Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Very Disappointed (but getting over it fast)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Very Disappointed (but getting over it fast) Next Topic
Page: of 3

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  09:59:45 AM  Show Profile
This morning I went to market. I did not have a whole lot, just some bell peppers, sweet banana and hot peppers, green beans and some kale. I worked all day yesterday (I am a caretaker on Fridays) and came home and picked and mowed. Then loaded the car. Got up at 6 am and fed animals in the dark with a flashlight. They weren't even up then. Left the house at 6:58. Got to market at 7:25. Set up. Waited for the open horn. People came in I was the only vender on the one side next to the corner. The lady beside me was selling plants. Not many people want plants right now. All the other people on the opposite side had tomatoes and squash ans peas and such.

So people came by and looked. And they'd talk. But didn't buy anything from me. I also sell soap and had that there. They'd pick up some soap and smell it. So about 8:50 I started packing up. I am not going to pay $5.00 for nothing.

The people that sell at this market practically give stuff away. Most of them are older people with nothing else to do but garden and sit at market. They might as well save the gas and put out a sign in front of their house and give it away. I mean, $2.00 for a big basket of pretty squash, $3.00 for a huge basket of huge tomatoes and $5.00 for a bigger basket. $2.00 for a basket of peas. Really??

I am not doing this as a hobby. I am not a retired teacher or factory worker drawing SS or retirement money. THIS IS MY JOB! I am not doing this as a hobby. I am doing this to make money. This is what I do now. I cannot afford to drive 25 miles one way to just sit in the sun and talk to people about the high price of a tomato. I like talking to people. Really, I do. But please buy something from me too. Wed. I made $12.00 from soap. I lost money because it costs $5 every time I set up there. Plus 50 miles round trip. I lost money big time this week. Not good at all.

I guess I am just frustrated and really need to rethink what I am going to do. I do believe that this particular market is not for me anymore. I need to make money and there are other markets in Chattanooga where people are actually making money selling produce. That's where I need to be.

Sorry for the rant here. But I need to holler and scream right now! My garden is growing lots more veggies and I need to figure out what I should do. I know next year I will be doing a CSA for sure. And getting my application in early for the Main St. market in Chatt. I hope I can go there.

Thanks for listening. And any suggestions or advice would be great.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 06 2012 6:08:31 PM

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  10:06:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris,
So sorry to hear that, and I don't consider it a rant ... just speaking the truth! Your right, this is not their job ... it is their hobby, you can't blame them, people are always going to buy the cheapest no matter what. To the retired people, it is a little coin in their pocket for doing something they are gonna do any way ...
So pack up, rethink, remarket yourself and make money. As for your soap, use your blog to sell items. Everyone does. But, your right this is YOUR JOB, so treat it like it is! It's your business, come up with a business paln and go for it.
Good luck.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com

Edited by - kysheeplady on Sep 01 2012 10:10:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  1:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Kris, rant all you want, it will make you feel better. Maybe you should put a sign in your yard advertising your vegetables and soap for sell. I'm sure you'll think up something. Good luck.
Hope you are feeling better. I do understand your dilemma. Hugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  2:33:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey Marly. You're ok! Are you back home? Was it as bad as they thought it would be? Can you tell I don't watch the news? I'm glad you're back and ok. Good to see you here.

I would love to do a spread sheet on the cost of one tomato or green bean and show it to people who shop at Walmart them go to the market and complain about the prices there. I do know there is a lot of time, sweat, hard work, money and love that goes into that tomato. I don't know right now how much I have spent on the garden this year, but I am in the red right now. I would love to make a profit, but there is none. When I do make money, it goes right back in to this farm. I have bills to pay and hay to pay for and a big feed store bill every month. Animals ain't cheap these days. Nither are seeds. I went to the feed store and bough 4 oz. of turnip green seeds @ $1.50 an oz. That doesn't go very far. I have 50 meat chickens that are pigs instead. They sure eat like a pig! Their feed is $18 for 50 lbs. I will not make any money on them either, it looks like. I don't know about all this farming business anymore. And I am tired right now. And worried. Bit it will all work out somehow. It always does.

Thanks for your feedback. I will be doing a lot of thinking about this. I did put a few pictures of my soap on FB but not a single bite there. I have been selling a lot of marinated goat milk feta cheese. I sell a 1/2 pint for $8. I can get about 5 jars from one gallon of milk and I sell one gallon for $6. I like making cheese. And there is a small profit there. Not much in milk with the high cost of feed right now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2012 :  3:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris, keep your chin up. I am sure things will work out well in the end. Is there any small family restaurants that maybe will buy from you? I wish you luck. I know it is hard to make money on anything these days. Times are tough all around.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  08:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris,
Sorry that things are not going well. I know how hard you work!Janet had a good idea- have you every considered trying to market your veggies and meat birds and milk etc to local restaurants? I dont know what the answer is, but I can totally understand your frustration. Sounds like trying to get in on the Chatt. market may be a start of a better plan. CSA sounds like another viable option.
Keep your wheels spinning- the answer is there for you and I have no doubt that you will find it!
YOU GO GIRL!!!!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

I am so sorry you had such a hard time, and you have every right to be upset. Doing what you do for a living is very challenging and many don't appreciate it. I take my girls to farmer's markets as much as I can when they are in season, rather than go to any chain store for produce. We also grow as much as we can, too. I did notice this year that there seemed to be a lots less people than usual at the farmer's markets and it made me feel sad for the growers that I know do this as their living, not a hobby.

I think your idea of doing a CSA and changing markets is sound business sense, and will open up new doors for you.

I'll be praying that things get better - hang in there!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  6:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your support. Janet, laws in Ga. and Tn. are very tough when it comes to food. A friend went to Earthfare to see about selling produce to them and they said all their food has to go through their plant in Kentucky to be washed and bagged. And I asked a friend who owns a little Italian rest. about buying lettuce and salad stuff from me. She said she would love to but her inspector would close them down if they did. I could get certified and all that paperwork and all could take years. And LOTS of money.

I am getting ready to send emails to all my friends who have been buying from me to see if they would want to do the CSA for fall. I also emailed a friend who goes to both the markets I mentioned and she gave me the # for the manager. SHe also said the manager for one of the markets will be at her farm tomorrow so I'll go talk to him there.

So there are several possibilities for me. I just need to get busy! I do believe I will see a big difference in customers at these other 2 places.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  7:53:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kristin, I am so sorry that this has happened. I have been keeping up with your post on your garden. You have been working so hard. I hope you see more customers at these other places. But you have a good attitude about it. You are so right you have to keep busy. My husband and I have been in business for 30 years now. We have seen good times and bad times. But we never threw in the towel during the bad times we just worked harder. We are in the Sewage business. Even when the economy took a dump we stuck through it. We sat down and put our heads together. While everyone else was throwing in the towel we struggled forward. We took a chance and bought out another company that was going under. It actually opened up more doors for us. Then we went to one of the top major companies in the sewage and plumbing business. (ROTO ROOTER). We sat up an appointment with the Big Boss. I just new they were going to kick us out on our rear ends. But they did not because we found out they were also in financial ruins from the
recession. So they listened to our plan. We joined forces with them and now we install all their drainfields in our county plus a few more surrounding counties for them. Here the past year they have now started throwing some of their pump outs our way. We feel very blessed and are very thankful. It seemed like the harder we worked the more favors God threw our way. So I believe persistance and hard work pays off. I am so proud of you.....

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2012 :  8:10:35 PM  Show Profile
I understand your feelings. I did a farmer's market in Ohio, cost was Free, but it didn't pay minimum wage for me to go there. Just the market alone, time to pick, wash and prepare the veggies, load my car up, unpack at the market, set up my display, (not to mention the cost of the tables and canopies) stay for four hours, then tear down the display, pack my car, and go home - I usually made about $50- $100 for an 8-hour day. That doesn't consider the cost of seed, planting, weeding, etc.

I enjoyed doing it and talking to people (neighbors and people I knew from work) so I kept it up. But I also had full-time employment elsewhere! When that went away, I transferred to another job, and found in my new location there are a lot of "farm markets" (as opposed to Farmer's markets) So because I am not visiting with friends and neighbors (only strangers) in my new location I have no incentive to sell produce.

I have decided to concentrate on demonstrating hand-spinning and yarn. This is my passion. Back in Richard Nixon's administration the USDA advised farmers to 'get big or get out'. I'm not sure anything has changed in the USDA yet. I can't compete. Maybe if I was full-time, but I can't afford that right now.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I know that's frustrating and you have every right to "rant." I would much rather buy fresh organic vegetables directly from the person who raised them instead of from a grocery store. The problem is many people are ignorant when it comes to knowing or caring about how much goes into growing produce so they complain about the prices. I don't know how those people at your market can sell their veggies at such low prices and agree with you that they should just sit up a stand outside their home. On the other side, we have a neighbor who travels great distances to buy fruit and veggies at a discount, then he sits up a stand on his property, selling "his" homegrown produce. People flock to his stand, unknowingly purchasing produce that has been around the block and back with marked up prices to boot. I guess they are suckered in by his straw hat and bibbed overalls!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2012 :  1:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Dorinda, I am so glad things worked out for you. You are right, we should never give up. This is what I want to do. I will not quit. I'll just find other ways. Maybe this is just a way for me to be more creative and get out there. Thanks!

Brenda, I did one day add up all my expenses, including time and gas, and for the 3 hours I was AT the market and the hours before the market, I made like .50 an hour. Very sad. But I do love it. And I still have my wool sitting here in 3 bags that I have got to get washed and ready to spin. I have got to do this. Because we will need to shear again soon.

Karen, I know there are a lot of people who buy from others and sell it higher. We are not supposed to do that at this particular market. Only what we grow can we sell there.

I talked to the guy today who runs the Branerd market and he said since I had set up at the Alton Park market a few times, that I should be able to go ahead and come to this one. He's going to send me an app to fill out though. So I will start next Saturday!! It's from 10-12. And they have a really good busy area they are in. And there are not a whole lot of venders with produce right now. There are mostly people with soaps and breads and canned goods. So I hope to sell a lot there. And the Main St market only takes apps in the spring. And they are very particular. I hope I pass. That's a really good market.

So things are looking up at the moment. And we have had some good rain. My garden is VERY happy right now! Me too. Things will be taking like like crazy and I should have plenty to bring next week.

Thanks for all the great comments y'all. I know when I come here I will get positive feedback and help. Y'all are great!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  1:21:00 PM  Show Profile
Kris,

It sounds like your mood has picked up and you have some great ideas and possibilities. You deserve to profit fairly from all your hard work and I hope it happens for you soon!

Don't give up!

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  1:37:24 PM  Show Profile
I am praying that your sales will increase! I think it is a common thing at markets. I have even found myself talking with folks and then not buying from them. I always feel bad about it. If I could I would buy everyone out!! Keep up your work. And God will prosper you!

Farmgirl #31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
I loved talking to the people who came to the market. I have met some really great people. Got some milk and cheese customers there. And I understand that they may not need what I have to sell and others do. I am fine with that. it's the very cheap pricing that gets me. I talked to a freind who is on the board and I told him I would not be going back there and told him why. He said he's been thinking alot about that as well. And he said they are going to have to address that at the next meeting. So there might be more changes going on there. I hope so. It has really not been doing so well this year. Lots of venders have quit coming because of some silly rule or someone said something. So things need to change for the better there. But in the meantime, I will be going elsewhere.

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. I need them!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2012 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever considered renting out your goats? Seriously. People will pay money to get goats to eat their unwanted weeds. They do it around here. If no one else in your area is doing it, you should make a profit. I often wonder how much of a profit people make at our farmer's market. Which is going on this evening, as well as on Saturday mornings. Gotta run...
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile
I get to go to the Brainerd market THIS Saturday!!! I am very excited and nervous. I hope I have enough and that people will buy from me. I will have kombucha scoby too. And soap. I hope they let me sell soap because there are a few other who do. I will have 4 kinds of radishes, turnip greens, baby kale, bell and banana peppers and hot peppers and maybe some squash. I'm so excited! Wish me luck. I'll need it for sure. This market is only 2 hours, from 10-12. That make sit alot easier for me with having to feed animals and milk the goats. I did that last week in the dark. Not fun. So here I go!

Cindy, I have seen some people around here who have whole herds of goats they rent out. We have a horrible kudzu problem here and they have been placed in these kudzu jungles. There have been a few incidents though where dogs have gotten in and killed some so they started putting donkeys in with the goats. I would not want to take my goats somewhere and leave them unprotected. These are my babies and I could not risk that. But it is a good idea if they had more protection.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  6:07:26 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
Good luck on Saturday! I hope you sell everything you bring!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  6:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Wishing you the best of luck Saturday!!!!! Hope it works out very well for you.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2012 :  8:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Kris- Good luck to you on Saturday-may you sell everything and maybe even take some orders for more too!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  06:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good luck to you this Saturday, Kris. And I sure wish I could find goats to rent. I've even got a nice fenced in area near my house that needs 'eating'. It was built for my dogs, but is currently 'owned' by poison ivy. Do you sell your soap or any other products online or by mail?
'

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all! I really appreciate you guys.

Janice, I would love to let you keep my 2 does up there if I can't sell them. I would love to see your beautiful farm in person. I love your blog and go there often just to dream of what a real pretty farm is like. Your animals all look so healthy and happy. And yes, I do sell soap on line. It's $4 a bar or 3 for $10 plus shipping which wouldn't be much for you. Let me know if you want any and I'll email you with what all I have right now.

Thanks again y'all. I am getting nervous but I'll be fine I'm sure. I am trying to sell these Freedom Ranger meat chickens but there are people there who sell meat on site. They take their birds somewhere in Kentucky to a processing place that's USDA inspected. I have to do my own so can only sell from here. But I can take orders though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  06:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Kris,

Keeping my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that I possibly can to wish you all the luck in the world on Saturday. I hope you have a wonderful day and sell out quickly!!

big hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Sent you an email, Kris.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  08:08:01 AM  Show Profile
Good luck, Kris. Let us know how it goes. I'll say some prayers for you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2012 :  1:29:14 PM  Show Profile
http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ffacebook.us4.list-manage1.com%2Ftrack%2Fclick%3Fu%3D96502700b449226b4337f969f%26id%3Dabd831a694%26e%3De2b1d26122&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEPDFqHTGMEYRzkaqoEG2vGiD4PGA

If you click on this link it takes you to the Brainerd Mkt. FB page. Go to what's at the market for 9-8 and you'll see my Outback Farm spot! How cool is that?! You can also see that there are not alot of produce venders right now because they are in between summer and fall crops. My friends from the Pocket farm won't be there or Circle S. So I hope to do pretty good tomorrow. It's so hot out and everything looks all wilted right now. I am waiting til this evening to pick then I'll put most of it in the fridge outside.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Sep 07 2012 1:33:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Very Disappointed (but getting over it fast) Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page