Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  12:01:32 PM  Show Profile
Well gals, on the 19th of August (or sooner) we close on a hud property about a mile away from us.

The Skinny is that the main house is set back from the road with a dirt/gravel plot about an acre between the house and the road.

The house is a "frankenhouse"! LOL It started life as a tiny 2 bedroom singlewide, and had a second half built on the back that includes a small porch, a utility room, a dining room, an extra small bedroom, and a "sunken living room" with french doors I am turning into a master suite.

There is an old singlewide trailer just behind the yard that is in rough shape (still not sure what we are doing with this)

Behind that there is a 3 car garage building on a concrete slab that we are converting to a barn. It's got power, well vented and we are planning a milk parlor, a rabbitry, a storage room and an oversize box stall for bad weather or birthing.

There is a small goat pen near the barn that needs very little finishing-- I'm going to put my dexter cow in it to start-- and I can arrange the corral horse panels in a free space for another pen.

There are a several mature desert trees on the property, which makes the lot really unique.

Well water is plentiful, and is shared only with my mother's house down the street.

I walked through on thursday, measured windows for curtains and took notes of repairs needing to be done immediately.

Here is the most important room to start with... The Kitchen!!

It's painted white, and pretty simple. The cupboard doors are pretty cheap and lightweight, and I won't have money to gut and remodel the kitchen for a while if ever, so new cabinets are not an option. I'm thinking about painting the middle of the doors (inside the square) and changing the pulls.

Check the dining room! I love the ceramic tiles through the kitchen, dining area and bathrooms!

More pictures coming when I get over there again.

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Jul 21 2012 12:03:30 PM

SallyT
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Sarah
Buford Georgia
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  12:28:05 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations!! Much happiness living there for you and your family. I live in Buford, Ga, where is was wonderfully rural when I moved here and the area is now quite suburban, so sad.

Your home will be absolutely wonderful.

Warmth of Friendship Necessary for Life
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  2:43:12 PM  Show Profile
Congratulation! Thanks for the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  4:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Congrats!
Hey Rome wasn't built in a day ... you should have seen what we started with ...
Good luck!

Teri

"There are black sheep in every flock"

White Sheep Farm
www.whitesheepfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  6:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations!!!! Looks and sounds like the ideal place.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  7:12:17 PM  Show Profile
Love the pics! I love older homes so enjoy and have fun making it your own!! So exciting!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shanda
True Blue Farmgirl

522 Posts

Shanda
Broken Bow OK
USA
522 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  7:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Congrats!

And about that older trailer: we had one on some family land that was in bad shape (we wanted to sale the land but the trailer was bringing the price down! so, yeah really bad shape) and we were able to give the trailer to some people who wanted to make a deer camp out of it. They came and hauled it off, and cleaned up the spot it was sitting on, free for them and no cost to us. Recycling at its best! ha!

Shanda

Farmgirl #4233
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  7:43:17 PM  Show Profile
How cool, congrats! We bought a forecloser and had to do something's before we was able to move in and still working on things. We buy a little here and there so we can pay cash, don't know how long it will take but like you once it's done it will be well worth it! Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10

Farmgirl sister #1156
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2012 :  10:56:17 PM  Show Profile
It's so nice to share this with the kind of ladies who have "vision"... It's just so funny because to the un-initiated eye, it looks like a dump with two old shoddy houses, bad decks, rocks, and an old garage! LOL

~*~ http://silverstarfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/ ~*~

“When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, 'I used everything you gave me.”
~Erma Bombeck
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2012 :  06:21:16 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Congrats on your new home, can't wait to see more pics!I sure if the trailer is in to bad of shape, you can find someone to scrap it out.
Go to Top of Page

shauna
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Shauna
San Diego CA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2012 :  09:47:31 AM  Show Profile
Very nice! Congrats!!!! I love the ceramic floors.
Go to Top of Page

jeanb
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Jean
Tollhouse CA
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2012 :  7:25:31 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new home!!! Have you thought about stripping the cabinets and refinishing?
Go to Top of Page

summer girl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

summer
llano tx
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  12:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on the new house. One of my faveret spots to get cheep pant is the miss mixed paint shelf of wal-mart. The colors are not perfict but they work for acents.

do what you love, love what you do
Go to Top of Page

SallyT
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Sarah
Buford Georgia
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2012 :  05:54:38 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations!!! Looks like a great place to make memories.

Sarah

Warmth of Friendship Necessary for Life
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic The desert farm project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page