Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 making a cow halter Lots of pics
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic making a cow halter Lots of pics Next Topic  

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2012 :  8:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Making a Cow Halter

Jane Showing a homemade rope halter

To start you will need 2 pieces of rope one 7' long and the other as long as you want the lead rope. Some tips on rope, cotton is soft, but nylon is stronger. Might want to look at how strong your rope needs to be i can use cotton rope on my cow.

this picture shows where the knots are for my yearling scottish highlander. I dont think that it will change as she grows older, because I can make the nose longer by adjustin the lead loop, and the tail end is really long.
Another thing is that this halter is not meant to be left on! I use a collar for my cow out in the pasture, it has a breakaway stitching if she were to get caught on anything. If you wanted to leave a halter on your cow you could get a horse halter and cut the throat latch off and then the buckle can break if they get caught on any thing. This is what my dad does.

To tie the rope halter I use a simple over hand knot as shown in the first picture. Tying the knot this way makes it easy to get off as all you have to do is push the tie loop back on the headband rope to loosen. The second picture shows what it should not look like as this is hard to untie if it gets tight.

Here is how to attach the lead to the head stall part

So the only knot that I used is the Bowline, but an overhand knot would work. I use the bowline because it can be untied even after a lot of pulling on. So here is a set of pics that show how to tie a bowline. If tied correct it will not slide and change size.

Start by making a loop, with the tail end on top

next place the top tail though the loop

next take the top tail over and then under the bottom tail

next bring the tail back through the bottom of the loop. Tighten up and adjust loop size.

When I learned to make this knot in 4-H we had a little way of remembering how to tie this knot that went like this.

The rabbit jumped out of the hole, jumped over a stick, than ran under the stick, then jumped back in his hole.

Good luck leave any questions here and i'll answer to the best of my ability.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  3:08:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow thats a really neat looking cow. What kind of cow is that? The halter looks pretty cool too.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  5:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Wow that's a complex one! I just learned how to make them from 3-ply nylon rope.

Are you showing Jane at a fair? Do they have a Scotty class?

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Highland cattle, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, Silver Fox rabbits, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  6:53:49 PM  Show Profile
i am getting ready to halter train my heifers. thank you so much for the easy to understand making of a halter. i know it took some time to set that up and photo it and share. so thanks

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2012 :  10:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Jane is a Scottish highlander. No i do not show at the fair, but Jane is going to be my milk cow so i wanted to make her as easy to handle as possible. I can make the halters out of the 3 ply also but they are harder to get back to a piece of rope to make a different size.
when i started halter training jane i put a lead around her neck that was tied so it could not get tighter and let her drag it around. as she stepped on the lead she learned to let off the pressure with out me pulling on her. I also used a butt rope, like you would to train a colt to lead.
The main reason that i make my own halters is because i couldnt find any to fit jane, or she out grew them to fast. My area is big in Holstiens so everything is jumbo sized.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile
You are a talented lady Megan! If I tried that I would hang myself...LOL.
>Laura< tack dislexic

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page

crittergranny
True Blue Farmgirl

1096 Posts

Laura
Lindrith NM
USA
1096 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  07:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Jane is a beauty. Are you going to be able to find her bag under all that beautiful hair? JK.
Laura

Horse poor in the boonies.

www.nmbarrelhorses.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic making a cow halter Lots of pics Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page