mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  07:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday, at about 10:30am, a man by the name of Charles Roberts walked into an Amish school very close to Paradise, Pa. and murdered three students and an aide. He let the fifteen boys leave the building as well as three teachers. He only wanted the girls. After the others had left, he put 2x6's and 2x4's on the doors so no one could enter or leave. He then tied the girls ankles (ages 6 to 13 and one aide) together and lined them up in front of the blackboard and shot them. All. He killed three little girls and the aide. The other seven have been airlifted to other area hospitals where all of these little girls are fighting for their very lives. He then turned the gun on himself and killed himself. All the little boys were so scared that they ran to a swampy/wooded area and hid until the police found them. One of the teachers ran to a neighboring house and called 911.

This man was married and had three children. He apparently had a grudge against Amish girls that happened 20 years ago to him....which made him twelve years old when it happened. They are still trying to figure out what made him snap yesterday.

I ask you all to pray for these grieving families. In Amish schools, there are first graders and eighth graders all in the same room. That means, brothers, sisters, and cousins are all together. Can you just imagine the grief these mothers and fathers are going through? Please pray that God will give these families strength and also to heal these seven other little girls who are fighting to live. I truly believe that where two are more are gathered in His name that He hears us. Please. It's all we can give to these families to help them right now. Love, Susan

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  07:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
susan,
thank you so much for starting this thread.
ever since this story broke yesterday i have had such an aching in my heart, and knew there was no way to reach out and resolve the pain that this event brought.
i literally just broke into tears. there is an amish community just north of our farm, it is in oklahoma. once a year they have a huge fair, a fund raiser for their school support for the year. it is the one time that we english are really allowed to interact with the community.
i know that there is no perfection here on earth, but i do admire the amish for their lifestyle and attempts to not be of this world. truly i felt yesterday that there had been an assault on the innocents of the innocent. i am struggling so hard with my feelings of anger. i wish something could be done to stop the violence and brutality in this world.
i do not have any solutions, or wisdom, i am left with only my heartfelt prayers that the mothers, fathers, sisters,brothers of all these victims will have the comfort of their faith. the amish today asked for privacy and prayer, i will continue to keep them in my prayers, and God help us all.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
This is the first I've heard of the murders, but it makes my heart heavy. I grew up near a sect of believers much like the amish (even went to kindegarten at their school). I will never understand murder, but murder against those who want only peace is even more horrific. These families will be in my prayers.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  08:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't understand such evil. My heart is so grieved for these families as well as the killers family. I can't even begin to understand how they must feel. Prayers ascending on behalf of them all. Thanks Susan.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile
I just cannot imagine what the families are going through at this time. For a society that tries to live "out of the world", it came rushing right in the back door with all the force of a tornado, tearing their lives to shreds.
And for the family of the man that did this horrible thing, how will they live with what their husband/father has done? What a mark to leave on your children's lives. They became victims of their father's delusions as well, yesterday.
You're right, Julia. Our prayers should be for them all.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm sorry I didn't say to pray for the man's wife and children as well. My heart is so heavy that I'm not thinking straight. You see, my Amish neighbor, Sadie, is a teacher at the Amish school that is two miles from the one yesterday. I literally ran to my neighbors house to make sure that Sadie was not one of those hit by bullitts. She is eighteen years old and has six students...three with down syndrome and three in wheelchairs. One of the girls still alive, the thirteen year old, is showing some improvement. Please, please forgive me for omitting Mr. Roberts family when asking for prayer. Life as they've known it is over, too.

Yesterday, when Annie and her family had convinced me that Sadie was okay, Annie (the mom of 9) hugged me so tightly I could hardly breathe. The Amish don't hug or show outward signs of affection. When she did this, I knew we were mourning death and celebrating life at the same time. We all should hug more. Susan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  11:38:48 AM  Show Profile
This is just so tragic. I cried and cried while I was milking last night..just thinking about how many lives were torn apart and how their world has changed. Just tragic.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  12:18:38 PM  Show Profile
I couldnt believe it either. When I think of those children, those who are so protected from this kind of ugliness, my heart cries out. I cant begin to think of what horror they had to endure. One of the reporters said where theres people theres evil. I have lived my whole life trying to prove that isn't true because I dont want it to be true, then something so horrible happens, something so unthinkable. The schools in this country are becoming killing fields and the Amish don't want any of it. A peaceful, religious group of people who want to stay among themselves had to live the crap that they fight so hard to keep away from. It's heartbreaking beyond words.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:48:22 PM  Show Profile
What an unbelievable tragedy. We live near Philadelphia so it has been constantly on the news. Unfortunatly two more girls have passed away from their injuries since yesterday. When they read those little angels names (all 5 of them) on the news today it was devestating. I can't imagine what the Amish community is going through right now, I have such respect for those people. Susan we will pray for the man's family too, I'm sure they don't know what to think or which way to turn. If anyone hears of any way we can reach out to help please post. I can't think of anything, all we can do is pray, it does leave you kind of numb.
Kelly
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  6:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
The news is heart breaking and it only gets worse as the news goes on. In the utah news it said he had molested family members and no one but those who where molested knew and hadn't told yet as they where still ashamed of it and it happened almost 20 years ago to. They also said he originally wanted to do the same to those poor little children in the school but the police broke in first so he shot and killed instead. ( my understanding is he left some sort of detailed notes as to his plan)

It is just so destructive how people can be to one another. I don't even like when my children do normal children squables this is just horrific. All the innocence just lost for an entire community. A community that is use to taking care of itself now the whole world is in their faces literaly with the news crews and all. Not the life they choose by any means. They are all in my heart all that lost lives and loves ones and their innocents.

May God bless and keep the rest well that their little bodies might heel.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my other web store http://vintagethreads.etsy.com/
my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 03 2006 6:22:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  6:15:41 PM  Show Profile
I was up late last night, and saw on CNN, I think...that since the school year started this August, that there have been 17 school shootings in the US!
Not all of them have been on the national news, we only hear of bad ones...17! can you believe it!

I am just sick about the poor Amish children, their families, the wife and family of the sick, sick man who did this....SO many victims.

I hope I can sleep tonight, I was just so upset last night and when I finally fell asleep I dreampt of it....

Maybe if we all pray together we can heal a little

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2006 :  2:46:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh, My. Sunshine, that's the first I'd heard of his molesting family members. And after the previous rapes/shootings I wondered about that, as it has been called a copy-cat. I had wondered if you lived near this school, Susan. I'm glad your neighbor Sadie was okay, and that her mother was able to reach out and hug you. You all are so right that Mr. Robert's family needs prayer and healing as well as the families of these children. Maranatha.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  07:46:22 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
The more I hear about this, the more heartbreaking it becomes. I hear so little of the news, that when I do hear something like this it makes me physicaly sick. That whole community must be traumatized. My prayers are with everyone involved. Susan, I am glad that your neighbor is alright.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  10:15:48 AM  Show Profile
I was so impressed, but not surprised at the Amish community's loving and forgiving attitude. Having such faith in their Lord, knowing that the girls are all safe in His arms. I know they must grieve terribly, but to be so steadfast in their faith. If only we could all learn from them and their example.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Kelly43
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

NJ
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:12:29 AM  Show Profile
I second that Julia! What a blessing to live in such a community.
Kel
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2006 :  11:24:11 AM  Show Profile
My prayers go out for these families! I had not heard this-my heart is heavy!
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Amish murders Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page