Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Scenes from my garden. Update on tomatoes!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Scenes from my garden. Update on tomatoes! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  4:56:08 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
I gave a previous poster some advice so here is what I wrote:
Karen,
Where abouts do you live? Tomatoes are pretty heavy feeders and require calcium to set blossoms. Pruning the suckers helps also because the plant can put more energy into blossoms and fruit than leaves and stems. I saw a post on some gardening web-site where a guy puts a whole dead fish in the hole before he plants his tomatoe plant! I don't do this, but I do get special tomato food from my garden center. I also use compost. I water the tomato plants with drip hoses at the base which helps from soil born diseases damaging the leaves. I also use straw for mulch to maintain the moisture. Tomatoes like a couple inches of water per week. I live in Southern Wisconsin and we have had one of the worst droughts and heat since the 30's also. I had to be very dilligent about watering my gardens this year.

Let me know if you need any more tips! As for the raised beds, I swear by Mel Bartholomew's "Square Foot Gardening" book.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

I am trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Aug 19 2012 4:56:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  4:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I am pulling up all my tomatoes this week. I need to plant more fall stuff so need the room. And they are all anyway. I will never plant so many tomato plants ever again. Those things have a mind of their own! I sure will miss my bacon and tomato samiches though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  5:11:42 PM  Show Profile
I pulled up my tomato's this pass weekend. It wasn't a good tomato season for us this year; too much rain.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2012 :  10:34:35 PM  Show Profile
I am harvesting (almost) the last of my tomatoes... so tomorrow will be salsa canning day!
Between laundry and paying bills! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Scenes from my garden. Update on tomatoes! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page