Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Rose rosette disease may kill all my roses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose rosette disease may kill all my roses Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  12:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Anybody ever heard of this fungal disease? I sure never did until this season. One of my large roses(been there for 5 or 6 years) suddenly started putting out weird canes looking like what are called 'witches brooms'. Really twisted and red and just alien looking. When I looked it up, I found it's called 'Rose rosette disease and there is no cure!. It is carried by mites and apparently, the wild roses that grow out in the fields are infecting everything else. I have tons of Knockout roses. They are all hybridized and several have put out these diseased canes. Now I'm supposed to yank them all out(and look at nothing again) and not plant a rose for two years.. If you have wild rose bushes, check them and if you see evidence of this, dig them out and burn them. If you bury them, the mites have a chance to travel.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2012 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I'm so sorry to hear this. Your beautiful roses. Years ago, one of my sisters had a disease on her rose bushes, and she had to dig them all up and burn them. She is in Heaven now, so I can't ask her what the problem was. I know she was very upset. Hugs to you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2012 :  6:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Janice, I'm so sorry. And there's nothing you can do? I don't like rose bushes but like roses ok. My mom has a lot of rose bushes and the knock out roses too. She would be devastated if she had to pull all hers out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  05:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Nope, Kris. There's no cure at all. I guess I'll just watch them for more outbreaks(seen it on three I planted so far, but only once and I cut out all that). I'm going to try to start more bushes for next spring(from anything that's healthy). Maybe I should just treat them as biennials and keep starting and planting each year and pulling up what's diseased. Sounds like a lot of work. :(. Meanwhile, we'll be uprooting/burning wild roses this weekend.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2012 :  6:26:20 PM  Show Profile
Be careful out there in the wild rose bushes. Those things are evil and have a mind of their own! I cna't walk by one without it grabbing me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  02:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh, what a shame. I am so sad for you. I know it would be a big deal to me if I lost my roses. And had to wait two years. Wow.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose rosette disease may kill all my roses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page