Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Okra, Okra, Okra Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  3:34:29 PM  Show Profile
We just picked bags of okra. I'll be able to freeze at least ten bags for the winter.
Our tomato and cucumber plants are yellowing and the leaves are slowly fallen, I think due to the amount of rain we've been getting. But the okra is producing more and more.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Marly! Glad to hear that you are getting plenty of Okra. Sorry to hear about cucumbers and tomatoes though. Gardening sure does keep life interesting...doesnt it?
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:26:12 PM  Show Profile
all I can say is YUM!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  4:55:10 PM  Show Profile
Laurie: Thanks for your comment. We love to garden. And- of all that we were growing, the okra was our favorite.
Teri, come on down, I'll cook a gumbo. You can put your knee up and enjoy! It is very yummy.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  6:03:39 PM  Show Profile
love okra cooked any way....Fried, pickled, gumbo, okra and tomatoes with bacon.....yummy

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  6:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Me, too, Dorinda. But, it sure makes a shrimp gumbo better. I even make 7-steak & okra gumbo.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2012 :  9:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Marly,

You are making me hungry for gumbo! I made smothered okra yesterday--so good, but needed good LA sausage instead of what I used!

Hugs,
Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  4:51:36 PM  Show Profile
Portia, I agree, okra in a gumbo is the best. And- good LA sausage. Bon Apetit!
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  7:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Marly, I finally picked a good size basket of okra tonight. My plants are only about knee high but have good size okra. I hate picking it though. It hurts! And I cannot wear gloves and long sleeves. Can I come eat at your house?? I have never had any kind of gumbo but would love to try some.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

www.kris-outbackfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2012 :  7:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Kris: You bet! I'll cook you a shrimp or chicken and okra gumbo. Let me know. I know what you mean about picking okra. I wear leather gloves full of holes, and I'm still itching after. But, it's worth it to me. Do you blanch your okra and freeze it? That's what I do.
Marly

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Okra, Okra, Okra Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page