Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills
 "Cyber" Pearl Harbor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic "Cyber" Pearl Harbor Next Topic  

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  9:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok, so Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says we are in grave danger from a terrorist attack via our internet systems. He spoke of poisoned water supplies, power systems offline, etc. How ready are you, really? I recently attended a meeting held by one of our county commissioners. She spoke of "Yo-Yo", meaning You're on Your Own. She talked about backpacks for every member of the family, having your important papers on disc or drive so you can carry them with you. Emergency food and water, etc.
So, how ready are we, really? If we woke up tomorrow morning and the power was down, water not pumping, refrigerator thawing fast, could you and your family survive?

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Melina...that is really something worth thinking about. And I have...I have my own well so I decided that I needed a hand pump to store away...just in case...then the cheapest one I could find was 1600 dollars and that wasn't counting all the necessary accessories that you have to have with it. So I am now thinking about water. And I think we are way too dependent on refrigeration, I know that in France there is no ice for beverages...all are drank at room temperature. Of course, I realize other items need refrigeration. I have kerosene lamps...I can all my veggies & dry goods...I try to stay stocked up, I live out in the country, so I see no need to flee anywhere else. But, wow, Panetta actually said that? Hummmm, more planning....

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2012 :  10:00:16 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry, your question was....could my family survive? Yes, I believe we could, because we are independent and very self-reliant...so I have every confidence that we would survive.

Thank you for bring this to my attention!

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  04:49:18 AM  Show Profile
We are pretty well self relient too. We live off grid. Short of a nuclear attack, we're all good. Wish my gardens produced better this year though.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  05:56:12 AM  Show Profile
We did not get our rain barrels in place, however we are prepared to heat without electricity, and have the means to cook without electricity. I'm already working more with dehydrating vs. freezing also.

However, if computers are attacked, consider medical care. Are you prepared for that? I am seeking natural remedies. The other day when my daughter needed a prescription, the bank card reader was not working at urgent care, and the computer system completely went down at the pharmacy. It was hours before it came back on.

Could you survive with out a doctor? Would you have cash on hand? It was something for me to think about.

2011 Farmgirl of the Year
July 2012 Farmgirl of the Month
Farmgirl #800
My Life: http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

Recycle Ideas: http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://roosterscrowfarm.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2012 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Frankly, I would just go without my meds if if this was something long term. I'm no herbalist and would be scared of picking the wrong plants for what I need.
Not only that, I don't know what one would use I'm place of synthroid anyway.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Off the Grid/Homesteading Skills: Previous Topic "Cyber" Pearl Harbor Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page