Hazel
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jen
Bridgeport Pa
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  05:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Just a question, if anyone has any suggestions... I have large amounts of grapeseed oil and coconut oil.. As well as olive oil. I am making infused oils for salves and balms for my family and friends, but I see ALOT of recipes calling for olive or sweet almond, not so much for the other two. I love the smell of coconut oil and really want to use up what I have and I found a great deal on oil so I bought a few bottles. Has anyone tried making infused oils with either of these? My first and only balm was made with lemon balm infused olive oil, beeswax and added coconut oil.. But would it be ok to actually infuse the coconut oil? Is it stable enough or will it go rancid too quick? My usually method is to used dried herbs and oil to cover, then place in a sunny windo that gets full sun from the west for about 6 or 7 hours. Any thoughts or experience with this?

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Yes, you can use coconut oil. I've not had any problems with using it.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

Hazel
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Jen
Bridgeport Pa
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  05:08:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh I'm glad.. I know when I make a salve I'll have to add another carrier oil bc coconut solidifies when cold, so in the winter it will be hard to use, but I love the smell! And it feels so good on my skin!
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2012 :  3:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I just put mine in an easy access jar to use and leave it alone; when it's solid I just dab some on. I don't too much care if it stays liquid or not (but them I'm making mine just for me too).

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

www.madameapothecary.com
Go to Top of Page

ourhealingroots
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Katrina
Tulsa OK
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2012 :  5:16:15 PM  Show Profile
I find the grapeseed oil works great! I've been using it for a couple of years in my salves. I like it better than olive oil for salves. It seems that it is not as likely to go rancid over time. I made a salve last night with grapeseed oil infused with dried calendula petals, arnica, comfery root, and St. John's wort. I used 12 ounces of the infused oil, an ounce of rosehip oil, an ounce of kukui nut oil, 2 ounces of beeswax (probably better to use 1.75 ounces if you want a softer salve), and then my essential oils. I actually burnt myself in the process of making it, and the salve quickly took away the pain and redness (probably in part due to the Kukui nut oil and lavender essential oil).

Go for it with the grapeseed oil!

Katrina
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herb infused oils? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page