midway between Cleveland and Toledo and we have had horrid rain and wind and lots and lots of tree damage- churches and schools losing parts of roofs etc... some of our local schools are still without water and/or electricity.

hoping that you all get to check in soon!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  7:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Nini, so glad you heard from your dad! One of my friend's hasn't heard from her parents in New Jersey yet. We got our electric back yesterday night, thank goodness. I am appalled at how people are acting. CL&P workers are getting eggs and rocks thrown at them. It's irritating and hard to be without power, but the line workers are doing their best, and I am surprised we got power in only four days. This has been a hard storm to weather, indeed.

BTW, Nini, your email you sent me a few days ago meant so much to me.

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Oh No! Here we go again! Update 10/31 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page