Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Best way to use thin pork chops
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best way to use thin pork chops Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  09:12:06 AM  Show Profile
I ordered some pork chops from our organic delivery service and though they look good, they are small 4 inches long, and thin (1/2 thick). These will turn to hockey pucks if I make them in the skillet...does anyone have a recommendation for using thin pork chops in recipes?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4221 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4221 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  1:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Marinate them and throw them on the grill. Watch closely as the won't take too long to cook.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile
You could do a breaded cutlet, or slice and cook fajita style.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  1:32:41 PM  Show Profile
You could dice it and steam it with seasonings and put over brown rice. I make a sweet and sour pork over brown rice. Yum!
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More by Laurie
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, that sounds yummy--would you mind posting a recipe? I'm just a little stumped with the thin cut.

I've also found a recipe with breading that would work, like what Lisa mentions...we'll see.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I pan fry mine in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. And sprinkle on some seasonings. Flip and repeat the seasoning. Quick and easy and yummy.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  4:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget about the crockpot too! Crockpot is always good lol

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  6:45:01 PM  Show Profile
I cooked some thin pork chops tonight. I took 1 cup of rice mixed 1 can of cream of chicken soup one and half cup of chicken broth and chopped one med. Onion . Mixed it all together in a baking dish. Then salt and peppered my chops layer them on top of rice mixture covered and baked in oven on 350 for an hr and 20 mins. It was really good. Comfort food. Had asparagus to go with it.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1503 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1503 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  9:30:52 PM  Show Profile
I have two favorite recipes for thin pork chops.

One is porkchops with sauerkraut. I like to simmer my sauerkraut for an hour or so with the flavorings (either traditional style with caraway seeds and chopped apples or a sweet/sour version with brown sugar, dijon mustard and diced apples) so after I mix up the sauerkraut I just set the porkchops on top and put a lid on the pan. Sometimes if I have time I will brown the chops a bit first.

The other method is to place chopped onions, diced red potatoes and pork chops in a slow cooker. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then dump a can or two of cream of chicken or mushroom soup over the top and cook on low for 5-6 hours. This hits the spot after a hard day at work especially in the winter when it's cold outside!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  04:02:45 AM  Show Profile
I'd second the fajita style w/ lots of peppers and tortilla wrap!

Other way we like our pork is w/ saurkraut and mashed potatoes. Simmer the chops in a skillet w/ the kraut. Oh so good!
Go to Top of Page

TheBeeCharmer
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Deb
Seven Valleys PA
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  08:20:15 AM  Show Profile
We actually like our pork chops cut thin and get the butcher to cut them this way for us. The trick is to marinade them for a couple hours, we prefer overnight, by using Gazebo Greek salad dressing. Then my husband cooks them on the grill. Do not overcook them! The flavor is outstanding and they are so moist. Delicious! Please try it this way!

~You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2012 :  5:37:49 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, all I do is cut the pork into strips and dice (fairly large dice) they will shrink. Then I sautee them in pure olive oil and soy sauce just enough to cover pan and stir until cooked. I add pineapple chunks in natural juice, reserve juice. Heat juoce in pan and thicken with cornstartch add to meat and serve over cooked brown rice. Enjoy! Sorry this has taken me so long to respond, been very busy.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart

http://www.etsy.com/people/lauriescott60
Aprons and More by Laurie
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best way to use thin pork chops Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page