beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  08:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone but me seem to get an upset stomach about an hour or so after taking this? I take 1 tsp. with supper every night, and about an hour later I have a crampy, queasy stomach. My eye doctor recommended it. I tried the capsules, but had a hard time swallowing them because they are so big, so I switched to the liquid.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have to eat something when I take the fish oil. Sometimes even then my stomach gets a bit upset. When I first started taking fish oil, I got some that did not do that. On the bottle, it stated that it was coated with something so stomach upset wouldn't be an issue. I've looked for the same bottle again, to no avail.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

pennyhenny
True Blue Farmgirl

304 Posts

Missy
Dayton OH
USA
304 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  10:07:15 AM  Show Profile
I take it every morning with my oatmeal and so far knock on wood I have had no side effects. I did however cut down from the 1000mg to 440 mg as it seemed to agree with me more. The 1000mg gave me a burping side effect even with food. Maybe you need to build up your tolerance?

hugs,
-missy-

http://citychickblogging.blogspot.com/

Sisterhood Member#4003

Happiness held is the seed; Happiness shared is the flower.
John Harrigan
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  10:17:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Missy....The dosage on the brand that I take I thought was waaaaaay too much. So instead I only take 1, 1,000 mg gel capsule of Spring Valley Fish Oil every evening before I go to bed. I have had NO side effects.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  11:54:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies - maybe I'll try taking 1/2 tsp instead of a full tsp for a while and see what happens. I do take it with food and still get the stomach upset.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  03:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi Luanne,
I am allergic to fish so cannot get my omegas from them. Instead I use Omega Nutrition Organic Pumpkin Seed Butter that has Omega 6, EFA, and Omega 9. They have a website and you can order online. It is one of the few ways I can get a bit of omega's. If the symptoms persist get allergy skin prick tests for fish and seafoods to be sure you are not allergic. I ended up being allergic to all fish and seafood. Bummer, I miss a good fresh trout while camping.
Best to you,
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  09:08:28 AM  Show Profile
If you take the capsules and have problems with burping up the yuckiness...LOL...try keeping them in the freezer. This was a hint from my pharmacist and he was right - it does help.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Island Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Marcie
Texas
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  09:45:20 AM  Show Profile
I take Carlson's Lemon flavored Liquid and don't have a problem with it. It's the best brand I have found. Be sure and keep it in the fridge.

www.flip-flopsandsandals.blogspot.com/

www.palmgrovecottage.com
Go to Top of Page

SunnyJam
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Jamie
Seattle WA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  10:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Star, I will have to try that freezer trick. You're right, burping after taking the capsules is just yucky! I've found that taking the capsule with my biggest meal of the day helps. When I was taking it with just my morning protein shake...well, that wasn't good. Also the brand can make a difference. I started with a store brand that had the nastiest fish aftertaste. Now I spend a little more on Nordic Naturals and very rarely have a problem.

Farmgirl Sister #2504
Go to Top of Page

Kammi
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Kim
Phoenix Az
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2012 :  11:37:47 AM  Show Profile
I take the fish oil in the evening after I have dinner. I have had no problems yet....

Kim
Farmgirl 4256

Remember… Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. Instead, you should slide in sideways, glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, in a body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming “Woohooo! What a ride!”

Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2012 :  09:42:17 AM  Show Profile
I take the Usana BiOmega & they are rather large...but I can take them with no worries about upset stomach or burping ickyness. They have a little lemon flavor, if I do happen to have a little after-burp.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2012 :  08:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Taking two teaspoons of chia seed or two teaspoons of ground flaxseed has the daily dosage of omega oils needed and doesn't taste yucky. I can't handle the capsules or the liquid and this works the best for me.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

KatyDid
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kate
Warwick RI
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2012 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Luanne,

I've been taking fish oil for a couple of months now, 1 tablespoon per day as prescribed by my doctor for eczema issues. (It's more than is usually prescribed, I think, but my skin's been pretty bad.) Like Jamie, the brand I am using is called Nordic Naturals, and it's a lemon flavor. My doctor recommended this brand because she said the higher the quality of fish oil, the less likely it will be to give you any of the undesirable/gassy side effects, and I have found that to be true with Nordic Naturals - no issues for me. Unfortunately I am using the straight oil (not the capsules), because she said I could either take one tablespoonful per day, or end up having to take tons more in capsule form (which would also be much more money). I don't enjoy taking the oil form, but chasing it with some OJ helps! Then I eat breakfast and I am all set for the day. Like Starletta and Marcie said, it is recommended to keep your fish oil cold to keep it from spoiling.

Cheers,
Kate

Farmgirl Sister #4527
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
- Mae West

Edited by - KatyDid on Sep 18 2012 09:05:26 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Omega-3 Fish Oil Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page