shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile
I have now done a few swaps and love it! I love making things and sharing with others.

But,

...when I look at the pictures of others swaps, and the extra goodies sent along with the swap, I get alittle worried. The crafts are always really cute, we've got very talented sisters here! And the goodies are, oh wow type goodies. I'm on a very fixed income and the little extras I send are usually treasure I have here at home that I want to share. Sometimes I find something on a clearance sale that I think would be fun to share, but mostly it's nice stuff I have.

I worry that my swap sister may feel jipped.

Again, I love doing the craft, which I think is the main purpose of the swap. But I feel like sometimes it more about the goodies.I'm not really sure what my point is here, I just kind of feel like maybe I shouldn't swap if I can't afford to buy new goodies.

I wonder if anyone else feels like this?

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  1:21:30 PM  Show Profile
That's why I don't do swaps anymore. I have not gotten 2 back that I really put a lot of work into. And some of the other swaps I have done, when I see what some people get, is not much compared to theirs. So I have stopped doing them. Not that all that matters, but when I put so much into a project, especially home made, I would like to at least get something comparable to what I have given them.

I hope this didn't come off sounding too awful. Sorry.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Oct 06 2012 2:09:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  1:39:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm doing my first swap with the Halloween Trick or Treat Swap. I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm hoping fine, because I don't understand why someone would get involved in a swap, then not send anything.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  1:48:44 PM  Show Profile
I do the swaps because I love making and giving of myself. I am never too concerned about what I receive. There is no rule about extra goodies, you include them only if you want to.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have not done any swaps, and don't think I will. Reason being, I did think about one swap and inquired about it, but felt that because "they" did not know me (I was new to the forum) "they"
were very obtuse about it. Like I should know these things.
If someone is asking ... it is because THEY don't know or have never done it! What ever happened to people helping others out? Do we have so little time that "we" can't take a few minutes and maybe explain things.
I have a VERY good understanding of crafting ... but to be "blown off" really just turned me off on wanting to ever join in.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Sorry that this has happened to you ladies. I like the swaps because I have learned so many creative things by doing them. It can be disappointing if you don't recieve anything back and I have had that happen. Mostly it has been a positive experience for me and I don't really care about the goodies. I just try and send what I can. Please don't let a bad experience keep you from joining in. It can be a lot of fun and you really do learn a lot from doing them.
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  5:06:43 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of hosting a swap...like a knitted winter hat....and maybe have it a craft only swap. Think of how easy shipping would be, a hat would fit in a large envelope...no boxes to hunt down and less shipping cost! hmmm....maybe....

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  5:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Shanda,
I have hostessed a lot of the swaps and I try to be sure to specify just exactly what the swap is. I also include a statement that says that "extra goodies are optional and totally up to the sender, but to please not expect same in return". For me and I know it is true for most of the farmgirl swappers, if I do the "extras" it's just because I want to and I don't expect reciprocation.
I enjoy the swaps immensely and I have been burned, but I don't let that deter me or take the joy out of it.
I hope you'll continue to swap . . . and host . . . just for the fun and satisfaction of it. Don't let that other stuff worry you.

Teri,
I'm sooooo sorry for the way you were treated! As a hostess, I try to be specific in the details in my description posts, but I don't expect anyone to know everything about it. Hosting a swap can be challenging, especially when you have those who don't follow through at all. But there is no reason to be less than helpful, courteous and gracious . . . and I try to be all of those things. I DO hope you'll reconsider joining in some swaps because we DO have some great hostesses!!! It is a ton of fun as well!
Hang in there!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Oct 06 2012 9:13:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  5:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
BTW: Shanda, I have hostessed some swaps where I specified that the swap was ONLY for . . . whatever the swap was. And for swappers to just focus on that specific item. So, you can make those specifications.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2012 :  8:05:55 PM  Show Profile
Teri, now I understand about the Swaps. I am so sorry you had to experience such a thing. I am sorry "they" have blown you off, especially for wanting to do something that could and probably would have been such fun. I'll email you later.
Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  06:57:38 AM  Show Profile
Dear Shanda, I have only been with MJF for a year now, and have done a few swaps, and I am one of those that send the extra goodies and have gone overboard with things. The reason being is first I love to give, second is I was not blessed with being able to take two sticks put them together and get wow, mine look like two sticks. I can't knit and sew only for myself, so I try to make up for my lack of crafty talent with store bought. I treasure the hand make items I have recieved. The only time I was disappointed was when I never recieved a simple Thank you, which caused me to stop doing swaps for awhile. Please don't stop doing swaps, it's not the getting it's the giving from the heart that matters. Karla
Go to Top of Page

cozie lady
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Amy
Mt Pleasant MI
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Shanda, I am new to MJF, I have been involved with 2 swaps and will continue. I like to give and it is so exciting to get a package in the mail. My first swap I was a little nervous about but everything worked out and the next swap was even more fun. I am sure I will get involved with another. I hope no ever feels they are jipped with the packages that I send.

amy r
sister #4186
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  11:51:53 AM  Show Profile
never ever again will I do a swap, 4 differant times, got nothing back on 2, got really awful swap item back 1 time, and the 4th time, was told they never recieved my swap, and when it did come back in the mail, it had been opened and some things were missing...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2012 :  2:00:15 PM  Show Profile
When I first signed up on this website, I was joining swaps left and right. I had so much fun making the swap items and putting the packages together. I always add tucks ins partially because I didn't want my swap partners to feel like they got the short end of the stick, but more so because I love doing it and it is fun for me. For me personally, I never expect anything more than what the swap was meant for. I understand not everyone can or wants to do add ins.

I've never had a pooper for a swap partner, but I have gotten things that weren't exactly my style....which is TOTALLY expected since we all have our own styles. I'm sure I've sent out plenty of things that weren't someone else's style as well....one thing I worry about.

I love sending out packages, but one thing that deters me is the cost of shipping!! It can get really pricey to buy the swap items, any add ins, and then pay for shipping! I always try to find a box that will fit my items perfectly so I won't have any extra box space to pay for. I've noticed the shipping stickers on some of the packages I've received and it almost makes me feel guilty for how much someone spent on sending me something!

I think between the difference of styles and the cost of shipping, I've decided to not do so many swaps. However, one thing I plan on doing more of are ATC swaps. They are small, fun, creative, and the package is small enough that you wouldn't feel guilty about not doing add ins. I've only done 2 ATC swaps (and had two wonderful partners - Connie and Jill Skane!!) but everyone seems like easy going swappers that won't leave you out in the cold.

If you are interested in doing swaps without the overwhelming feeling of giving enough, I suggest doing a smaller item swap like ATCs, cards, or dotee dolls....three very fun things to do that let you be creative that don't make you feel like you're going overboard.

Teri, so sorry you had that experience. The majority of the swap hostesses are really great. Don't let one dud keep you from joining in on the fun! :)

Emily
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2012 :  4:17:41 PM  Show Profile
I just did my first swap and it was a wonderful event for me. It makes me sad that things that happened to Tina could happen. Sorry you experienced that Tina. Hugs to you. You want to swap something?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2012 :  9:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Shanda~ Like the girls mentioned the tuck ins are just extras that are given from the heart. I don't believe there is a farmgirl on here that expects her partner to add a tuck in to the swap (unless it's included in the description of the swap and I honestly can't remember seeing a swap that made tuck ins mandatory). I would sometimes do tuck ins when I was doing swaps, but usually something very small like a tea bag. I focused most of my attention on the swap item itself.
After I got acquainted with the site and got to "know" some of the ladies here, I began with the swaps and barters. I did a number of different swaps until I joined a doll swap. We had an uneven number of partners so I took an extra partner and made two dolls. It was a little more than I wanted to take on, but I didn't want one of the ladies to be left out. Unfortunately, I got burnt on both dolls. :( I finished out the rest of my swaps and only participated in RAOK swap till we moved into our home and I wasn't able to devote what I felt was a sufficient amount of time to the swap. But I am tired of my crazy life getting in the way of what I love, so I'm trying to carve out a little farmgirl time each week and I will start participating in the swaps again. I will just be more careful about how much I take on. I'm thinking the secret to not feeling burnt in a bad swap is don't give more than you are willing to give away, to give with a cheerful heart. I know that's cliche and it won't take the sting out of bad swap entirely, but hey it's worth a try right?

Have fun with your swaps! Who knows maybe one day we will be swap partners. ;)

To the other ladies that have been burnt and left out of the loop... I am truly sorry you had a bad experience. Don't let some bad swappers keep you out of the game. Swaps are a ton of fun especially when you have a great partner and I hope you all will get to experience that thrill of receiving a package of beautiful farmgirl goodies.

CJ~ I hear there's gonna be another round of the RAOK starting up in November. Is this true? I sure hope so. I've missed it terribly.

Hugs to you all~ Melanie

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2012 :  05:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I agree with the others when they say they add in extra's simply because they want to and because it comes from their hearts. I love to do the swaps and I do tend to go overboard sometimes, but I am also lucky to be in a position right now that I can be generous. I have never felt bad when I received less than I sent. To me the swaps are about giving, not getting. I honestly don't care if I don't get anything back (that has happened a few times) I just hope that I make someone's day and that I hopefully put a smile in someone's heart if only for a few minutes of their life. I knit up comfort shawls to send out to someone in need of a hug and I have a had a few give aways for some of the clay things that I make and I certainly don't expect anything back from doing that. I've met so many wonderful farm girls and so many have become so dear to me. I feel so grateful to have found this site and if I can let someone know that they are being thought of, I will, and it honestly comes from the must important place that it should come from, my heart.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Oct 18 2012 06:01:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic To Swap or not to Swap??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page