Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 A Beautiful Day What'r You working on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Beautiful Day What'r You working on? Next Topic  

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:23:09 AM  Show Profile
...to come visiti my Farm Gal Pals! I hope everyone is doing fine today! It's a cool crisp day here. I have another fire going, and I'm sure by 9 pm tonight I'll have the air conditioner back on lol. Going to knit on my socks some and watch the Hallmark Channel! What are you guys working on or doing today?

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:31:42 AM  Show Profile
Pine needle baskets. The trees finally gave up their needles, so I'm working.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:35:19 AM  Show Profile
Ohhh that sounds wonderful! I bet it smells like Christmas! I'd love to learn how to make those. It sounds very interesting! I'd love to see some of yours. If you post pictures let me know! Do you sell them?

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful day! A/C off windows open getting ready to bake some pumpkin bread, finish shawl off loom and continue knitting a baby blanket. Enjoy you day!

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:13:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm watching college football, and then will be going outside.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Raking leaves, drinking good coffee, sewing a couple of Christmas aprons for gifts and perhaps some gluten-free baking

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:25:13 AM  Show Profile
Well... let's see... I spent the morning prepping apples and celery.. now they're in the dehydrator. The rest of the day, I'll be tackling the laundry, doing a little bit of dusting and vacuuming, cleaning up and preparing more of the garden for winter, making a couple of long overdue pizzas for my son (I promised over a week ago - busy, busy! He just smiled and said, "'Bout time!" LOL!), and, if my hubby is still game, we're going to rearrange the livingroom before heading out to Mass! I guess we could call it "nesting!" LOL! Tomorrow? I'll be making pumpkin muffins and an apple pie in the morning, running some outgrown clothing to Goodwill, making a nice pot roast dinner, possibly canning some meat, and, if my half-pig is ready, I'll be preparing that for the freezer with my FoodSaver. You know... SOMETIMES I feel like a wonder worker - don't you? LOL!!! It's just another farmgirl can-do weekend!!! :) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I went to the Farmers' Market and St. Vincent De Pauls this morning....got some really good basil farmer and butterkase cheese from the cheese lady at the market and found some good treasures at the thrift. Now I have a ton of apples to make use of. Going to make two different types of apple bars, some applesauce, and pie filling. If I have time, I plan on making some kohlrabi and potato soup. Tonight I am going to sew some pillow cases for the new (old) bed I just got while listening to Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion. Love that "show."

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
It is a gorgeous day here in Okieland too, kind of cool and crisp so the windows are open because I am heating up the house rendering 20 lbs of kidney fat into tallow for soap. My hubby has been a gem and helped me cut it all up into teeny tiny pieces and now all 20 lbs is in a huge stock pot, slowly simmering for the next 5 hours. Teaching a canning and dehydrating class tonight and then I get to keep my grandbaby overnight. Just a great day all around!!! You all sound busy as beavers with wonderful projects!! Happy Saturday!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  10:25:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! Sounds like fun Gerri! Would love to see your shawl! I have a coverelt my Mom made a few years ago. I need to learn how to use her loom she gave me but I haven't ever tried yet. I have some Amish friends that said they could teach me to make rugs on it, I guess a coverlet or blanket wouldn't be much different. The pattern Mom used was a very very old pattern from a book she had. I could never do something as intricate as that, but I'd love to learn!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  10:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Marly it's been baseball here the past few days, but the guys like football too. I just don't understand the game so I sort of get lost watching it lol. Annika, that coffee sounds good! I think I'll pour me another cup!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  10:29:24 AM  Show Profile
My goodness Nini!!! You are one busy lady! Emily that soup sounds awesome!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  10:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Marybeth I've never made soap like that before but I used the old Foxfire book once and used the old lye recipe and made lye soap. It was great to get stains out of clothes with. I'd love to make all the "smell good" soaps that people make. I just love them. What a talented bunch of ladies there are here. Isn't it amazing!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  11:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Mikki, this is the same as the old fashioned soap where they rendered the fat in those great big cast iron pots and then added the lye water to make soap. Only difference is that I, and other soapmakers, also add other oils and smell good essential oils. But it's still the same ol' basic thing!! So you are smarter then you give yourself credit for!! I love the Foxfire books and grew up in the Smokies. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  11:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Yes the Foxfire books are awesome! It all just seems so hard, the soapmaking. After I was unable to buy lye at the store I just never made it anymore. I know we can purchase it online now but I never took the time to do it. Rendering the fat sounds like a major chore! It's all very interesting to me. There are so many things like that I would love to do. I'd love to make the hand-dipped candles too, my Mom done that once when I was younger. She was super crafty and always wanted to try new things.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mikki good to hear you are still out there. How is life treating you? Extra good I hope. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  1:51:25 PM  Show Profile
Its raining here today, kind of chilly, so I went to the thrift and found the perfect thing for a day like this , a QUILT. I posted a picture on my site.
Mikki Jo, do you still have your little cabin that was just for you?
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  2:22:56 PM  Show Profile
Ohh I'll have to check it out! Yes I do still have my little cabin. I've not been there in a bit, just been busy. I've not been thrifting in forever. I'll have to go very soon!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Just finished putting on a huge pot of butternut squash soup. Gonna freeze it and send it with my hubby on his hunting trip. Should be easy for him to reheat and I'll know he's eatting some veggies this way :)

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  4:42:17 PM  Show Profile
We got 3 horses in this week to do training and consignment sales on. One more is coming tomorrow. So we have been working all week getting everyone situated and then today which we honor as the Sabbath we are just feeding, petting and getting everyone settled in some more. Yup petting and feeding that's what I did all day. You ladies all sound so talented. Mary Beth I want to buy and try some of your soap sometime! Has to be good with all the love you are putting into it.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  6:01:32 PM  Show Profile
I've never had butternut squash soup, it sounds yummy Alyssa! Laura you've been busy! I no longer have my horse and donkeys, nor my beloved goats. I sure do miss them and miss all my chickens too. We just became so busy with my son in baseball we didn't have time for much else. I'd sure love to at least get some more goats but I don't think my husband wants any. :(

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  6:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Our last Market Saturday for the local Farmers Market season! Been going since the first of June and only one more Saturday for the season, however, we'll be off to a craft fair next week. An absolutely beautiful Colorado fall day!
We set up before the sun was up and it was cold . . . kinda hard hanging aprons to display with cold fingers, but we got it done. It warmed up to mid-70s, had a great sale day! Went to lunch (hubby and me) at the local farm-to-table restaurant, then some grocery shopping.
Finishing up this 'n' that and started working on some ATCs for a couple swap groups!
Gonna park my farmgirl body on the couch and watch some RFD TV programs tonight!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinokeeo
True Blue Farmgirl

559 Posts

Phyllis
Oregon
USA
559 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  08:39:13 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mikki

Ohhh that sounds wonderful! I bet it smells like Christmas! I'd love to learn how to make those. It sounds very interesting! I'd love to see some of yours. If you post pictures let me know! Do you sell them?

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

I've made several baskets, but I've never sold them yet. Mostly, I just give them to friends.

And I love making squash soup. It's one of my winter staples, because I can make lots of it and freeze it for another day.

I wish some of you lived closer. We have so many apples that we are having a hard time processing all of them. We've made apple butter, applesauce, apple leather, apple muffins and dried apples, and today I will be making pies and turnovers for the freezer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I cannot master those things that I have not tried.

check out my artfire: http://www.artfire.com/users/PiNOKEEOs
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2012 :  12:02:14 PM  Show Profile
I am relaxing, trying to get better from the darn flu.
Doing some knitting and cross stitch and totally enjoying the Live Come Softly series on Hallmark.Loved the books and Love the series!

It's a warm fall day here and I'm watching more and more leaves falling .

Blessings,
Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic A Beautiful Day What'r You working on? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page