Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  10:57:52 AM  Show Profile
I know, I know... I'm full of questions this week! :)

I just got my new pressure canner, and it says I can add a tray and stack a second set of pint jars on top to process, but to stagger them. I've never used anything but a water bath canner before, and the jars are always neatly and niftily (word?) nestled in a basket... First of all, how should I place them in the bottom layer? What if I'm using quart jars - is it okay if they touch slightly? And with the smaller jars, when they say "stagger" does that mean stagger both top and bottom? And do I need to add more water when I have more than one layer of jars, or just use the 2 - 3 inches? The directions aren't exactly clear on this, and they don't have a diagram, otherwise I probably wouldn't be asking... So much to learn, so many confusing directions! I just REALLY don't want to blow anything up, you know? LOL!

Thanks so much, girls - especially for putting up with me! :) You're the best!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 11 2012 10:58:58 AM

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  1:54:54 PM  Show Profile
I have no idea because I have never stacked. It must be a big one. Did they not have a picture? I like to see how things work. I hope you get some answers soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  2:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Nini, is there instructions with your canner? If not you might google it. I think also, yours must be really big. I am going to google and see if I see one like that. I have two, but they are single layer, and my MIL who taught me to use it. Said never to stack, even if using 1/2 pints. But that may be old-timey knowledge, I have just followed it thru the years. Good Luck, will be looking for others to answer. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  2:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nini,
My pressure canner is large enough for two layers of pints as well, however I've never done it. It does have two racks so one goes in the very bottom and one between the layers. I pretty much can most things in quart jars, BUT I always put a rack thingie in the bottom.
AND, I never let my jars touch. I don't know if that's the "rules" or not, but I keep a teeny tiny bit of space between them.
Happy canning!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  3:32:33 PM  Show Profile
My jars often touch in the canner. Never had a problem and I can all the time.

I put a rack in on top of the bottom layer and pile the jars in second layer. With a rack it's not as big a deal to stagger. But if you are stacking directly on top of the jars on the bottom row, then definitely stagger. Yes, I have done this a time or two and not had any problem. I try not to though- lost my second rack for a couple of weeks one time.

You do not need more water in a pressure canner just because you have a second layer of jars. It's the same 2-3 inches no matter how many jars.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Use two racks and stagger the pints, just set the second rack slightly askew if you know what I mean.....I don't like my jars to touch each other and the water just needs to be 2-3 inches over the highest level of the jars.....the biggest thing is to make sure that your pressure stays even to ensure that the ingredients get to the hottest level possible...jars will seal even if you haven't maintained proper pressure.....you will be fine if you know that you have vented for the appropriate amount of time and the pressure stays are the right level for the whole period of time the recipe calls for....

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wwEh7WR/]
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2012 :  7:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Thank you SO much, girls! Without a picture, it was really hard to figure out what to do! I knew I could count on you! Thank you!!!

STAR!!! Where have you been?! SO good to see you! Hope all is well! I've missed you!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pressure Canning Questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page