YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  12:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have an EASY way to peel a butternut squash? I tried a peeler, then tried microwaving it and peeling it... ARGH!!! So TOUGH! Plus I got a little skin in my squash soup. Yuck!

Any suggestions appreciated!

Karin

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  3:01:35 PM  Show Profile
the only way that i cook butternut squash is to bake at 350 about 2 hours- then i just use a knife to peel it...sorry not more help !i can then mash it or we can eat it as is..don't know how it would work in soup...

i guess i need to add--i am so lazy that i just put the squash in my 9 X 13 pan whole (washed on the outside!), make a slice in the top lengthwise to allow steam to escape and put about an inch of water in the pan....

as nini says, the longer you cook it the mushier it gets....we love it "smashed" ! i usually cook two at a time and hope to freeze some- hahaha! we always eat it all before it gets to the freezer!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Oct 14 2012 04:41:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile
I do the same thing as Margo...except I steam it the same way I do pumpkins. I put water in a broiler pan, then put my cookie racks over that, then put the seeded squash halves on top of the racks so that the hollow part is facing down over the water. Then I prick the skin, and steam in a 350 degree oven until the skin is loose. The longer you cook it, the creamier and mushier it becomes, so if you want to cube it, then take it out of the oven just when you see the skin start to loosen. If you steam it longer, the squash will still stay in tact, but when you remove the skin, the inside will mash much easier. Hope this helps, too, Karin! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Oct 13 2012 4:30:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Peeling butternut squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page