Page: of 2

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  09:38:30 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Hello everyone

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on a simple/frugal Christmas and what you may being doing to achieve that. I have started shopping for my kids already..picked up an unopened, new board game at a yard sale for $1 and I picked up some nice baskets to give away as gifts to other families (full of homemade candy and goodies).

Sarah

MamaHumbird
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Holly
Cleveland Missouri
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:24:15 AM  Show Profile
I think this is a very good subject. I have 4 kids 11,10,4 & 3. I also have 2 step kids, 21 & 18, that have been raised very differently than mine. I have cut back every year to the point of just getting each of them 1 thing and then santa brings them something. I am to the point this year that I would like to not get them any and just let Santa and Grandparents (they have lots of those) give the gifts. My step kids don't understand that as well, I am sure part of it is their age along with their upbringing. But my kids don't seem to have a problem with it at all. From the time they were tiny I have always taught them it is better to give than to receive. In fact they usually take their own money & buy each other something before they would buy something for themselves. It has been so tight this year, however no one has got an allowance for their chores. Don't get me wrong, my kids love getting gifts and are very excited about opening presents, but they get so much from other family members that it isn't really necessary for me to buy for them. We do make a big deal out of decorating for the holidays. Over the years I have collected many decorations and ornaments. The kids love looking at all the ornaments they have made in previous years. We read a book every Christmas about the birth of Jesus. As far as the rest of the family goes I too am going to get baskets and fill with canned jellies, jams and baked goods. We own our own business and I even give our builders pies, cookies and candies. They love that more than anything I could buy. I think it is good to teach kids the true meaning of Christmas and that the most important thing is spending time with our family. My older ones know what a rough year we have had financially and I think getting less makes them appreciate what they do get alot more.

Holly
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:33:52 AM  Show Profile
I think my own kids honestly appreciate the traditions and the decorating every bit as much as the gifts. I plan to cut back this year. We do have alot of relatives who send them gifts and last year was a bit much!! This may be the last year we get by with still doing Santa...who knows..the scoffers are keeping their mouths shut so it may go on still awhile. I hate for it to end. I always make new matching pajamas for them to open on Christmas eve and Santa brings more than we do..that will have to shift next year I think. We get a new ornament for each child each year too..for their collection when they grow up. Even that is expensive. Some years we make them, and on good years they are hallmark keepsake ones. I think this year is a homemade year. I am thinking of a cute small tree for the family room this year for all the silly kid ornaments they make and to make the family room as festive as the living room. My kids are of the "you can't over decorate" schoool of thinking and I will miss that when they are grown (not) so why not give them a room to go crazy in? I do nice country fall decorating in the living room and front porch and kitchen and let them go crazy with the halloween stuff in the family room...their "kid zone". It is sure fun!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:49:37 PM  Show Profile
i too, have always enjoyed the 'decorating' and making teaching our daughters and grandchildren to create 'hand-dids' for every season of the year. and like jenny, since the year our children were born, i have always gifted them a beautiful christmas EVE nightgown or cute jammies. i have extended this to all our grandchildren too. they love this tradition and love waking up christmas morning for pictures in their new sleepwear.

at this stage in our life .. i honestly don't think 'frugal' ... SENSIBLE yes! .. but not necessarily frugal.

i have always started my NEXT year's christmas shopping on the PREVIOUS December 26th! actually, since i LOVE to shoppe .. and CREATE .. this is somthing that i do all year long ... for gifts all year long. have to admit .. some of the gifts get used (and yes, sometimes by ME) before the following christmas .. but that is o.k. .. gives me a reason to go SHOPPING again .. and to get to CREATING again!

now that the 'children' my age (siblings and cousins) are grown and many of their own children are grown .. we all pretty much limit our giving to our immediate families now .. and i have decided that the sky is the limit for our children and grandchildren. i probably spend more now than i have in previous years when there were so many to give gifts to each christmas. of course, at our age we have more money now than we did years ago too .. so that makes it easier. i do not like 'senseless' spending though! at christmastime, i pretty much leave the 'plastic toy' gifts to other family members in our sons-in-law families .. and we gift one 'biggie' .. and money towards their college educations at christmastime. NOW .. during the rest of the year .. it is a different story ... i love giving 'holiday' and 'seasonal' gifts. and things that will lighten the financial burden on our children (last visit here, i re-did the 'children's bathroom' in a POND 'decor' with new shower curtain, towels, washcloths, rug and accessories). This visit, i bought grandson Lucas a cute new bedroom set.
At Christmas time .. we find something the kids have on their 'wish' list and get that for them. (i think this Christmas it will be having their bathroom remodeled).

Oh .. i have started 'collections' for both our girls and grandchildren .. my favorite being .. small antique angels for a small antique tree that i bought for our first granddaughter when she was born. i added ornaments every year until she was 18 (it is wonderfully stuffed full now!). Will have to do the same for Sofia Catherine!

It has been Teddy Bears for Lucas ... and started out teddy bears for james (who is now 12 and prefers video games!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  2:06:08 PM  Show Profile
our family has for years been making things. We buy for our daughter but always make things for her & she for us. Our extended families love it. I send homemade cranberry & Christmas breads in baskets w/ all kinds of other things homemade like the bread cloths. We weave them & stich them. Add home made candy and Teas that I mix. I love it. It is alot of work but so much fun. Home made Christmas is the best christmas for us.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  2:52:58 PM  Show Profile
I love handmade Christmas. Our family (my brothers/sisters, nieces/nephews) have cut back to one grab-bag gift for each person -- limit $5. I find that less than satisfying, for not only can you not get much for $5, it is also impersonal, because any of the other 'male' or 'female' relatives can grab it. Years back, we exchanged family names and gave a group gift -- for instance, if I had my brother's family, I'd be buying stuff that he, spouse, and two girls could share. That often became a gift basket -- movie theme (Blockbuster certs, popcorn, munchies, bowls, etc.), for example. THAT I loved, because I can futz around with finding all the 'ingredients' and making it special and fun.

My husband's side does even less -- we exchange gifts only with his folks, and they pass out money to each of us. It all seems so impersonal.

In our little family, my husband and I exchange modest items and we purchase one biggie for our 21 year old. I also do a stocking for each of them. (And cans of catfood and catnip toys for the furry members of the family.) That's cool.

This thread really has me thinking: I think I may begin my own tradition this year of making breads, scones, teas, etc., and gifting them to whomever I please!

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  6:31:18 PM  Show Profile
After learning to make dolls this summer, and then logically following into stuffed animals and these little Japanese toy craft things, I've been thinking more and more about what I'd like my daughters (7,2) to have for Christmas. I'd really like them to receive presents that spark and use their imagination(ie, nothing with batteries that does everything for/without them), though I'm sure some of the other stuff will wander in.

I'm probably making them dolls and clothes of some sort or another. Also, clothes for the dolls they have (too expensive to buy). My oldest has really paid attention to the antique miniatures I've been buying on ebay, so maybe I can find one cheap (mine have all cost less than $10). Art supplies are good ideas too.

Husband and I get each other gifts, but it's likely that they are for the house (except for maybe one or two).

Last year his father's family and us decided not to give presents except to the girls (our daughters are the only grandchildren) and instead used the money to rent a cabin in Pigeon Forge, TN for the spring. That was fun.

Also, I love to make things- so breads, sauces, cookies, foodstuffs- I'll probably make all of that. I hate to waste the time on my dad and his wife's family though, because they don't appreciate it. Raspberries on them!

Oh- and I've been collecting transfer patterns to make embroideries for my mom, sister and her fiance as well.

I hope lots of good ideas come out here. I'd love to have my presents mean something other than "I can go to the mall and pick out a shirt."

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  7:02:54 PM  Show Profile
for a hand-full of years, each year, i would do 'theme' gifts for each family member ... some of the themes over the years were:

VINTAGE BOOKS ... of interest to the receiver
NEW BOOKS ... of interest to the receiver
GLOVES
HAND-CRAFTED CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT
CHRISTMAS WREATHS FOR EACH FAMILY'S FRONT DOOR
HAND-MADE DOLLS (FOR ALL FEMALE FAMILY MEMBERS)
NOSTALGIC TOYS FOR GIRLS AND FOR BOYS
HAND-WOVEN SCARFS
VINTAGE APRONS FOR THE WOMEN
STAINED GLASS WINDOW ORNAMENTS
CHIRSTMAS ANGELS ... AND CHRISTMAS STARS
these are the ones i remember
others 'family theme' gifts might be:
embroidered dish towels
hand-made aprons
home-made pot pourii
vintage pillow cases
make-up and grooming kits
personalized home-made 'travel' tags for suitcases
tea cups and coffee mugs
home-made food gifts (limited only by your imagination)
framed familly photographs
personalized calendars

what do you gurlz have to add to this list?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  06:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Everyone has such great ideas, I love reading them all. I also give my kids (ages 11, 9, 5 and 2) an ornament each year. I used to always buy the Hallmark ones but things have been tight for so long that now I enjoy making them some kind of special ornament each year personlized with their name or photo. I tend to get the kids one thing that they really want and then a couple of other things. This year I'm going to make them all new pj's. A while back I let them pick out new comforters at walmart and we put them on layaway. The time came to get ready for school so that took priority and we canceled the bedding. So I'm going to make them each a quilt for Christmas as my 5 yr. old is still asking when is he going to get his new blanket from the store. lol This will also give me something to occupy my time at work at night so I'm not bored stiff.

I look forward to reading more of everyone's great ideas.

sarah
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  07:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I posted this under another topic and thought it would go well here too. If anyone would like to send a care package (Christmas or not) to any of the troops in the middle east you can go to www.anysolider.com to find a name to send it to. That person then passes everything out to those under their direct command. They greatly appreicate getting things from home and most times the people will list the things that they would like or need.

Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  08:08:44 AM  Show Profile
Our family does cheese balls with crackers (usually a strip of ritz crackers..they are easy to pack because of the way they are packaged) to take around to neighbors and friends every year. I did it two years in a row and then planned to do a different homemade treat the next year and my son who is 10 now and was 7 at the time wrote a Christmas story about his family tradtitions (that his teacher showed me thank goodness!!) telling how his favorite tradition was that our family made the most wonderful cheeseballs in the world to take around to all the nieghbors and he knows we will do it every year forever. Okay..so cheeseballs it is..after that I really couldn't do something different, could I???? We package them cute and then on Christmas eve the kids and I walk to the closest neighbors and drive to the rest and deliver them...the kids love running to the doors and yelling Merry Christmas and the whole fun of the delivery. One of my husband's friends loves them so much we take him two now. (or the rest of his family dosn't get any..heehhee)
It is a real big thing around here to do neighbor gifts..and real fun.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  09:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
we have pretty much always made hand made gifts ( we started at our wedding I made him ( husband) an amish style quilt and he made me a hugh flower press.
Some of the past christmas themed gifts

temari balls
hand blown glass ornament covered in size 30 thread crochet
hand made dolls with blankets,
scarfs
22 hand made wood tool boxes one for each neice nephew and our own kids plus mother inlaw and selfs ( that took a while)
candy airplanes and candy dolls
crochet blankets
hand knitted hats
pressed flowers in glass coasters
handmade bookmarks
hand cast wax scented wax ornaments
hand made soap
hand made cany
hand crocheted dresses
hand made bracelets
the list goes on and on bu tI will stop here
this year I think I am making aprons haven really started yet other than figureing out patterns and fabric not cutting or sewin yet.

I normally spend between 200- 300 dolarrs and make enough gifts for about 100- 150 people not a bad break down on price.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 04 2006 11:51:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile
I usually give homemade gifts usually a basket from our farm and may add something I bought at the farmers market from another vendor to our families .
The kids get a small gift from us and of course Santa brings stuff too. We try not to over do.
My family usually spends way too much on us but me and my husband have stuck to what we want to do give handmade gifts and not spend alot of money.
the baskets have homemade garlic powder , homemade seasonings, Garlic braids and dried herbs , homemade jellies , salsa, cookies , etc.
My uncle FIL and BIL all are diabetic so I try to make them goodies that they can eat. I may buy or barter things like homemade soap, handmade jewery etc , honey, sorgum ,fresh roasted local peanuts, local pecans,local cider, local stone ground grains or eggnog from my friends at the farmers market where we sell.
The family loves this because I pick the things I know each family especially likes and they are things they can use. If i bought baskets filled with these things I would spend alot of money but I get the baskets at an outlet and make or barter most of what is in them.

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  11:34:49 AM  Show Profile
For the past three years, since we moved to Pa., I have been making my Christmas cards for all my friends in Jersey and then I slip a tea bag inside! This year I think I'm going to make little wooden(flat) ornaments I am painting to put inside the cards. I am making aprons, scarves, hats, breads, and other homey things for my children and friends. We are not into material "things" too much. We put a tree on each of our two porches as well as one in the living room. I made wreaths of pine (garlands of the fake pine) and have decorated seven of them to hang on the front windows of our home as well as an electric candle in each window. We pick one day after Thanksgiving and make and bake cookies until we can't see straight and then we freeze them. I just love having my large, noisy family around the dining room and kitchen tables eating all together. Susan
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
My husband as OUTLAWED big Christmas at our house. Since we never went over the top in the first place (not even Santa), nobody really minds. The handmade gifts for the kids are not as glitzy as the ones they recieve at our big family gathering, but they are still around and being used long after those others have hit the trash. Last year, I made the kids a huge tipi (spent an afternoon and less than $10 on it) and they are still loving it. This year, I am knitting them all sweaters (yarn from my stash). I know it sounds like an odd gift for such young children (ages 3-8), but they love showing off the things Mama makes them. Also, there just isn't much else I want them to have. Toys are generaly useless and my parents stock them up on book, puzzles, and games. Hubby and I don't always give each other gifts. Just a little something to keep the kids happy. We always seem to have extra money in the spring and do our buying then (Martin wants a bigger chainsaw and I want a serger-I'm told it will cut my production time by almost half). For the rest of our family, we are making goodie baskets with spicy pecans, cookies, maple nut candies, and a few homemade orniments. Oh, and a framed photo of the kids for the grandparents and great grandparents. The baskets or tins will come from our local thrift shop that sells them for .25-$1.00 each.

Quick Easy Idea! For my bff/sil's birthday I took an old wool sweater (Mama actualy got it from a free pile somewhere), fleted it in the washer and turned it into a "designer" handbag. I cut it cross wise just under the armpits and set the upper portion aside. I stitched up the part I had just cut and turned the bottom ribbing down for the top edge. Using the one of the wrist ribbings, I cut a small square (2 x 3 inches maybe) and stitched it to the front as a cell phone pocket. The handle I cut from the lenth of the sleeve. It turned out adorable and cost me nothing.

Happy Christmas Planning! Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Photobugs
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Pamela
Post Falls Idaho
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  10:27:50 PM  Show Profile
We decided to do somethng different last year. We agreed to do second hand gifts...some we got at a thrift shop, yeard sale, or antique shop. My family knows I like the old things the best, so I loved this. What was really neat was that my mom and sister gave my kids (who are all grown) things from the family, such as my mom gave one of my sons a knife that had been her fathers. My sister gave one of my daughters a collection of patches she had from high school. This daughter is kinda bohemian (hippie)so this was a good one for her. My sister never married or had any of her own children to pass things down to, so she will give to my kids. Mom gave me some of my grandmother's sewing supplies and some other odds and ends of stuff.
Seems like a good idea for the older generations to pass things down to the ones they want to have their things. So why not use Christmas to do this? It saves the giver money, and it gives the givee a very unique and usually a much desired gift.
This is a little harder to do with children, but can be done. In this world of techno this and that...the kids usually know what's hot and they want it. So how about a combination of both?
Just my two cents worth?
Pamela

"I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!"
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  04:01:04 AM  Show Profile
I so enjoy reading everyone's ideas from Christmas's past and for the next one.

I find it difficult at times to remain true to my intent to make most of my gifts for giving. We usually make ornaments each year. We make at least three for us (one for each of the kids and one for the family) to hang on our tree. I tag each ornament with the name of the giver and year on the hanging loop. Some day each of the kids will have ornaments for their own tree.

I specifically ask the grandparents to make or purchase ornaments for each of the kids. I figure this way they will have permanent reminders of them and Christmas. My mom is very good about this. It's fun to see how she buys an ornament to suit their interests each year.

In the past few years I have also bought an ornament for each child related to their interests, but never more than a few dollars.

I try and make each child something special. Some years it is pj's. some years a quilt, some years a pillow or pillowcase. I made hubby a macrame band for his hat one year as well. He also wants cashew brittle.

I buy one or two things for each child. I like to do their stockings best of all. I like to buy small craft items like beads, new macrame twine, cool markers or pens, small journals, a treat, maybe jewelry, their new bought ornament, small toy for son like a small lego kit, and then the little bit of spending money they adore.

We give to many neighbors and friends. I make lots of cookies, especially biscotti. Then, I add tea or coffee, Steve's honey from his bees, and a homemade or inexpenisve ornament. I end up buying very cheap handled paper bags, using white or colored tissue paper and tying the ornament on the handle with a bow. I like to have them under our tree until delivery time. It looks so festive. Some years I make bread or scones, one year I made cakes in a jar (they bake in the wide mouth pint jars and seal when you cover them as they come out). Some years we do mixes. My hot cocoa mix is always popular.

We no longer trade with all the relatives as I have 22 nieces and nephews on my side alone. (I am one of 14 children, 13 of us left.) Some years we pick out of a hat for my husband's side. My favorite year was the one where we had to MAKE the gift. I made flannel pj pants for my FIL and BIL that we had picked and flannel pants for my nephew. My in laws made each of us three families a set of adirondeck chairs.

I try and do something for my two SIL and MIL that live by me as it seems the women create the holiday magic. One year it was Gooseberry Patch Christmas books and Christmas lights for the front porch. I gave them in early Dec. One year it was GBP cookbooks with a pie plate. This year will be aprons (I am making them) and a small kitchen tool and mixes.

I love to make theings best of all and run out of time, usually. :-) So, then I like to have things on hand from last year's post Christmas sales (ornaments, maybe kitchen towels, gift wrapping and cards).

I come from a large family so years ago I asked each one to just send a card with a family photo in it. We date them and put them in photo albums.

We like to decorate and bake for the holidays. My favorite times are the typcial tradtions-going to pick out and cut our tree, bringing it home and decorating it, putting up the front porch lights, listening to Christmas music as we bake, making a gingerbread house together (one year we made six and gave two away with deocrations and frostings to the in law families and one decorated to my MIL and FIL), sewing last minute for family (Pillowcases for nieces and nephews one year, pj's another year, coupons to the movie theater last year in small homemade stockings).

I enjoy Christmas and like to make it non-commercial as possible. My daughter does not even make a list as she does not really want anything that badly. Even my son has a hard time and usually just wants something he has been asking about for a year (this year it is a megaphone so I orderd a real one on line for him.) My daughter says she wants and IPOD so we may splurge and get her one. I am checking the flyers in the newspapers each week to keep an eye on pricing.

My husband and I usually exchange something. Some years it is small, other years lavish, some years nothing. It just depends on mood and money.

Some years we spend next to nothing in money, but lots in time. One year it was Apple Pie in a Jar with a crumb topping in a bag o nthe side for each person we knew, including family. Some years we have maple syrup from sugaring ourselves, lately we have honey as my husband is into bees, always there is jelly or jam. That is most appreciated as I usually use the wild berries.

I like the idea of having a second hand Christmas and am going to suggest it for Steve's side this year. We are big spenders for clothes in Salvation Army. I like to find nice dishes there as well to put the baked goods on at times. My MIL gave me a vintage teapot and sugar and creamer set one year that I really treasure.

Thanks for all the themed ideas. I have noted them for future years when I can look around all year for those themes. Last year was movie year as i gave each niece and nephew coupons for the movies and popcorn while there.

Merry Christmas already. I too have started tracing and cutting patterns for aprons and am ready to cut and sew fabric today. Happy Crafting, ladies.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2006 :  10:04:27 PM  Show Profile
I have loved reading each and every one of your Christmas and holiday ideas. I am looking forward to a very simple Christmas this year. My little guys will each get one gift and a stocking from Santa - they're so young that one is really enough - and I'm trying to decide which of your wonderful ideas I'm going to use for friends and relatives --- Thank you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  10:09:25 PM  Show Profile
You FarmGirls have some great ideas! We are doing a handmade holiday this year..not really because of not having money, we are blessed this year...but because I am sick and tired of seeing what an over-commercialized mess Christmas has become!

We went to Sears on Thursday to have our car worked on and walked around the store while we waited...It was the first week of October..we were looking at the Halloween/harvest/autumn decor and I was so surprised to see Christmas stuff everywhere!!

I want our holiday to be more about family, traditions, love and Christ...not toys, and junk! Last year we spent a bunch of money on toys that our kids never really played with!!

I am going to make alot of it myself, or trade with friend/farmgirls...or pay them with money...but I want alot of our stuff to be handmade.

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  06:48:08 AM  Show Profile
My large extended family has always preferred handmade presents, even if they are not the makers: a few times a year the "girls" get together and go to craft shows. The outings are more fun than the actual shopping.

I always make presents; this year it's tote bags. My grandmother passed on 12/26 last year & I inherited a lot of her quilting fabric. Christmas will be difficult this year as you can imagine, but I think everyone will like to have a tote knowing that it was made from Grandma's quilts-that-never-were.

I don't have children of my own but lots of young cousins, nieces/nephews, and friends with kids. Throughout the year I peruse the clearance shelves at the bookstores and pick up children's books . I sew doll clothes and sew/knit dress-up play items. This year, all the kids are getting "Make Believe Crowns" (the free knitting pattern is at www.interweave.com) for playtime. I've knit 5 crowns from one ball of yarn already.

My favorite tradition is that my hubby & I also "adopt" a child from the Angel Tree and purchase the necessities, plus 1 or 2 toys. This is the only time of year I will set foot in a mall. We get an older child because they always seem to be the last picked. Neither of us needs anything, so we put out effort & money into the Angel, and make a day of it.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  08:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Jennifer, I saw that pattern on the website...is it difficult? I'm a fairly new knitter. Looked very cute!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile
The crowns consist of a simple garter stitch done on dpns in the round. It would be a good 1st project on dpns. Try it!
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  12:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I got fed up a few years ago with all the "must do's" of the holiday season. I read two fantastic books from the library "unplug the Christmas machine" by Jo Robinson and Celebrate Simply by Nancy Twigg. The first thing I did was take a good look at all of the family and friends on my holiday list. I then decided to cut the list in half. Several months before the holiday season began I called everyone that I was taking off my list and explained to them I was overwhelmed by all the "must do's" durning the holiday and explained to them I would much rather exchange cards. All but one of the people felt the same way I did but didn't know how to bring up the subject and was glad that I did.
For most of my friends and family I now exchange a personalized "family ornament". Last year I picked a santa with his list. Each family member was listed on santa's list the year was on his hat. I signed the back with a special message with a sharpie marker. Most of the ornament cost less than $15 and everyone looks so forward to them. I order them online and save the trip to the mall. Here are the two web site I usually use:
ornamentswithlove.com and dough-si-dough.com
for neighbors I make my lemon cake that is always a huge hit. Last year I found a great recipe for dog cookies, they were a huge hit.
For friends and family birthday's, I spend the summer months at the farmer's markets shopping for items. I stock up so I don't have to make a last minute trip to the store that usually ends up costing me too much. I also feel great about supporting the local cottage industry.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
After my parents split up and us girls stayed with my dad, Christmas was always a challenge. Presents from the rest of the family were rare and so our Christmases were, by nature, simple affairs. Presents from my dad were usually books relating to something we each enjoyed, as he didn’t enjoy shopping at all. And filling up Christmas stockings, for my dad, was the hardest part of Christmas. Usually we got some nuts, fruits and some simple candies. Maybe a candy cane or two. A full stocking was a extremely rare occurrence and we always felt bad for my dad as it must have been such a tough time of the year for him.

Between us girls, exchanging gifts was even more frustrating and disappointing, as there was little opportunity to earn money throughout the year and nowhere to spend it once we did earn some. So we had to make all our presents. This, to us kids, was a lot harder than it sounds.

One year, when we were in high school, my sisters and I received a set of Christmas stockings from a friend’s mom. In these stockings, she had put the most intriguing little gifts. While I don’t remember exactly what they were, I do know that it started one of my all-time favorite Christmas traditions.

My sisters and I decided to use whatever money we earned over the year to find the “coolest, most unusual, creative” stocking stuffers we could find. We could buy them, make them, trade for them – whatever… but the idea was to see what sort of treasures we could collect. And we had the entire year to collect them. This sparked the most amazing treasure hunt that lasted for years and years…

All throughout the year, we would pick up an item here, an item there, and each of us had a secret stash of gifts hidden somewhere in the house. Every Christmas eve, we would sneak down with our buckets or boxes of tiny wrapped treasures to stuff in the stockings, each of us getting to “play Santa” – even if just for a little bit.

Even my dad got into the “hunt”… Some of the best gifts were the ones that my Dad added after we had all stuffed our gifts into the stockings with the candy and fruit.

And while many of the gifts are long gone… there are still a few “favorites” that have been gathering dust in my “Treasure box” all these years. (I’m actually starting to gift them to my nephews now that they are old enough to appreciate them.)

For us, I think, the giving was as important as receiving because of the challenge it presented. And it created a sense of family sharing, as we all shared the role of Santa...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  4:42:49 PM  Show Profile
Erin,

How beautiful. I know it wasn't fun when you were younger, but coming up with the stocking idea was a wonderful way to share with each other and show your love.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  9:26:53 PM  Show Profile
We had an unusual childhood, but I wouldn't trade it for anyone else's. It wasn't that it wasn't fun, but just that money was often tight and sometimes things were inconvenient, esp. by today's standards. But we didn't miss these things because we didn't know about them.

We didn't have television (by choice - my dad's) and so we were forced to be creative, which I think was very helpful and gave us valuable skills... Luckily for my dad, we weren't deluged with toy ads at Christmas.

It's funny but we created traditions when we didn't have any of our own. I think it may have been because of the area where I lived (in Tidewater Virginia) is very rich in colonial traditions, esp. in regards to Christmas.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Gathered Up: Previous Topic A Simple Christmas Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page