Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Oak tre Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  12:36:59 AM  Show Profile
I have a very large oak tree in my backyard that is also close to the house. In JUne, ahuge branch fell out of it (no warning) and damaged my fence. Now I'm thinking of having it cut down. An arborist(?) is supposed to come and look at it--apparently there's a lot of value in it. Anyone know what the lumber from it may be worth? I don't like the idea of cutting it down but I don't want it, or its branches, to fall on the house. Lightning recently struck a neighbor's cottonwood tree and that worries me too.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2012 :  04:38:14 AM  Show Profile
There is like 50+ types of oak trees, I think mostly red and white oak are what is used in lumber.
If you have a saw mill near you they would be able to tell you more what the tree is worth dollar wise. The arborist will tell you the health of the tree and how to trim, prune and save it.
I have never been one for cutting down trees for $ ... and most if not all of our firewood comes from fallen tress. But there are times when you just have to remove them.
Good luck.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Oak tre Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page