Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 what would you do with this area?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what would you do with this area? Next Topic  

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile
We just moved into our new place "Sweet Crossing" in January. Boxes still to unpack and all, but thinking about what I could do with this one area in our yard. There are alot of big trees there, but I think there has to be something we could do there ... grass doesn't grow much so no planting and I don't have extra furniture to put there .. any suggestions?

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  4:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
What about a shade garden hosta's would be pretty.
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  4:42:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to think something on the "glamping" theme, but without an RV sitting there. Can't wait for the book to come out maybe it will give me some ideas, but if we get a huge downpour of rain or a storm, I don't want everything ruined.

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

machick
True Blue Farmgirl

60 Posts

Diana
Park City Kansas
USA
60 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I think the glamping theme is a good idea. Don't get in a big hurry to do it. Give yourself plenty of time to get good ideas and keep your eyes open for second had furniture to set up your glamping area. You could also put in flower gardens around the edges. I know you will make this a very cozy glamping area. Maybe something with a bed and out door tub. Show us pictures when you get it done

May your bobbins always be full!!!
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  5:44:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking a nice gazebo for sitting in. Nice shaded and cool in the summer a great place to drink coffee on those cool fall mornings ... I love pine groves tho.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

erowease
True Blue Farmgirl

294 Posts

Lesley
Edmonds wa
USA
294 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile
How about a camping style canopy that you "glamp up" with lace curtains or mosquito netting and then put a small table and chairs underneath so you can go out a nice cup of tea whenever you need a break? Hang a couple of Fairy lights along the canopy frame for a nice spot for the evenings. Advantage is that it can be changed at anytime since it can all be portable.

Lesley
"I see God in the eyes of every child...every life is precious to God, whatever the circumstances." Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  05:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas! Thanks everyone and keep them coming! This will be one of my winter projects ... designing my idea on paper.

Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  05:34:03 AM  Show Profile
With those beautiful trees my first thought was a hammock to lay in and read and take naps. I would consider a brick or stone winding pathway. You could grow shade plants/flowers, though you might need to amend the soil some. Or plants/flowers in containers. I love planning new spots!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://www.etsy.com/shop/BitsofEntropy?ref=si_shop
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2012 :  05:53:51 AM  Show Profile
I can just see a nice cozy hammock between 2 of those trees. They are spaced just right. You could even plant some hedge type bushes around the outside and make a nice private get away with some shady plants and cute wooden furniture. Even a bedroom with a net to cover it so you can stay out there at night. That place is perfect. Be creative and have fun!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  1:52:18 PM  Show Profile
Like Kris said, I'd have nice wooden furniture, a fire pit with a cover, bird houses in some of the trees, and a wooden tables by some of the chairs.
Let us know what you do. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Neecerie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Denise
Kirkland WA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Neecerie an AOL message
I second the hammock idea. Besides normal ones, you could also build a platform out of wood and have it hang between some of the trees. In summer you can then fix it up with cushions and bedding and have a lazy outside place to hang out.

The world's only Art Deco farmgirl?
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Denise, that sounds like a really good idea. Also, hang a couple of ferns, and hummingbird feeders.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  03:22:08 AM  Show Profile
i see a hammock or cozy bench for reading or sipping coffee...and def hostas love the shade...

along an edge some clumps of daff bulbs for the spring???

i don't know that i would actually "fill" it up a whole lot..but naturalize it more.....does that make sense???

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Kammi
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Kim
Phoenix Az
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  09:29:32 AM  Show Profile
How about an old metal bed frame, and put in plants where the mattress will go. My mother did that along with table and chairs with plants growing in and about the furniture. It looked great.

Also love the idea of a hammock.

Have fun with that space.

Best always

Kim
Farmgirl 4256

Remember… Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body. Instead, you should slide in sideways, glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, in a body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming “Woohooo! What a ride!”

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  05:24:09 AM  Show Profile
I also back the hammock, here, I edited the picture so that you could see how awesome you would look lounging there.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://simpileeliving.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2012 :  7:07:03 PM  Show Profile
You've got some great ideas already, but How about a "log cabin" garden shelter with a little campfire in front of it with some log benches. You can hang out the lantern in front. If it was big enough you could have a "glamping getaway" inside with all the lace you want. Chew on it for awhile and find lots of ideas. It will design itself with a little reflection. Good luck. Your place looks beautiful.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2012 :  08:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Emily! I love your edited work and you made me look soooo good! Thanks! lol! This is Deb Warner from Seven Valleys, I'll try to get you an email this weekend.

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic what would you do with this area? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page