Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 OCTOBER ... right around the corner
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic OCTOBER ... right around the corner Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  8:01:57 PM  Show Profile
what is on your OCTOBER 'calendar'?

honey hunk and i are going to a Perryville Civil War Re-enactment early October .. have three live 'plays' to attend .. one is in our own little town ... called: Lincoln's OTHER Mary. Written and played by local friends. (Abraham Lincoln was in love with and proposed to Mary Owens of Green County, Kentucky before meeting Mary Todd. Quite a story to it!

We're going to do some camping in this glorious weather and also get together with my childhood best friend and her husband in the North Carolina Mountains for a few days.

Hope to have some 'cookouts' in the firepits with friends during this glorious weather.

We'll make another run up to Toledo at Halloween (daughter Wednesday's birthday).

I'm sure we'll keep adding fun things as the days go by.

what ya'll up to during this beautiful month of October?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  8:23:56 PM  Show Profile
Are you ready for this?

Oct. 1 - Twin Cities Marathon - not running, cheering brother on!
Oct. 7 - baby shower and open house to celebrate friends' new monkey bars in their basement
Oct. 8 - Block BBQ, bonfire and TV football outside on the front lawns (something about a Vikings game??)
Oct. 10 - Urban Farmgirls monthly gathering: Needle Felting Pumpkins
Oct. 14/15 - ONE free weekend this month...will cherish it and maybe hit an apple orchard with the family!
Oct. 19-24 - visiting sister and soon-to-be-new-niece Gigi (due Oct. 10) in Florida with my son and mom
Oct. 23 - my nephew's due date! (travel not necessary, they're in town)
Oct. 28 - Urban Farmgirls hayride and pumpkin patch adventure
Oct. 29 - Neighborhood Babysitting Co-op Halloween Party
Oct. 31 - JACKSON'S FIRST HALLOWEEN! Carving pumpkins, roasting seeds, passing out candy, perhaps a big of "tricks or treats" with Jack even though he can't eat candy yet...we have to show off the adorable froggie costume as much as possible!!

I know I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff in there, but that's the gist of it. I have no idea how life gets so full, but we're crazy excited for all of these fun things. October is so fun around here - we love fall!

And a sneak peak of November has a "Foods from the Lewis & Clark Expedition" cooking class on the 1st of the month - a surprise birthday date for my hubby. He's a history nerd and will LOVE it!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  9:47:21 PM  Show Profile
Oct. is a busy month here. We will have company for the first eek....I will have 8 year old neice (my sister's only child) visiting tomorrow through Oct. 5th, October 4th is "walk your child to school day" which I will do (3 kids and an extra!) to the elementary school and then help serve banana bread and juice to all the kids and parents who actually walk to school...alot last year! (I am on the PTA board) it is a fun thing. Also that night is a "Young Women in Excellence" night at church where oldest daughter will play the piano. 6 birthdays (3 in our imediate family) of relatives here in town, soccer games every Tuesday and Thursday, Cubscouts here every Thursday afternoon, Weds. night youth from church (I am a leader) planning class party for youngest daughter's 4th grade class (I am room mom) reading at story hour at the library on the 3rd Thursday in the morning, hmmmmm oh..making Halloween costumes..a big one here we love halloween. Our town has a big Trunk or treat at the park..there must be 200 or 300 cars parked around the perimeter of the park (maybe more) and they decorate their trunks (everyone parks with the trunks in toward the park) and all the kids go around the edge of the park (a block) and get treats from each car..such a fun thing..and a time saver for sure!! We get a few trick or treaters at home too, but not many. Our town has a big halloween parade too..the kids come home from school for lunch on Halloweeen and change into their costumes, head back to school and there is a parade all through the school and then on to main street and a loop back to the school...everyone comes out to watch..the kids feel famous!! Then the halloweeen parties at school. It is a fun and very exhausting day!! I know I am forgetting stuff..but this is the regular stuff.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Sep 27 2006 11:05:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2006 :  10:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Lots of time spent teaching knitting on the looms, lots of time spent working on this year's xmas gifts, a bunch of time at the Texas State Fair, and if there's time in between, I'd like to visit our property some.

Until we get the house sold though, we can't do much with the new property, but that's not keeping us from visiting, planning and dreaming...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  05:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Sister from Michigan is coming in the first weekend -- we're going to a Country Living magazine event at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Should be fun -- quilting, basketmaking, soapmaking demonstrations, fall foods, etc. etc. The CBG is so beautiful in the autumn.

Same weekend: our niece is getting married on Sunday afternoon! This is quite the event -- first grandchild getting married on my husband's side of the family (only 3 grandchildren -- we have one son and my husband's brother has two girls) -- and Grandma and Grandpa are 88 and 91 years old!! We are looking forward to a wonderful celebration for Karen and Paul.

Work continues -- I'm designing/we're installing several gardens in October. One of my favorites is right on Lake Michigan -- we're doing perennial gardens on the broad parkway overlooking the park and the lake. Drifts of ornamental grasses, roses, iris, salvia, beebalm, anemone, asters. Underplanted with bulbs: allium (my favorite!), crocus, daffodils, cammasia.

Then comes Halloween -- we get about 4 kids trick-or-treating -- we're on a deadend street with no streetlights so it's a long walk for little return and a little spooky -- so my husband eats all the mini-candy bars. I decorate for harvest more than for halloween -- but first need to repaint all the facia and soffits on the house now that the new roof is on.

Whew!

I'd like to have a schedule like Catherine's -- look at all that fun! And Aunt Jenny -- I love all the school and neighborhood stuff you have going on. Erin -- I was puzzled about the State Fair until I realized Texas is too hot in August for the fair, so it's in Sept/Oct, right? I checked out your craft journal -- you are one busy gal!

Enjoy October, everybody.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  06:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Let's see- On the 6th and 7th I am heading to Columbia, SC for Time Out for Women with two friends, yard sale-ing our way out along I-20!!
Then the next weekend it's off to Helen for the annual Smith-Owen Family trip! (This will be Cameron Owen's last year for a while as he is leaving to serve a mission in Portugal in December.)
Then it's Mammoth Yard Sale weekend at Cilla's (Owen) house the 20th and 21st. I have been collecting things all year for this!! It will be huge! (As the name implies!)
Then, it's off to Newport, KY the next weekend to see my sister. PHEW!!
Movie night on the back porch is planned for family home evenings on Mondays. Nothing like cool nights, hot buttered popcorn and a cozy quilt for movie watching!!
In between, we are still coordinating a service project for church and will be putting together a cookbook to give as Christmas gifts to the moms of children serviced by the Georgia Parent Support Network (which helps children who have mental illness find and receive quality care)which will go into a very cute tote bag!! We've made 300 of them!
On Halloween, it's Trunk-or-Treat at church where we will have a chili cook-off and a trunk decorating contest before the children come for a treat!! (I have something really scary planned for my van this year!!) Yikes!
Oh, and breathing every now and then.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  06:41:05 AM  Show Profile
You all have such exciting and interesting lives....I have no one here to go to festivals with...don't like to venture out myself just yet....DH fishes every single Saturday and "has" to rest on Sunday.....I need to find a partner to hit some of the apple festivals,yard sales and what ever else.....

margie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  06:59:04 AM  Show Profile
wowzer .. autumn is always a busy season (but then ... aren't they all!) great weather for adventures! margie .. i moved from maryland ... you can too .. come on to kentucky .. we'll roam the backroads.

it's probably too far for you to venture .. but i have lotsa' gurlfrenz in the annapolis area you could pal around with! if it's not too far for you .. e-mail me and i'll send you some names! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  08:50:40 AM  Show Profile
Finally will have a full week of vacation next week - will be a) replacing shed roof, window and fixing door; b) winterizing chicken coop; enlarging chicken run so young chickens can be introduced into the flock (and I won't have to keep toting them to their little tractor); c) replacing spoke on laundry tree; d) mouseproofing under cabinets; e) doing hopefully the last lawn mowing; f) painting my front deck; g) digging up new flower beds and planting bulbs; h) ditto for my garlic and rhubarb; i) trying to have a day off for myself! Whew! And that's just my vacation!!!!! ;o)

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  10:09:17 AM  Show Profile
My farmgirl friends and I will be having "Pumkin Fest". We'll all meet at the u-pick farm on the 14th and take the hayride out to pick our pumpkins, gourds, indian corn, etc. Then we'll meet back at my house for chili, pumpkin desserts, cider, etc. and carve our pumpkins. The menfolk are invited too, but they'll probably watch football or something. Just want to have a nice old timey fun day.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Redhen
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Moe
Illinois
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2006 :  07:58:31 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Margie. Wish I lived close! My DH goes fishing every weekend too. I go to an annual historic House Tour at a nearby town held every October and have gone by myself for 6 years.That is my plan for the month, other than my DH has a birthday on the 3rd and our anniversary is the 30th. We'll be married 30 years...eek.He'll probably wanna go fishing to celebrate!

....I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore.The Wizard of Oz
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic OCTOBER ... right around the corner Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page