Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bee tree Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2012 :  8:42:27 PM  Show Profile
Last week they started cutting down the tulip tree in my backyard that is dying and in danger of falling on my neighbor's garage. They had to stop when they discovered bees in it. I guess it's about thirty feet up so I never knew they were there. I called someone who had an apiary but he said it would be very difficult to get them. So when they come back later this week (they had to order some bee suits) I'm going to ask them to save the section of the trunk where the bees are. I don't
know if the bees will stay around it as they may be very disoriented. He said he could get it on Sunday if the bees are still there. I hope there's lots of honey in it.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  06:30:39 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, I don't have an answer for you, but this reminds me of the last chapter of "Little House in the Big Woods" by Laura Ingalls Wilder. My daughter and I finished reading it together last week or so, and the Ingalls family was so happy because Pa had found a "bee tree". How cool if you did get some honey. Neat. Keep us posted.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  10:09:04 PM  Show Profile
The tree cutters came today and took down my tulip tree. I didn't even know they were coming till I heard machinery outside my window (on my days off I like to sleep late). So I threw on some clothes and went out to watch them work. They did a really good job. They got the truck in my backyard (I didn't think they'd be able to) and they used ropes to lower the branches and the trunk. The log with the hive is now laying in my backyard. I called a beekeeper who can come on sunday but I'd like to have the bees reemoved asap so I've contacted some other people. Still waiting to hear from them. The yard is fenced but I worry about someone getting too close. The bees were really upset when their hive was taken down. there's a lot of liquid gold in there. I'll probably dream about bees tonight-I keep imaging that I see bees swarming around my head. The tree cutters had to wear bee suits. they got stung but they said it wasn't too bad. Still I felt bad for them. When I wrote out the check I added a generous tip to it. They deserved it. I wish I could have given them more. When I get the honey out of it I'll give them a jar. I read there can be thirty pounds (or gallons, don't remember which) in a hive like that. I'd like to get a few jars for myself and some friends. The beekeeper can have the rest. They're quiet now and it's supposed to be rainy and cool tomorrow so I don't think they'll be too active. It's just I'm surrounded by houses and I don't want them to get riled up. So hopefully they'll hold tight till Sunday.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile
Bees are all gone. Two men came today and took the whole log. They're going to leave the bees in it over the winter. they said to take the honey this time of year would cause the bees to die as they need it for the winter. Hadn't thought of that. So hopefully there will be honey next spring. I miss my tulip tree. But it really was dying--most of one of the two trunks was hollow. And I miss my bees. The two gentlemen said they were good bees because they stayed calm (of course, they used smoke to calm them). Now I feel kind of sad. I don't know if it's just this time of year--autumn is my favorite season but it always brings a twinge of sadness. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? The birds are leaving and the leaves start falling and it starts getting cold--maybe that's the magic of autumn. It's filled with celebration and sadness.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Bee tree Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page