Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Tocophodermis salve homemade recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Tocophodermis salve homemade recipe Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2012 :  05:58:24 AM  Show Profile
I just bought a jar of Tocophodermis salve for my hands which have been cracking. This products works wonders, but should because a 3.5 oz jar was $18.50. I want a recipe that is similar I can make myself. Here are the ingredients. Castor seed oil, beeswax, vitamin E, Vitamin A, lecithin, flaxseed oil, and lavender oil. I would really appreciate a recipe if anyone has one.

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2013 :  11:04:50 AM  Show Profile
Are you looking to make these ingredients into a formula? If so, this is what I would do, and I'm coming from over 20 years of salve making experience.
Castor oil - 4 oz
Flaxseed oil - 2 oz
Beeswax - 2/3 oz
Vitamin E - 1 capsule
Vitamin A - 1 capsule
Lecithin - optional - if you want to use it - then maybe 1/8 teaspoon, if that
Lavender oil - 10 - 25 drops per your preference.

Melt the beeswax in a saucepan. Take off heat and add castor and flaxseed oils. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Put some on a teaspoon and put in your freezer for about 5-8 minutes. When completely cool, but not cold, test for hardness. If it's perfect, you can pour the salve into your jars. If it's too hard, add a bit more flaxseed oil - you may need to warm up the salve if it has begun to harden. If it's too soft, melt a little beeswax in a different pan and pour in. A little means no more than 1/8-1/4 oz. When melted, pour into the salve and test for hardness again. It's very easy to adjust to the perfect consistency that you are wanting.
There you go!

----------------------------------------------------------

Cedar Mountain Herb School and Botanicals, LLC
www.cedarmountainherbs.com
Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the recipe!!!! I think this will work. I am going to have to find the castor seed oil and flax seed oil. What will happen if I don't add the lecithin? Can I trade almond oil for one of the oils you suggest? I want to do the right thing, but have some almond oil. I am so excited, I even purchased a small double boiler pan at the thrift store just for this project. I also have the jars. I have tons of essential oils, but love lavender and will be using it.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2013 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile
The castor oil is very thick. You can find it at Wal-Mart. If you have a Super Supplements or food co op, you can find the flax seed oil. If not, you can use straight up olive oil. You can use seseame oil. Both of those you can find in your grocery store. The sesame oil should be in the Asian food section. I make a facial serum with avocado, sesame, sea buckthorn, calendula extracted in jojoba oil and other oils. All the oils can be substituted for other oils, but I would suggest not using corn or canola oil. The lecithin is probably used as a preservative or for the amino acids that are in it. Not necessary to use that, and you wouldn't miss it. xxoo

Become a fan! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cedar-Mountain-Herb-School/199194060117277

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  5:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Made the hand salve and it turned out great. I did a side by side test and think the one I bought and the one I made are very similar. I may add more essential oil next time. Is there a website that has different recipes like this mixture?
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  6:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Awesome!!! I'm so proud of you. So easy to make, hey? I don't know if there are websites with recipes. I teach medicine making classes, but I'm in Washington. I do know that what you made is all natural and there are a lot of chemical preservative/synthetic color and scent recipes out there. Not my cup of tea.

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  6:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Wildcrafter, forgot to add I appreciate your reply. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2013 :  6:11:35 PM  Show Profile
You are most welcome. It's what I do, ma'am, it's what I do.

Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  02:59:10 AM  Show Profile
Just got to thinking. Since you deal with herbs can you tell me which ones are effective to treat Lyme disease. I have probably had it for decades, but diagnosed about 1 year ago. I do go to a DO that uses herbs, but would like your take on it if you don't mind sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  07:44:11 AM  Show Profile
I don't shoot from the hip, herbally, but I do consultations. The way I do it is that I send you a medical/lifestyle/diet survey, you fill it out, I evaluate and we go from there. When folks shoot from the hip and give out answers to the question...what's a good herb for_______________, it quite often ends up being wrong or harmful information given. Suzanne@cedarmountainherbs.com

Go to Top of Page

Katlady93
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

Charlotte
Denmark SC
USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2013 :  09:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Katlady93 a Yahoo! Message
thanks for this info. my DHs hands crack terribly, i am going to try this.

Some dreams are worth the risk it takes to make them real.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footsteps on the moon.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  08:09:37 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try that also, the dermatologist game me some heavy duty cream but its a petroleum based product.... I'm not liking that and I need something more than using olive oil. THanks for sharing!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2013 :  08:22:24 AM  Show Profile
You are most welcome. Using the thicker castor oil can make a difference. So would adding just a tad more beeswax. Incidentally, the store bought version that's called Tocophodermis? Tocopherol is another name for Vitamin E, and dermis means skin. Vitamin E skin! :-) I think we can come up with a better name, yes?

Edited by - Wildcrafter on Jan 14 2013 08:23:50 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Tocophodermis salve homemade recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page