Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Craft Room Wish List
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Craft Room Wish List Next Topic  

Neecerie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Denise
Kirkland WA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Neecerie an AOL message
I am in the enviable position of having a fairly large and mostly empty craft room.

What is on your list of 'must have' dream items or areas for a craft/sewing room?

The world's only Art Deco farmgirl?

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2012 :  5:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have an executive size walnut desk in my "project room". My hubby let me have it and it is PERFECT . . . and a "must have". It has a HUGE work surface with lots of drawer space and the extra pullouts on either side. I couldn't ask for a better "workbench". And it's very handsome.

Other items:
- ceiling to floor shelving
- plastic lidded bins . . lots of them in different sizes for sorting/storing supplies.

Sounds like a wonderful position to be in . . . best wishes on your craft room "outfitting"!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  05:35:01 AM  Show Profile
for me its always about the shelves...I never seem to have enough & then i have to store things like under the bed etc & then forget they are there.........I also love tin containers for things like buttons, snaps, needles, small spools of threads,...I also like using the clear plastic things that hold shoes, purses in the closet, they would really good for laces, needle point type fabrics, sewing kits
I also like having my scissors all in one box where I can find them.......Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  08:10:31 AM  Show Profile
I store my buttons and small craft items in jars. I like to see everything. I have 2 good size tables. One for sewing and cutting and the other collects projects. Large clear plastic bins for fabric. Pictures of my family. You will always use shelves, make sure that you have plentyy. Good luck!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  12:22:48 PM  Show Profile
Right now, I just need a sturdy table. My mom's cat jumped up on my sewing table and marked all over a bunch of stuff. (I can't believe he is still LIVING!!!) We couldn't get the smell out of the actual table, so we got rid of the table. Now my sewing machine is sitting on an old card table that s-h-a-k-e-s like crazy when you try to use the sewing machine...(sad pouty face). I never thought I would be so wishful for a TABLE!!! :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Neecerie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Denise
Kirkland WA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  12:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Neecerie an AOL message
oh man, that just sucks....

I took over the guardianship of a cat who has health issues that cause similar...and while its fixable over time, I totally get the frustration associated.

Maybe some sawhorses and an old door would work?

The world's only Art Deco farmgirl?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Denise, my husband used a couple of sawhorses and an old door to do some outside shop work. It was perfect. The door was an old solid door. My husband still uses it.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  1:20:34 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a bookcase or hutch you could move in there? Those are great for putting all kinds of stuff on. An old dresser for keeping material in, then the top for tins and jars.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2012 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Suggestion for a sewing table is to find an old cast-iron treadle sewing machine base at a flea market or estate sale (sometimes found for around $20) and use a quarter sheet of birch 3/4" plywood from the lumberyard on top - sand the edges and varnish - I drilled holes in the plywood to match the base, then screwed it down with flat-head slotted bolts. Since it is so sturdy it doesn't shake. I've used it for knitting machine, sewing machine, and desk over the years.

I fulfilled a long-held wish for my sewing room today, I found a plus-size dress form on Craigslist and purchased it. I've taken a couple of seminars on tailoring and fitting clothes in the last few years and haven't done any of it because of no dress form. I finally decided two weeks ago NO MORE EXCUSES. I had my daughter tape me up in duct tape http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3630/quick-and-easy-duct-tape-dress-form but didn't have any idea how to support the resulting shell. So when I found the dress form on Craigslist I was overjoyed! I used the duct tape shell to make fine-tuning to the actual dress form measurements, and I think it is going to work very well!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blogs at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com (farming) http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com (knitting) or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  10:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh Denise...
"What is on your list of 'must have' dream items or areas for a craft/sewing room?"

Someone to Clean it up for me!!! it looks (once again) like a bomb went off in it !lolol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Aug 18 2012 10:20:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2012 :  10:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh wow! Fun thread!
I would have to say a desk and shelves or bookcases with baskets storing all the goodies?!
I'm living in a small apt and my bedroom is my room/craft room!
I'm learning to go 'up' for more storage and I was blessed enough to find a huge roll top desk with lots of cubbie space. Was a great Craigslist find!
I saved medium yogurt containers, covered them in fabric, and they make cute storage for buttons, quilt squares, chipboard, etc.
Use small jars for storage as well.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13639 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13639 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  09:01:46 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Denise,
I also use an "wardrobe" piece of furniture for storing fabric and things like interfacing, Wonder-Under, etc. The drawers in the bottom store winter sweaters. I'm also a fan of Yankee candles and have a LOT of empty candle jars (the large ones) that I use to store my buttons, and many other embellishments in. I sort them by color and/or style. (Don't have to be Yankee . . I have lots of candle jars that are great visible storage)
My sewing machine, rolling 3-drawer bins for bias tapes and rick rack, drawer bins for other sewing supplies are in another room and there is a shelving unit over my sewing machine for supplies there as well. I also have a 4-drawer chest of drawers in the room with the sewing machine that also stores fabric.
I was able to score some old wooden apple boxes from our farm when we had to sell it (my dad sold LOTS of apples). I cleaned them up, stack them on their sides and use them for further storage of fabric and papercraft supplies.
Organized storage . . where you can get to it and pretty much see it! To me that's essential!

I agree with Gracie . . . someone to come and clean up!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annette Kath
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Annette
Carlock IL
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2012 :  9:48:33 PM  Show Profile
I have all my fabric stored in clear plastic bins so I can see what I have. I also have a conglomeration of nesting boxes for thread, ribbon, lace, embroidery items, patterns etc... I also have plenty of light(windows) so I can see what I'm doing! A pin-up board is also helpful so I can keep track of where my project info is. It bothers me batty when I misplace something. When I find it, I just laugh at myself!

Annette
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  12:18:03 PM  Show Profile
First Id wish for a bigger space. Id wish for a nice over head light for evening and a large table.
Ruthie Ann

http://simpleindianagirl.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl sister#4072
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Craft Room Wish List Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page