Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Dryer sheets repel Squash bugs?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dryer sheets repel Squash bugs????? Next Topic  

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  06:39:25 AM  Show Profile
I have squash bugs soooo bad in my garden. I've been using dish soap which helps a little but you really have to stay on top of it as each bug has to be squirted.

so my mom is telling me that dryer sheets repel the squash bugs. Has anyone else done this or heard of this??? Apparently they have Oleander in it which repels bugs and mice.

*** walking out the door with my squirt bottle, and money for dryer sheets ***

P.S
My garden is about 2 miles away in a community garden :(
*sigh* wish we lived in the country

Reina

Lorie.Vance
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Lorie
Tampa FL
200 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  07:27:47 AM  Show Profile
We have squash growing, and I hate bugs, so keep me posted on this!

Lorie

http://thevintagegardengirl@blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  08:32:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Reina,

please tell me how to you use the dish soap? We have tons of bugs.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  10:58:55 AM  Show Profile
The soap seemed to work really well. You make a soapy water solution and squirt the bug directly. Apparently the bugs breathe through their bodies so when the soapy water gets on them they die. The big adult squash bugs I really soaked with soap and they take a few steps and just stop and eventually fall off of the plant. This was also working great for those yellow lady bug/bean bugs and the cucumber beatles too!

I will say that I squirted all the bugs I could find. Then I watered the plant. More bugs came to the top of the plant and I squirted some more. I repeated this twice until I didn't see anymore bugs. I will go out again to do this all over. It's war over here!!!!!

I did put a dryer sheet around one of my zucchini plants. It was the Sun free and clear. I'm being told that it's the P&G brand of dryer sheets that work. We'll see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2012 :  2:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll try the dryer sheet. Interesting! Thanks for sharing the information.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  2:54:50 PM  Show Profile
Okay dryer sheets do NOT repel bugs. Atleast the one I tried. The best thing I found was to take the bug off the plant and squirt it with soapy water. The soapy was hurting my plants so be sure to wash off the water. I did get the squash bugs under control but it is something that has to be done everyday.

Reina
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  3:21:57 PM  Show Profile
I use dryer sheets to scrap off the love bugs on my car windows. They work for me. Of course, you have to come back and wash the glass, but the dryer sheets loosen up the dead dried up love bugs.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  3:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh that's a great tip!! Thanks

Reina
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:36:14 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome. I also use dryer sheets to clean under furniture. They are like a lint wipe.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Dryer sheets repel Squash bugs????? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page