Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Input re: Steam Juicer Next Topic  

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  5:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
I've been wanting to can my own juice- especially apple, as family loves it so much, but never sure how. I found this steam juicer at Lehman's http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=5596&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=juicer but would like to not have to pay that much to can my own juice. Any input on that particular juicer or, a way to do it efficiently without one?

Thanks much,

Erica

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  9:46:33 PM  Show Profile
I just got a steam juicer last fall and I LOVE it!!! I had borrowed one the year before and so I knew I would like it. I got mine on Ebay and it is alot like that one on LEhmans..but cheaper. Mine is enamelware instead of stainless so I am careful not to chip it...
it works great..easy and the pulp I run though a victorio strainer and make applesauce with. YUM!! I would check ebay for better prices maybe.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  03:31:50 AM  Show Profile
YEA! I looked up one of these last year, and since I still have a freezer FULL of berries that will need to be made into jellies this winter, something like this really caught my eye.

So does it really just leave dryish pulp? Seems too good to be true.

With the exception of strawberries which I whirr through the blender , all my squishing time takes about an hour anyway.

This past weekend I made muscadine jelly (that's NC wild grapes) and felt badly when I looked into the bucket of pulp and saw more juice. Glad the chickens benifitted anyway!

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  12:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I have borrowed one of these before and they are GREAT! I just was bidding for one on ebay. It went for $81, which was a great buy, but well beyond my budget.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

flowerchild
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Erica
Oregon
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2006 :  3:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Send flowerchild an AOL message
Do you think it matters if I get aluminum or stainless steel? I think stainless is better but I am not sure why -rolls eyes-. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  03:53:13 AM  Show Profile
I think stainless steel may be a bit more durable.

If I were to buy a steamer, it would be stainless
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Input re: Steam Juicer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page