JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  4:34:00 PM  Show Profile
i am planning on making a halloween carecter for this yrs. halloween,as i usually do, i use raked up leaves. has anyone made one out of those befor? like to have some ideas. on making it different this yr. can't get access to straw, or i would try it. all kinds of hay around here though, lol! for the cows! jo~

love is all you need

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  06:55:23 AM  Show Profile
I have never done anything with leaves. My Halloween dummy usually consists of DH's old jeans and workshirt. I tie off the legs at the ankle and stuff the pants with newspapers. Tie the shirt off at the wrists and shirt tails and also stuff with papers. Bend the pants to sit in our porch chair, shove the shirt into the pants. Put the ankle end of the pants in his workboots, tie gloves the the shirt sleeves (shoving the tied off wrists inside the gloves) and add a "jack-o-lantern" to the lap for his head. Sometimes he is standing too, with his foot on the pumpkin head.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Sep 29 2006 06:56:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile
ha ha!! i did that one time, only with the leaves. the pumpkin for the head i mean. well i am anxious to get one made too, so i may try the news papers. i would have to keep it inside though eh? out of the rain. thanks for the tip though! jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
I did one one year on the front porch without a head and then had a head (painted on a medium size pumpkin) under his arm. That turned out cute..just overalls and an old flannel shirt stuffed with hay (I made a crude wire armature for it) and boots and gloves tied on with raffia around the ankles and wrists. I put a John Deere cap on the pumpkin head. It was a big hit. I had him sitting on a bench

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  2:54:33 PM  Show Profile
jenny, that is a great idea. one yr. i put a pumpkin out in my porch! and i pinned(with straight pins) cherry toms. for eyes, green peppers for ears. amd the beans were it's mouth, and a carrott for it's nose it was awsome u girls should try it! i always loved halloween, where i am alone this yr. i may have a halloween party with a small group of friends, at this old farm house,this old farm house can be decorated up pretty spookie tee hee!!!! it would be fun later jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  2:57:58 PM  Show Profile
also girls, i forgot to mention, i had a pumpkin dug out one yr and had a halloween party, and used it as a punch bowel it was a big hit too, also i filled rubber gloves with water, and froze them and floated them in the pumpkin punch bowl, try it this yr. if u r having a party! it was a blast! just wanted to share that with ya all!!!! jo~~~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  3:46:21 PM  Show Profile
I do have one store bought thing - Marcus the Carcus. I just love him. He is a head, feet and hands, that glow in the dark. You spread them out like he is on his back and then take leaves and make a big pile in the middle like he is coming out of the ground. Kids love him.

anne

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  06:42:31 AM  Show Profile
anne, that sound cool too, i bet the grandkids here would love that, i don't know if i ever saw one in nova scotia, i have seen some people put rubber boots coming out of the round bails of hey! lol! looks like someone is in it head first, i also like the little witches that look like they are crashed into a tree? ever see those.? jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  09:23:41 AM  Show Profile
The witches in the tree thing is great I just wish I had a big tree in the front to do that. All of our trees line the driveway and are kinda hidden. The other thing that is cool to do, we did it when we were kids, is make a Jack-o-Lantern totem pole. You use an old broom handle. You carve your pumpkins, best to use large to small, with the largest on the bottom. Then you cut a small hole in the top and bottom of each pumpkin (Kinda at the back)lining up the holes vertically so that the broom handle will fit through all of them and into the ground for stability. It is kinda tricky but cool when done.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2006 :  05:11:55 AM  Show Profile
didn't get my halloween dummy made yet girls, but thinking of it this afternoon, having thanksgiving at my sister's house! sooo good thing to do after dinner, what a beautifull fall day here today, good day to hang out clothes, think i'll change my sheets, have a good day ya'll love from jo!

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2006 :  06:41:06 AM  Show Profile
well girls, got my halloween dummy made, he has bib overalls on and a green corduroy shirt, stuffed with leaves, he is big lol! i just put a pumpking head on top, and a funny hat from the dollar store, i also got a skelleton with a black dress on, and a grey wig. she looks a bit thin, ha ha! but it turned out cute. i make fudge every yr. and i only get a few kids, i would love to be able to get at least a few more~ two of those kids are my grandkids. but, some people have sooo many on halloween, i wouldn't want as many as some. but i do love halloween and i love to see the little ones coming.i'll have two extra though this yr. my niece moved here from iowa so i will have hers! which is good, my son and his wife are going to have another baby! bruce and natasha! they have a 5 yr. old boy now just started school.. this will make 4 grandkids for me. jo!~~

i thought love was all you needed? courage is needed too!
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic halloween homemade dummies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page