Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Dog digging under fence to get chickens...HELP!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog digging under fence to get chickens...HELP! Next Topic  

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:47:31 PM  Show Profile
my neighbor has a dog that is digging under the fence to get at my girls. We have "doubled" the fence but there are spot that we just can't cover. I read somewhere about a homemade spray or powder that would discourage his behavior without harming him. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Pilar,
I have been reading lots on chicken forums about raising chicks recently, and I noticed that people in south use this stuff for snakes. You told you r neighbor, right?

http://www.liquidfence.com/dog-cat-repellent-bottle.html

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Jul 31 2012 2:55:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  3:35:03 PM  Show Profile
yes, he knows but he won't do anything about it.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile
if it comes to it, practice the 3 S's :shoot, shovel and shut-up!!!

pepper spray is a great deterant for sensitive dog noses, make it your self with dryed "HOT" peppers soaked in very little water, then sprinkle/spay all around where the dog goes, good luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  5:25:59 PM  Show Profile
thanks Tina, I have some dried peppers that will be perfect for the job. I also ordered the liquid fence from Amazon.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  5:28:56 PM  Show Profile
I bury chicken wire under the dirt, I rake it back with hoe, the lay it down, and cover it, I do this mostly while building pen, so that it is half inside and half outside. I have never had an animal dig in thru this. But I have to say, I did my quail pen like this and a snake dug enough of a hole that he got in and ate some eggs, and 2 female quail, and killed one female quail. I went to feed, and saw him all swollen, and he could not get out, with the lumps in him. I was very upset, but snakes can get in a lot of places. Good luck hope you figure it out.
Farmgirl #946 Linda

Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  05:51:59 AM  Show Profile
We just got electronet fencing to keep the neighbor dog away. She came over and got real close to the fence and the chickens came over to her and got closer and closer and the dog put it's nose to the fence and "zap!" she ran away and hasn't been back since. That was several weeks ago now. We are loving it. Are you in the country or in town? We're in the country, so I don't know how that translates inside city limits.

~Hugs,
April

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  06:16:52 AM  Show Profile
i would love one of the electric fences. we instead used heavy cinder blocks up tight against the wire what ever is after my chicks and fryers right now gives up before having success. it is sure a frustration when folks let their animals run crazy. hugs

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2012 :  07:06:00 AM  Show Profile
We are in the city and have a fence all around our property. The fence had to be replaced because the dog had broken most of the bottom pieces off. I wish I could have an electric fence but the town won't allow it.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  10:18:16 AM  Show Profile
Pilar have you thought about taking pictures of the dog or calling the dog warden. Maybe they can doing something. If the dog comes up and you can put a leash on him. Take him to the pound and tell them what is going on. Just a thought.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:32:49 AM  Show Profile
is there a leash law? Where we are if any dog or animal is caught killing livestock you have the right to kill said animal. Find out what your law is, and maybe REMIND your neighbor of it.
Good luck, I have lost a ton of chickens that way.

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  11:52:41 AM  Show Profile
I did not know about the leash law. I'll have to look into that. Hubby told the guy that if the dog gets in, he's not coming out alive. But the guy just don't get it or care enough to do somthing about it. Thanks for all your help ladies.

PS: Sprayed one of the spots today with the hot pepper mix. I REALLY hope it works.

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2012 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile
Well,I'm with Tina and I practice the three S's in such cases,I find that the majority of dog owners who feel entitled to let thier animal run free are ignorant,careless and rude and so I don't give them much courtesy anymore and I just dispatch the animals,if they cared about thier animal's well being then they wouldn't let them run loose.
I would be very quiet about it because shooting someone's dog can incite some hate crimes against you by either the owner or fanatical dog lovers.
We each have a responsibility to protect the animals under our care and a responsibility to also keep our animals from becoming a nuisance or danger to other people and thier animals and unfortunately as small livestock owners we have to fill in and make hard choices for the animals whose owners just don't understand such ethics.
When I see a dog on my property I usually give it one chance,I either shoot at it,throw a lit blackcat at it (if fire danger isn't too high) and give it a chance to run off but if I see it back and it poses a problem (I do make exceptions for gentle animals that don't bother anything) then I shoot him,bury him and sleep much better at night than I would if I had to worry about my animals from a nuisance animal.
I've had alot of experience dealing with this issue and I've found that it just doesn't pay to be nice to irresponsible dog owners,I've realized that trying to reason with people like that is like trying to ask a monkey to solve a math problem though I have to say your chances are better at getting an intelligent response from the monkey.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  1:33:08 PM  Show Profile
The homemade spray of buckshot. If you or your husband are experienced with ammunition a shotgun shell can be filled with rock salt and that leaves quite an impression but normally won't kill a dog if you aren't too close. They will make a wide detour around your property from then on though, so everyone in the neighborhood will know who administered the lesson. Be safe sweetie. sorry you are having this problem. Maybe the red pepper will work, or at least the dog pound. Maybe if you just called the pound they would send someone over there to talk with the neighbor and it'll get through his thick skull.
Good Luck
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2012 :  2:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Electrify your chicken fence. Get a fence charger, plug it in and run electric fence wire from the charger to the coop. use plastic gate handles on the ends of the strands. Put one strand on each side of the coop. The dog while digging is bound to come in contact with the fence above ground. Also, a 20 guage works well. Sorry pet lovers. There is such a thing as crop/livestock damage when farming.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog digging under fence to get chickens...HELP! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page