Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Climbing, any suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Climbing, any suggestions? Next Topic  

shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  4:03:43 PM  Show Profile
My little 20m old daughter is very active, which is a good thing I guess. Right now she is continually trying to climb up on the chairs, stools, table and island. I spend so much time taking her down and telling her no no, I have even given her a swat on the butt. Nothing seems to make any difference, she still tries all day everyday, and I'm afraid she's going to get hurt. I try to be constistant as well. I know this is all probably normal toddler behavior, but does anyone have any ideas on managing it?

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2012 :  6:42:07 PM  Show Profile
we have the same problem with my 11 month old, pretty much we just have to keep him away from all that. At about 20 months though we couldn't take it any longer with DD2, so we decided to just help her learn to climb safely. And would practice with her, I have a lot of silblngs though and we would all wear ourselves out doing this over and over again round robbining it! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  12:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I just love your comments! Having had a climber ( well, they all were, but my second was the...best? worst?) I remember the choice to just end up teaching safety, and what was and wasn't climbable!Otherwise, 'Monkeychild' as we called her, would just climb anyway.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  10:58:36 AM  Show Profile
I have had all climbers. It is very tirin and stressful. I have found just givin in to it and helpin them as much as possible is the only way for me. I have made many trips to the er to check for concussions and get a few stitches, but they will climb no matter what in my experiance. I guess it is all a matter of safety and how much you are able to take from either side of the situation.

I was a climber as a child. Still am! I love a good tree!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2012 :  11:04:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi
I run physical activity classes for children aged 6 months to seven years and so spend most of each day teaching toddlers to climb!!!! But as the others say - to climb safely and most importantly to learn to get back down again safely - most accidents happen when trying to come down not when climbing up.

Our key tips are
1/ keep your child in bare feet as much as possible to enable them to learn to feel where their feet are going and to grip.
2/ Teach them to come down backwards - when at the top to turn round and come down facing what they have climbed not looking outwards - this is significantly safer
3/ When helping your child learn to climb or balance hold them by the back of their shirt - NOT THEIR ARMS - this enables the child to learn to balance for themselves and to climb whilst enabling you to hold them up if they fall.
4/ Offer as many different small opportunities to climb and balance whenever you can to enable them to gain skills in a simple way they can then use when climbing more challenging obstacles
5/ Do lots and lots of action rhymes and songs with them - espicially those that encourage the child to identify parts of their bodies - then they will understand instructions you may give them to help them get down and will have the body control to carry them out.
6/ If they insist on climbing something too dangerous - remove or secure the opportunity.
Overall remember - learning how to cope with bumps and bruises as a child is how an adult learns to cope with the bumps and bruises life will inevitably throw at them.

However my friend and I both put our children through the physical activity programme and my daughter is now a firefighter and her son is now a tree surgeon - sometime I think they just got too good and confident at climbing!!!!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

shelbyc
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

shannon
murdale british columbia
Canada
72 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  9:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for your ideas and support. It is stressfull at times,and tiring. I may just have to go with it and we can help teach her to climb up and down safely.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Climbing, any suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page