Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Worst injuries you've dealt with(graphic photos)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Worst injuries you've dealt with(graphic photos) Next Topic  

KansasFarmMomma
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

91 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  6:58:52 PM  Show Profile
Murphy's law never fails when it comes to animals. I went to school as a vet tech and saw all sorts of crazy things. I've always found it fascinating to see what happened, how it happened and how it turned out in the end. Please share your photos and stories!

These are a couple of my own animals injuries.

This is a Red Ear Slider turtle that came to me as a rescue(I ran a reptile rescue in NY before I moved to Kansas). She had a HORRIBLE double eye infection. She ended up on two weeks of injected antibiotics and cleared up nicely. I had her for another 5 years before rehoming her to someone else looking for a turtle.

This is our German Shorthair Pointer's leg. She was about a year old and decided she wanted to try and jump the chain link fence to follow me as I went to feed the horses. Her body went over but her back leg went through one of the links at the top and she ended up hanging from her leg. I had been walking away from her when I heard her start yelling. I ran back and grabbed her. I was yelling at the house trying to get my husband to come out and help. He came out as I was getting her into the pickup. I knew as soon as I looked at it that she had broke it. She started going into shock on the way to the vet but ended up stabilizing once we got there. It was a sunday afternoon so the only person around was a vet tech. She went ahead and gave her some sedation & pain meds. The vet made it there a few hours later and was able to do surgery to set the bones. She was in a cast for about 6 weeks. Now you'd never know she had ever hurt it.

This was one of the horses we had bought to train & resell named Blu. BEAUTIFUL horse, very well bred, well put together. She had a lot of scar tissue on her hind leg from an accident she had with a panel as a weanling. She was totally sound, it just looked bad. She had been in a pasture next to the geldings and decided she wanted to be with them instead. She jumped a 5' fence to get in with them. In the process, she caught the scar tissue on the fence and tore it open again. She healed up nicely over a few months and never gained any more scar tissue. We sold her to a barrel racer who plans to take her up to the local college vet hospital. The idea is that they will do surgery to remove the scar tissue and then do a skin graft over the bone to try and make it smooth again. I can't wait to see this girl run barrels because she is FAST!

Nicole
Farmgirl # 4209
www.bearpawphotography.weebly.com
www.KShappyhomemaker.wordpress.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2012 :  8:16:29 PM  Show Profile
I hope they all are okay! Interesting. Thanks for the pictures.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  6:45:02 PM  Show Profile
yes isn't it amazing what can happen to an animal in just a few seconds but thank goodness they had you there to handle the situation & get them help right away.....I had to teach my MIL how to care for her turtle that lived in her little pond...poor thing was a mess with an infection around its neck...she never thought to check the turtle when she cleaned out the tiny pond in her back yard & some how it got this infection that worked its way onto the shell so i had to pull off the top lay of some of the shell scales that were covered in infection, clean & medicate the neck & keep it in a box while I was there visiting...I too, have had a dog do the over the chain link fence & she caught her side on a top wire & ripped her side from back to stomach open...thank goodness it didn't open her insides...but took 160 stitches....like you it was at night on a weekend but at that time we lived on a military base & was able to find a vet to help within hours of it.......you would think they all have enough to worry...the animals that is of fleas, ticks 7 flies but they sure do things to worry us...thank you for the pics & how they are doing now....Michele'

Chickens RULE!
hen #2622
theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2012 :  8:04:11 PM  Show Profile
I had a Springer Spaniel years ago, and one day I was fishing in the lake. I put a big worm on the hook, and as I was throwing the line in the water, Holly, jumped and caught the hook in her mouth. The hook was in her top lip. She was doing a lot of screaming. Luckily my hubby ran and got a tool cutter and just cut the hook in the middle and took it out. I put medicine on the cut, it healed great.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2012 :  1:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Great stories, and thanks for the pictures! I think that is one of the things that people don't realize when they get into animals - the injuries that can happen/sicknesses/etc. It doesn't take long until you get really good at fixing up your animals! We just had a cat break its leg here three weeks ago in a freak collision with our dog. Splinted it and a bunch of other tricks...and she's good as new!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com

www.amydingmann.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Worst injuries you've dealt with(graphic photos) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page