Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic healing and horses Next Topic  

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile
I know there have been many stories about how lives have been healed emotionally or perhaps physically because of the involvement with a special horse. Has this ever been your situation? Or perhaps you've helped the healing process for a horse. Want to share?

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  3:56:13 PM  Show Profile
I have read many stories about that. I love those stories. I've never been in that situation with a horse. I'll be anxious to read others' stories.
Good topic.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  5:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I can highly recommend 3 books for you, "Chosen by a Horse" by Susan Richards, "Angel Horses" by Allen & Linda Anderson, "Bridge Called Hope" by Kim Meeder, wonderful true stories of healing with the help of horses...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  7:22:26 PM  Show Profile
Ugh if you read Chosen by a Horse, make sure you have some tissues. I bawled through half the book!

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
Skunk Creek Ranch
Bear Paw Equine Photography
Kansas Happy Homemaker Blog
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  7:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Basically we approach the world like we approach a horse. They mirror and they are honest. They help us gain confidence. Especially for young girls. If a young girl can control a 1000 lb animal successfully then they don't need a boy to tell them what they are about. It keeps them busy too. My daughter has mild CP and her neuroligist told me we had no need of physical therapy that horseback riding and wearing boots cause they square up her heal was the best thing we could do for her. A horse's gait is comparable to ours and the best therapy horses are the ones that match up perfectly by stepping in their front hoof print with their back hoof. Caring for them teaches compassion and responsibility. I have been teaching people to ride all of my life and there is nothing like when the student rides that first trot or canter. It all comes together then, and nothing I do except help them get started. It's between them and the horse. Some of the best people I know are horses. It's sad though that many careless people give people bad experiences with horses. I see it over and over again. Somebody put on an unbroke horse when they were a child and got dumped and they never ride again, or somebody takes them out on some sort of wild ride. Sad. My horses have fixed that problem for so many people. Such a joy to me. I think that we lost something when we invented cars. The horse human relationship in my opinion is God given.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com

Edited by - crittergranny on Aug 20 2012 7:49:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  8:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I've just downloaded Chosen by a Horse to my e-reader. Can't wait.
quote:
Originally posted by KansasFarmMomma

Ugh if you read Chosen by a Horse, make sure you have some tissues. I bawled through half the book!

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
Skunk Creek Ranch
Bear Paw Equine Photography
Kansas Happy Homemaker Blog

Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  8:36:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by crittergranny

Basically we approach the world like we approach a horse. They mirror and they are honest. They help us gain confidence. Especially for young girls. If a young girl can control a 1000 lb animal successfully then they don't need a boy to tell them what they are about. It keeps them busy too. My daughter has mild CP and her neuroligist told me we had no need of physical therapy that horseback riding and wearing boots cause they square up her heal was the best thing we could do for her. A horse's gait is comparable to ours and the best therapy horses are the ones that match up perfectly by stepping in their front hoof print with their back hoof. Caring for them teaches compassion and responsibility. I have been teaching people to ride all of my life and there is nothing like when the student rides that first trot or canter. It all comes together then, and nothing I do except help them get started. It's between them and the horse. Some of the best people I know are horses. It's sad though that many careless people give people bad experiences with horses. I see it over and over again. Somebody put on an unbroke horse when they were a child and got dumped and they never ride again, or somebody takes them out on some sort of wild ride. Sad. My horses have fixed that problem for so many people. Such a joy to me. I think that we lost something when we invented cars. The horse human relationship in my opinion is God given.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com

Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  8:57:10 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about that. I lost my message somehow.
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  9:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Laura for all your wisdom of late. Smokey (rescued Arabian with broke back) will arrive the first of Oct. I'll remember your insightful wisdom. Jan
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  07:30:39 AM  Show Profile
This will be the first time I have ever put this out for many to see. Seven years ago an ice storm caused a tree to fall on the fence, spooking my daughters two horses. This occured late at night. Both ran 1/2 mile down our drive onto the highway. The only thing good about that entire night was no person was hurt. Both horses were killed by seperate cars. We were woke up at midnite by the police informing us of what had occured. My daughter was 15 at the time and this hit her very hard, she would not talk for weeks, missed alot of school. I could see her slipping. Then without looking I found Chigger, an over used, not much to look at, leave him alone horse. Still not sure why but I brought him home. My daughter only rode him once, but spent hours and hours walking the fields with him, talking and even singing( she never sang, even now she does not sing), brushing him, even reading to him. He helped her heal in ways no amount of professional therapy could have. I saw a change in Chigger also, she was the only one he would let walk up to him, the rest of us had to chase him to catch him. When we moved we gave him to a family with children and lots of love to give. My daughter has rarely talked about that night, but I know in her own way she is doing ok only because of Chigger, who may not have liked me but I hold a special place in my heart for him and what he did.
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  6:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh Karla,
Thank you for sharing your heart! This confirms why I am taking a rescue, who certainly wouldn't be anyone's first choice. I know there is a reason, not just for Smokey's need, but for my own. May God richly bless you for being such a sensitive Mom. Jan
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  9:38:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jan, If Smokey had a broke back that healed ok maybe he could pull a little wagon or sleigh someday. But if not I'm sure he will be a blessing to your family. I just say that cause it might someday be a way for you all to have fun together. Not that you won't have fun anyway. There is an old English saying "Show me your horses and I will tell you who you are". I'm sure he will reflect your love and mercy and care. Which will shine on you also.
Laura

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  6:11:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Laura. You are so encouraging. I'd love to watch you work with your horses. You are so caring. jan
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic healing and horses Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page