Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 food chopper died-advice on new models?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic food chopper died-advice on new models? Next Topic  

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  03:43:39 AM  Show Profile
So I pureed a batch of peanutbutter and the blade on our food processor has finally bitten the dust. It's a Hamilton Beech year 2000 model that has a detachable rotary blade. I looked up replacemnent parts and this part is no longer being manufactured. Naturally

So what do y'all recommend as far as durability, value and price, and noise. This particular model was a bit on the noisy side. I could purchase Cuisinart from my chi-chi cooks mail order catalog. But I have a feeling it may be all name and no umph behind the product. So realistically, something in the 60.00-80.00 range is not been totally ruled out.

In the winter I use a food processor mostly for chopping cabbage for coleslaw. So it will get quite a bit of use seasonally.

As annoying as Rachael Ray is, I have noticed that the food processor she uses isn't all that loud. But it could be microphone placement too.

The blade probably would not have cracked had we not frozen bananas rock hard and tried to puree them a few years back. It worked, but it obvioulsy took its toll. And I probably should have just used the blender instead.

Thanks!

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2012 :  05:57:53 AM  Show Profile
I really love my Cuisinart, and it's from the mid 90's. The only thing I've had to "fix" on it was the cord--our beagle, Daisy Bad Seed, ate the cord right up to the back of the machine while it was sitting on the stainless storage shelf!

I use mine for a lot of soups and chopping nuts, zuchinni, etc. Mine is not "noisy" per se, and I'd bet the newer model is even more quiet. I also have the little cuisinart mini chopper which is great for pesto, stuff like that.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile
I have used the hand chopper from Pampered Chef for years, but I have replaced the clear plastic part about 3 times now (from it cracking). I either chop by hand now, or with a quick zap in my food processor (which is a Cuisinart).

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/

Edited by - FieldsofThyme on Sep 30 2012 09:51:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Kristina, I've had two of those Pampered Chef choppers in my little lifetime (one I bought and the other was given to me as a bridal shower gift) but I have to say, I don't at all like it--and I know lots of gals who do and I can't figure out why I'm not among them! For me, it was difficult to clean and all those darn parts, like the clear plastic thing you talk about, seemed flimsy. Instead of getting it out, I often just chopped by hand or for larger things, used by Cuisinart. I finally gave them both to Goodwill!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2012 :  1:39:03 PM  Show Profile
I have a Kitchenaid food processor that has held up pretty well, but the mini-chopper I had by them shorted out. My brother swears by his Cuisinart.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  1:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Nice to hear from the Cuisinart diehards. In the latest installment of my cook's mail order, naturally they feature a new 14 cup model with 4 rotary blades , a dough blade and a chopping blade. It comes with that hefty price, but looks really nice too. Maybe Amazon can do one better

I had thought about a PC hand chopper for those smaller tasks, but I can chop the small stuff faster than a kitchen gaget can be taken out of the drawer used and cleaned. And I would still need something for pureeing nut butters in large quantities.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2012 :  1:39:32 PM  Show Profile
That's the one I have, Anna--the 14 cup, 4 rotary blades, dough blade, chopping blade, etc...I do love it.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2012 :  04:01:40 AM  Show Profile
Great to know! Thank you
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic food chopper died-advice on new models? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page