Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Need advice please..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need advice please.. Next Topic  

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  09:02:08 AM  Show Profile
I have been starting to work with a free motion quilting foot on my sewing machine and I find that it is waaaaay harder than it looks to even make just a willy nilly design that doesnt look wierd. I am wondering if I could maybe draw out a design on the fabric and try to follow it, but I have no idea what to use to draw the pattern. I have tried the white marking pencils that they sell at walmart etc, but it doesnt make a dark enough mark for me to see. Does anyone know of any other products out there? Thanks!

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile
I use a water soluble fabric marker and chalk pencils. It is harder than it looks so I have resorted to using a stencil to get the lines looking nice as I can't draw to save my life. Put music on when you are doing the sewing sounds weird but it helps you get a rhythm going.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,,, you are 'sew' right about the music... there is something about the rhythm, tempo, cadence of music that the body tends to flow with, relax to...

my personal music of choice...Dean Martin! lol! I know it sounds funny.. but Dino & I have 'worked together' many a time!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  10:06:32 AM  Show Profile
I usually put my ipod on and just let the sweet voice of kenny chesney carry me away ;-) thanks ladies
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  12:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Grace I LOVE Dean Martin, he is one of my favorites when I am sewing.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  7:24:23 PM  Show Profile
Find a piece of fabric with a big print. Add batting and backing and baste. With the same thread in the top and bobbin, slowly put your needle down on the print. Bring up the bobbin thread. Hold the thread to the back and begin to sew . Speed up a little and keep up the same speed. Push your shoulders down and relax. Pretend the fabric is the steering wheel of a car and just practice. You didn't walk the first time you tried it either (lol). Good luck

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  7:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I have never used quilting machine, but met a man at Jo Ann's and he told me he took a class when he bought his machine and they told him to work from his ankles relax his shoulders, put on some good music, drink a glass of wine and just do it!! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  12:02:17 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/quilt+pounce+and+stencil+combo.do?sortby=ourPicks

I believe this is what you are looking for....

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

rubyleesmom
Zapped Profile

190 Posts

190 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2012 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie.. that is exactly what I am looking for. And thanks everyone else for the advice! I am going to definately try it all :-)
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Need advice please.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page