Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Organic Food: does it bother others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organic Food: does it bother others? Next Topic
Page: of 2

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Just wondering...does anyone else find that by eating organic, you make some others around you annoyed, even angry? I just don't get it. It happens to us all the time. I don't preach to others, but if you come to my house, I make organic food. If you ask me about it, I will tell you I eat organic and why. Going organic has been a life-saver for us, and we are not spending a fortune on medicine and antibiotics like we used to. It's been over a year since my daughter was on an antibiotic, and in three years that was the only one! Anyway, our eating organic angers some of my family (who do not live with me, or pay my bills, by the way). And some of my friends act like we are silly or that my daughter is deprived in some way. (Trust me, she's not. She gets plenty of treats, and if you look, you can find an organic version of just about anything). One friend called and said she was at a store and found a canned good on sale cheap, would I want her to pick me up a case. I said no thank you, was very polite and thanked her for thinking of me. She got snarky and asked "why...because it isn't organic?" Well, yes, that is the reason. I don't judge her, but I feel like she judges me. Her child has hyperactivity issues, yet, she eats Pop Tarts everyday for breakfast! Then yesterday at the store, the checkout clerk looked at my organic groceries and snipped, "Organics is just an excuse for people to spend more money!" Here in CT, the difference in price is miniscule, and often organics are cheaper. And there are those who say I must live on "sticks and leaves". Not so. I don't say anything at other people's homes, or judge their food. So what gives? Do you run into this, too? Thanks for letting me vent.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:45:14 AM  Show Profile
Nicole
I have noticed that about the prices too. I don't eat totally organic, but most fruits, veggies, & dairy. (we get local meat).
I noticed that the lettuces were exactly the same, & some avocados were cheaper on the organic side. Once you venture into that area of the grocery, you will likely stay. I do prefer local over organic many times though, just because it has not traveled from CA or Mexico to OH.
But I say BRAVO to you!
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  07:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Whatever works for you and your family is all that matters, other people's opinions are just that, it takes a little more work and some people just are,'t willing to do it, so I just wouldn't worry about it! Roxanna
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  09:06:11 AM  Show Profile
It certainly doesn't help when they publish "results" of studies on national news that Pediatricians don't think organic is any different nutritionally.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  10:15:40 AM  Show Profile
We have been eating organic for the last six years, and partly organic for four years before that. I am going to the doctor less and less, and my partner, who has extreme allergies, is getting healthy as well. There isn't a significant difference in price, but there is a difference in the way it makes you feel.m I keep hearing people say there's no difference, but it's because they just haven't tried it yet. If they were doing what you're doing, they wouldn't have anything bad to say.

If this is the life that you have chosen for your family, don't apologize. You are far better off.

ETA: It also doesn't hurt much when folks ask me for my produce because it's "clean".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs

Edited by - pinokeeo on Oct 23 2012 10:17:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

hawkin_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Micah
Austin Texas
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Send hawkin_farmgirl an AOL message  Send hawkin_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I've had similar reactions from some friends. I buy our meat, fruits, veggies, and other random items from the numerous farmers' markets in the Austin area. But I'm lucky that I have other friends who are of the same mind set that I am. We've even had play dates at one of the markets!

I think most people don't understand that you can cook and bake just about anything using just organic ingredients. My one year old has already had a sample (a VERY small one, I might add!) of brownies, ice cream, and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. All completely organic. I can usually change minds with the brownies. :)

But in the end, I usually just shrug it off. Unless they want to buy my groceries and cook for me full time, then they don't get a say. :)

*Micah*
Farmgirl Sister #1478
http://pinterest.com/miss_micahp/
http://misadventuresofamicah.tumblr.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  10:37:46 AM  Show Profile
Most of my friends and family do "get it" and do the same...it just boggles my mind that someone would get their feathers so ruffled by another person's good food choices, especially those who know the positive results we have found. Guess it is just like politics...some people get just plain angry at people who don't do and think the exact same way they do. I find it almost comical that my groceries can get even strangers all puffed up. I've had eyes rolled at me when I grab something organic. I had one mom at a field trip last year see my lunch, pull me aside, and whisper she ate organic, too. She was all excited and said it is like we are in some kind of "secret society", {smile}. I guess the snarky cashier really got me wondering, "Why"?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  11:16:08 AM  Show Profile
Not only is there the health issue, but there's the social justice issue as well. People who work in the fields picking organic crops aren't exposed to the harmful chemicals used to fertilize and protect conventional crops. Plus many producers of organic foods have better employee benefits. it's a win-win situation. It makes no sense, nor is it anyone else's business, for people to get angry at you. Maybe they know you know something they don't know!
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  7:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
I put it down to jealousy. "they" feel guilty because you are doing something good for yourself that takes thought and conscious effort. We have been slowly going organic, moving faster now that DH HAS to get healthy. we have a Basics that is wonderful. they offer local, mostly organic, produce, beef, cheese, all kinds of goodies. and anyone who says Organic doesn't taste better hasn't tried it. Grass fed organic beef, farm fresh eggs, artisan cheese. can not be beat by anything processed.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  05:09:21 AM  Show Profile
I have come across this too. I am partly organic. I wonder if these people that look down on eating organic have the opinion that those of us that do are snobbish or think we are better because of it. I think these people are uneducated about organics.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  06:11:49 AM  Show Profile
I haven't had trouble with this, but then, everyone that we know eats the same as we do, has a garden, belongs to a CSA, etc. We're in that mid to late 30's group of college grads and graduate students that read (probably waaaaaay tooo much) information about our nation's food issues, and were the "new wave" of people going vegetarian in the late 80's, early 90's who have since, either fallen back on the meat wagon but only eat grass fed/local organic or are still vegetarian and have a heck of a lot more options now. When asked by someone who knows I'm a cook and that I love food, about the the pro's and con's of eating organically raised foods, I'll tell them how it works for us, how I don't have nearly the digestive issues I've had in the past and that it suits the way my husband and I choose to respect our food sources. I'm not preachy, just informed. Additionally, my little one eats solely organic foods in our house, but when she goes to her Nana's or other grandmother's, I do not ever expect them to provide her with these items--they are retired and because they do us a great favor of watching her, I never ever demand that she have organic there. Probably again why I don't get any great resistance.

The choices you make for your family are YOURS. And I don't give a fig for anyone else's opinion on how I choose to eat. If I'm an ax murderer, you can make a comment. If I buy a 70 cent organic lemon vs. a 70 cent non organic lemon, button your lip!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  06:59:05 AM  Show Profile
Well, it doesn't change what we eat, nor does it bother me too much. It's just mind-boggling how people need to be in each other's business I guess. I'm with you, Jonni, in that we don't expect our daughter (or ourselves) to eat organic at someone else's home unless they are organic followers,too. If they only really knew what a difference eating organic really makes!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
I've found that since I went to organics, I can taste the difference in what others eat. If that makes me a snob, then so be it. I don't refuse to eat other's food, just have to tell myself that it's ok now and then. I just don't make it a habit.

As for others being in your face about it, just know that it's mostly because they are uninformed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  4:00:12 PM  Show Profile
We have a lot of trouble not so much with the organic issue,but with people respecting rather than belittling our choice to no longer eat beef. We made the choice in 1999 and it may have been a bit more unusual back then. But, now, I feel like there are many people who have at least cut down on their consumption of beef, so why is it such a topic of conversation with some of our friends?? Is it really that difficult to include our chicken on the BBQ? We'll bring it ourselves ...

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2012 :  10:17:13 PM  Show Profile
Welp, when I hauled groceries on my big rig, I did haul quite a bit of organic stuff. If you saw how a lot of organic stuff is stored at the warehouses, you might want to rethink some of the organic stuff. I did my part in keeping things at the right temp and in good shape but I mean some of the things I saw on the docks, both organic and non-organic. It's a good thing we have good immune systems, believe you me.

Then, the grocery store guys would joke that the organic people (who, from what I heard, were uber picky to the point of getting angry when they didn't feel the food was up to their snuff) would probably die of a heart attack from stressing over their food, instead of going with the flow. But, they wouldn't dare say that to the shopping public.

Yep, I read a report not too long ago which said organic wasn't that much better than non-organic. I truly don't know. But, I do know I watched some organic chef on TV and she was 51 years old. She looked far, far older than her age. Then there is the other 51 year old chef, Nigella (??), who eats all the meat, butter and lots of wine (yum) and looks like she's a good 10 years younger.

To me, if you want to eat organic, go for it. You're paying for it, you can do as you wish. I eat what suits me at the time, be it org or non-org. It's no one's biz!! Personally, life is so short, I'm going to enjoy every spare minute and if that means eating meat and lots of wine, I'm there. If the enjoyment at the time means org fruits and veggies, as long as I can cook it, I'll do that.

I understand your need to vent and here's the spot to do it!

My website:

http://twohorseswalkingdesigns.com

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/twohorseswalkingdesigns

Pinterest:

http://pinterest.com/goneirish/

Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  03:20:10 AM  Show Profile
I used to be a vegetarian, and still try to abstain from meat. I also don't eat pork and catfish and and some other things because I follow the diet recommended in the Bible. It is amazing how many people get upset over what I do or don't eat. I don't judge or even really care what others eat, sheesh!
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  04:54:35 AM  Show Profile
Moving from west coast to mid west? Had a hard time finding more natural and organic.
This year a grocery store opened that is mostly organic.
Prices on their fresh vegs is affordable. I'm feeling very blessed by this store!

I think if families would realize that what they spend at McDonald's a couple times a week? Would cover the increase in organic?

I watch for sales and usually stock up if I can then.

Few years ago I ate 100% organic, did use portion control? But I didn't deprive myself of any food groups or treats! Ladies I lost 50 lbs in a year with really no effort at all! That had me wondering what on earth is in our foods!!!!
Beyond what they even say!
Sadly, after the move and no access to organic. Slowly that weight came back on.

Hoping now again? To get back with the organic healthy options that are more available now.

I have long felt that the things, chemicals , genetic modifications, etc just cannot be right.
Anyone ever read 'The Makers Diet'?
Great book that makes sense!

Have a good day everyone !

Farmgirl blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  04:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Yikes!
Just realized my post kinda sounded judgemental of others!
Sorry, that's not how I meant it to be!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  06:25:10 AM  Show Profile
Wow. Lots of reactions...didn't expect that. I hope mine didn't sound judgmental, either. I was not trying to sound that way at all! It's just that I get tired of feeling I must defend what I feed my family, when it isn't anyone's business anyway. My daughter has come home from play dates, sent home with bags of junk food because it is thought she must be deprived of treats. I am not talking sending some brownies home or something like that, I mean bags of those popsicles that are in plastic wrap with heavy food colorings and high fructose corn syrup, Ho-Ho's, and plastic tubs of blue-dyed cotton candy(the kind on store shelves, not fair food). I didn't let her eat stuff like that at home when we didn't do organic, much less now. Funny thing is, she doesn't like stuff like that anyway. For breakfast my daughter eats organic oatmeal with maple syrup, cereal with milk (there are some organic "fun" ones, too), or toast with cheddar cheese or jam. On weekends we eat pancakes or eggs. She doesn't eat three pop-tarts or donuts for breakfast, and if she did, she'd be bouncing then crashing, (although Natures Own makes an organic pop tart which I have purchased as a treat from time to time, but she must eat something healthy first). She even reads ingredients on packages, and she knows to respect other people and what they eat at their homes. Sending her home with junk to eat at my home makes me feel disrespected.

For us, we all feel yucky after eating non-organics. The change in our household was amazing. Our pediatrician is fascinated by the change in our family, and now we see her more at the grocery store than her office! She says she wishes more patients ate organic. My DH lost 20 pounds by eating organic. Everything tastes so much better, especially grass-fed organic beef! :) Oh and grapes! I can taste the difference. Conventional ones taste "grainy" to me, while the organics are sweet and smooth. And our change at our house was gradual. We slowly morphed into 100% organic, and I have some tried-and-true recipes that are good and economical. We are lucky that we have so many places around us carrying organics.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  09:38:17 AM  Show Profile
It was the same for me. Felt better and losing the weight just mostly by switching to all organic was crazy!

I still had chocolate, ice cream etc. but it was organic.
I'm very thankful for our small organic grocer out here now!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  7:10:08 PM  Show Profile
When I went to organic foods, my kids thought I was nuts. But I felt a whole lot better and had more energy. No worries about sugar highs and lows. And I lost weight. Girl you do what you feel is best for your family and don't worry about what everyone thinks. Its your body not there's.
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  1:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Nicole for you heartfelt distress on this subject. I too went organic after spending many trips to the emergency room only to be told there was nothing wrong with me according to the standard medical test I was given. So the only other place to look was the food I was eating. After researching the chemicals that are listed on the food packaging, I discovered that my health issues were directly related to those chemicals. When I removed them, I got well and lost 50 pounds to boot. Maybe that's the reason we have an obesity epidemic in this country. These chemicals prevent the body's regulatory system from doing it's job. A little research went a long way to the road of better health for me.
If I have to take the heat from my friends about my organic eating, then so be it. Bring it on. I feel good, look good and have more energy than most of them do. I'd say I made the right life decision and it sounds like you did too. Great job for being Aware and Awake. That's what being a Farm girl is all about to me.

Farm girl #2416

Edited by - Arctic Flower on Oct 31 2012 2:00:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  2:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Laura- Are you Kosher? I've always liked the idea of that, but never tried it specifically. I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian in my middle school/high school days, so I suppose that qualified, but it wasn't on purpose. DH loves bacon, so I don't know how well that would go over with him.

I don't eat all Organic. I'm working on it, but the price difference here is actually a little nuts! It's always at least 50c/lb higher, if not over a dollar. But I really do have a goal to get all natural (not certified Organic necessarily- just means more government involvement) from local suppliers.

I wish that people wouldn't take others' lifestyle choices so personally. I catch flack whenever I talk about Monsanto, or that GMOs are NOT good for us. People are just very involved in their opinions/guilt I think. Whenever someone is making better choices in anything, lots of people see it as a negative commentary on their choices when it's really not.

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Natalie!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

tammyc
True Blue Farmgirl

698 Posts

Tammy
Danville California
USA
698 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  3:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Interesting topic ladies! Here in the Bay Area (Northern California) it is the polar opposite of what you experience, Nicole. If you DON'T eat organic, people frown upon it. Even our schools serve only organic food for lunches. It just becomes a way of life to eat organic. I have organic produce delivered by a company called Farm Fresh to You once a week. I buy organic meat which definitely tastes better, especially the beef. I always buy organic dairy products. Organic food here is so easily accessible, we are lucky. I haven't paid attention to the price difference, but I'm sure there is a bit of a difference. It's worth it though to be healthy!

"Be who you are and say what you like because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2012 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile
Natalie,

It seems to me that people are always afraid of things they do not understand. We should actually feel sorry for these individuals.
Personally I would rather pay for organic food instead of paying the doctors, drug stores and hospitals.
You should never feel bad about doing what is good for you or your family.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Organic Food: does it bother others? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page