CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  11:46:31 PM  Show Profile
i've been collecting country living and country home magazines for over twenty years .. and martha stewart and mary engelbreit for about half that long too. have sold and/or given most of them away .. but i save all the 'holiday' ones .. valentines .. halloween .. thanksgiving and christmas. and i still buy olde copies when i see them .. usually for 25 cents to a dollar. i bought a box of those 'page protectors' .. (plastice page sleeves) that fit into a three ring binder from office depot. and now i am going through the magazines and cutting out holiday articles and placing them in the sleeves then in separate 'holiday' books. there are great ideas, inspiration, recipes that are timeless. and this way, you don't have to pay SIX dollars for a current magazine .. wait a few months and then look for them at yardsales and even antiques shoppes.

i also have SUBSCRIPTIONS to these magazines .. because i realize that if we don't buy them .. they can't stay in business .. and i also get the current issue early. just don't like paying that 'newsstand' price for them though.

i am working on my 'halloween' book now .. and am going to 'dry pumpkin seeds' with lucas tomorrow.

i also saw a cute idea that we are going to try when i come back up here in october ... closer to halloween ... you take a LARGE pumpkin and either drill holes (or hammer nail holes .. which is what we will do because kids like to be a part of this project) ... and then you take halloween lolli-pops and insert them in the holes. i did one at home already .. with forty lollipops in it .. i started at the top and went around and then did a second row staggering the holes 'between' the holes above it and kept going all the way to the bottom of the pumpkin. lucas will make one for the kids in his school. they are great table centerpieces too ... especially for visiting children. (i have one at my booth at glovers' station).

will share more ideas as i see them. xo

p.s. yep! it's 2:45 a.m.!!! i just finished helping daughter, Wednesday with the 2:30 a.m. feeding .. i fed sofia as wednesday 'pumped'! babies are such fun! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  04:30:02 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple of binders of magazine tearsheets, Frannie, but never thought of putting the pages in the page protectors -- great idea! I keep my Martha holiday magazines and Mary Engelbreit holiday + the artist studio issues. I tear out house ideas, for the house we may build 'someday', and craft ideas (pillows, sachets, wreaths, etc.)

You're right about having subscriptions -- we do want our magazines to stay in business -- so many of us still lament the demise of Victoria magazine.

The lollipop pumpkin sounds cute! Thanks for sharing your ideas.

(p.s. -- Did you ever think you'd be doing a 2:30 a.m. feeding again?? How sweet to have that special early morning time with the lovely little one while Wednesday sleeps!)
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  09:48:04 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I'll have to go through all my magazines and do that!

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  10:01:33 AM  Show Profile
i've put them in notebooks before .. but they would get lost, fall out or get torn. i think these protectors are a good idea .. and a SEPARATE notebook for each holiday is helpful too. i have the kind with the clear plastic pocket on the front cover .. and i slip a holiday page there .. and have instant identification!

i'm loving jumping up and down .. but had a little 'episode' a couple days ago ... had been up about 6 or 8 times durng the night and then i would go out and SHOP much of the day! i love buying things for the kids house. i 're-did' the 'children's bathroom' for them (with wednesday's permission, of course. she gave me a them (fish pond) .. so i found a wonderful shower curtain with fish, frogs and turtles .. got all the little sink-top accessories to go with it .. and lots of new bath towels and wash cloths in all the colors in the showr curtain ... i got several new towel racks and potty tissue holder ... and i'm getting ready to assemble one of those 'over the toilet' shelves' ... they have a fairly small bathoom .. or i would have gotten another piece of furniture to put in there.

AND .. i've done their home all FALL with wreaths and swags and live mums .. and outside with pumpkins and a scarecrow and ccute sign and more mums.

AND .. this morning i planted about a hundred 'spring bulbs' ... oh what fun!!!

have to go back home and plant spring bulbs at the cabins too! (autumn decorating is already done there!)

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Holiday Scrap/Notebooks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page