Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ramp for an old dog Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  9:57:09 PM  Show Profile
I made a plywood ramp for Boxer to use when he's going up and down the steps from the house to the garage. There's only two steps but because of muscle weakness, he has trouble with them. He doesn't like the ramp, won't use it so I've been setting his supper dish on it so he'll get used to standing on it. I know it'll take some time for him to adjust but I hope it'll make life a little easier for him. I put some adhesive stuff on it for traction so he won't slip. Anyone else ever made a ramp for their fur-kid?
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Yep, we've made a ramp for fur kids before. Make sure it has lots of traction so they don't slip! We've put both carpet and little pieces of wood across the ramp to act as grippers. Our dogs didn't like it at first either, but a few treats placed up the ramp a few days convinced them it was ok! :) Good luck.

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  08:17:46 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine had made a ramp for her dog. It took a couple of days for her dog to get used to it. She had to walk up and down the ramp several times with her dog. Then he did it himself. She said her dog kept looking at the sides of the ramp. So, her husband put up a small rail, then the dog had no problems. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yep ! I forgot to say that when they were first getting used to it, we had to put plywood up along the sides (like a rail) so they wouldn't jump off. After a week we could take that down. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  1:58:39 PM  Show Profile
We never made a ramp for Hobbs, he was small enough that when he had troubles we would just pick him up and carry him. If we had larger dogs though, you bet I would be making a ramp! When Hobbs' knees went out I was worried he wouldn't be able to go on walks with me so I downloaded a thread on converting a baby stroller into a pet stroller. Never had to do that either since his surgeries took care of the problem until he passed. Anything to make our aged pets more comfortable and keep them around longer! I hope your fur-kid gets the hang of it and it makes his life a bit better. Maybe coax him up it with his favorite treats?

Audrey

http://prairiecairncottage.blogspot.com/
Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2012 :  4:06:42 PM  Show Profile
We also had a ramp for one of our pups. Putting something on the sides, and lots of traction seems to help.
Good luck!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Ramp for an old dog Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page